PDA

View Full Version : Lenten Fridays - No Meat?

IndieMatty
02-25-2005, 03:13 PM
For you Catholics out there, does anyone adhere to this tradition/rule?

I actually do, for a variety of reasons, mainly, it's like the least I can do, and its fun to have a day I have to eat pizza.

EDIT: Just in case, I am not a religious zealot, and the choices are purposely sarcasm/over zealous. I do not believe you actually have the blood of Christ on your hands.

daryn
02-25-2005, 03:16 PM
no meat for me

IndieMatty
No meat, and no vote.

Shajen
I was raised catholic, but I no longer adhere to Lent.

pshreck
I was a practicing Catholic up until 18/19 when taking the Catholic church seriously became a tough effort, and defending them became impossible (in line with my own developed morals in life). I did it up until then, but now I don't.

I think most practicing Catholics actualy do this, its not some quirky thing that your supposed to be able to skip out on.

peachy
02-25-2005, 03:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
no meat for me

[/ QUOTE ]

no god for me

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-25-2005, 03:18 PM
I am Catholic and do not eat meat on lenten fridays.

WDC
02-25-2005, 03:18 PM
I don't because it is a dumbass rule with no religious reasoning behind it. I do however partake of the McDonald Fish filets for a dollar after 4 just because they are good.

IndieMatty
02-25-2005, 03:19 PM
Well, whats weird is I don't go to church, but I still adhere to this. I know plenty of people who consider themselves catholic who just skip all this these days.

Alobar
02-25-2005, 03:19 PM
you forgot the option "the catholic church is full of hypocrits and changed it from no meat at all during lent, to no meat on fridays, because people complained to much"

peachy
02-25-2005, 03:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't because it is a dumbass rule with no religious reasoning behind it. I do however partake of the McDonald Fish filets for a dollar after 4 just because they are good.

[/ QUOTE ]

isnt this what most of religion is?? rules with no reasoning ASIDE from "traditional societal morals" (ie. no killing, etc)

daryn
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
No meat, and no vote.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think polls are stupid

much like in real life, i don't vote!

Patrick del Poker Grande
[ QUOTE ]
you forgot the option "the catholic church is full of hypocrits and changed it from no meat at all during lent, to no meat on fridays, because people complained to much"

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks for that.

Tron
I usually make a conscious effort not to eat meat, but sometimes I forget and then I feel really bad... So I voted "No."

pshreck
[ QUOTE ]
Well, whats weird is I don't go to church, but I still adhere to this. I know plenty of people who consider themselves catholic who just skip all this these days.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, thats why I said 'practicing' catholic. Im not talking about all the people who like to call themselves catholic, but dont adhere to any aspect of the religion. Unfortunately, catholicism doesnt allow for faith alone. Main reason protestantism was created, actually.

IndieMatty
02-25-2005, 03:21 PM
Well there is a religious meaning, you have to stretch a bit.

Basically...by giving up certain items for lent (at the very least meat) it gets us closer to the "have nots"; and supposedly this will allow you to relate to those who are less fortunate, or different; and love thy brother as Jesus loved all of us....

or in the 1500s there was a shortage of cattle and livestock and they church wanted to satiate the masses...either or. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tron
02-25-2005, 03:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure if you read the question or not, but that doesn't even make sense as an answer. Just so you know.

peachy
02-25-2005, 03:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No meat, and no vote.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think polls are stupid

[/ QUOTE ]
u and everyone like u r the reason this country has gone to poo....its sad u dont care enough about ur "part" in this society...go figure

daryn
No meat, and no vote.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think polls are stupid

[/ QUOTE ]
u and everyone like u r the reason this country has gone to poo....its sad u dont care enough about ur "part" in this society...go figure

[/ QUOTE ]

U R SO STUPID OMG LOL!

pshreck
[ QUOTE ]

or in the 1500s there was a shortage of cattle and livestock and they church wanted to satiate the masses...either or. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I think the historical reasoning behind it was fish sales in the mediterranean were getting crushed. By eliminating meat during lent, they created a new fish buying season and saved the market.

IndieMatty
02-25-2005, 03:23 PM
I was just throwing that out there. I know I am not considered a practicing catholic. But I do believe in the catholic life lessons and most of the doctorine, so I choose to align myselfs with that.

peachy
02-25-2005, 03:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No meat, and no vote.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think polls are stupid

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

U R SO STUPID OMG LOL!

[/ QUOTE ]

uummm i guess u dont know what sarcasim is...makes me wonder whos stupid

Shajen
02-25-2005, 03:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No meat, and no vote.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think polls are stupid

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

U R SO STUPID OMG LOL!

[/ QUOTE ]

Her writing is so bad I had to put her on the ignored user list. Sorry peachy. You write horribly.

peachy
02-25-2005, 03:25 PM
2 down in one day...score!

pshreck
02-25-2005, 03:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was just throwing that out there. I know I am not considered a practicing catholic. But I do believe in the catholic life lessons and most of the doctorine, so I choose to align myselfs with that.

[/ QUOTE ]

That basically makes you protestant, by not practicing... just look at what is required of catholics. Thats why I stopped calling myself a non practicing catholic... its an oxymoron. Im just nothing now.

daryn
02-25-2005, 03:26 PM
No meat, and no vote.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think polls are stupid

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

U R SO STUPID OMG LOL!

[/ QUOTE ]

uummm i guess u dont know what sarcasim is...makes me wonder whos stupid

[/ QUOTE ]

makes YOU wonder. nobody else has that problem.

you are the quintessential "dumb broad".

IndieMatty
02-25-2005, 03:26 PM
It does not make me a Protestant. There are MAJOR differences in the two religions.

Do you see why?

daryn
02-25-2005, 03:27 PM
It does not make me a Protestant. There are MAJOR differences in the two religions.

Do you see why?

[/ QUOTE ]

this is true.

Alobar
02-25-2005, 03:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure if you read the question or not, but that doesn't even make sense as an answer. Just so you know.

[/ QUOTE ]

hmm, youa re correct, my answer doesnt match the question.....my statement still stands tho

peachy
02-25-2005, 03:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hahah uve made my day twice today!! i luv being thought of as the dumb broad...i take it as great compliment...thank u sir

mmbt0ne
I haven't regularly attended mass since I was 8, but I still try to make an effort to stick to the Catholic rituals. I don't really know why, I guess being a Baptist was just a little boring. I had sushi today, so I'm still good.

As for everyone else, this wasn't a "What do you think about religion" thread. If you are so insecure in your beliefs that you feel the need to call out everyone else in a post that wasn't even related to that, then maybe you have some reevaluating to do.

pshreck
[ QUOTE ]

Do you see why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if you admit by not practicing, you are actually breaking many beliefs that you hold (communion, for one). There are some major differences between the religions, but like most major religions, they are actually very similar in most core beliefs.

IndieMatty
02-25-2005, 03:29 PM
Daryn, just a guess, but how many years of Catholic school did you attend?

I went to Catholic HS, and a Jesuit College.

daryn
02-25-2005, 03:29 PM

[/ QUOTE ]

hahah uve made my day twice today!! i luv being thought of as the dumb broad...i take it as great compliment...thank u sir

[/ QUOTE ]

you must go through life very happy.

daryn
02-25-2005, 03:30 PM
Daryn, just a guess, but how many years of Catholic school did you attend?

I went to Catholic HS, and a Jesuit College.

[/ QUOTE ]

nah i went to regular public school.

pokerjo22
02-25-2005, 03:30 PM
While I'd love to be a Christian, I unfortunately wear glasses, and so I'm banned (Lev 21:20). I decided to devote my life to hedonism instead. I'll probably have a steak tonight. Happy birthday Matty /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Shajen
02-25-2005, 03:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Happy birthday Matty /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah man, happy B-day.

peachy
02-25-2005, 03:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i really really do...i dont think ive been depressed a day in my life and it takes a ton to make me even "sad", ignorance must be bliss eh? /images/graemlins/blush.gif

IndieMatty
02-25-2005, 03:34 PM
Change that to 16 and we're right there. I make it to mass like 10 times a year....(weddings/funerals/easter/mothers day and xmas)

That's roughly 20% of my reccomended communion intake.

Luckily I paid a lot of money in Apologies to Martin Luther so I should be good.. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

<font color="white">(lets get some theology humor up in this BIATCH!) </font>

IndieMatty
02-25-2005, 03:35 PM
danke...see you in hell. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

IndieMatty
02-25-2005, 03:36 PM
thanks bud.

daryn
02-25-2005, 03:36 PM

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i really really do...i dont think ive been depressed a day in my life and it takes a ton to make me even "sad", ignorance must be bliss eh? /images/graemlins/blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

evidently so!

pshreck
02-25-2005, 03:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I haven't regularly attended mass since I was 8, but I still try to make an effort to stick to the Catholic rituals. I don't really know why, I guess being a Baptist was just a little boring. I had sushi today, so I'm still good.

As for everyone else, this wasn't a "What do you think about religion" thread. If you are so insecure in your beliefs that you feel the need to call out everyone else in a post that wasn't even related to that, then maybe you have some reevaluating to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

How were you catholic and a baptist? Is there something I am missing?

turnipmonster
could you guys break down some beliefs that are held by catholics that differentiates you from protestants? I'm interested in general answers as well as personal ones, just curious as I know little about catholicism. I would expect the modern answers to differ from the ones traditionally given.

--turnipmonster

wh1t3bread
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No meat, and no vote.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think polls are stupid

[/ QUOTE ]

You really should vote or else P. Diddy will come kill you. Just remember it's always going to be between a Giant Douche and a Turd Sandwich. See Southpark.

pokerjo22
02-25-2005, 03:39 PM
I'll look forward to it - it should be more fun down there. Anyway, isn't Mormon the right answer to religion? Or am I getting South Park mixed up with my high school education again?

pshreck
02-25-2005, 03:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
could you guys break down some beliefs that are held by catholics that differentiates you from protestants? I'm interested in general answers as well as personal ones, just curious as I know little about catholicism. I would expect the modern answers to differ from the ones traditionally given.

--turnipmonster

[/ QUOTE ]

Catholics believe you need to do good deeds to get into heaven, MOST (not all?) Protestants don't.

Catholics believe the Virgin Mary is holy and worthy of being prayed to, Protestants don't.

All Catholics must be baptized, untrue of all protestants.

Many protestant sects believe faith and belief is all you really need to be a good christian, while Catholics (and this is what I hated about it) think you need to participate in the church, follow the sacrements, spread the word... etc.

Note that none of the protestant generalizations apply to all protestant sects, as there are many different ones with different beliefs.

daryn
02-25-2005, 03:40 PM

--turnipmonster

[/ QUOTE ]

i think it is all about recognizing the pope.

but who wouldn't recognize the guy??? he's like the mcdonalds logo.

mmbt0ne
02-25-2005, 03:42 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

When my dad lived with us we went to mass every week. When my parents got divorced and my dad moved out, we started going to a bunch of different churches, and ended up at a 'Baptist' church after a couple years. I put in quotes because it is a lot different than what most people would expect out of a Southern Baptist church. Whenever I go up to my dad's, or go visit his relatives, it's Catholicism for me.

Oh yeah, I went to St. James when I lived in Corpus, but when we moved to PTC, there wasn't a catholic school nearby, and the public schools were really good, so that ended that.

pshreck
02-25-2005, 03:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When my dad lived with us we went to mass every week. When my parents got divorced and my dad moved out, we started going to a bunch of different churches, and ended up at a 'Baptist' church after a couple years. I put in quotes because it is a lot different than what most people would expect out of a Southern Baptist church. Whenever I go up to my dad's, or go visit his relatives, it's Catholicism for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, but baptists are protestants, I am still confused.

IndieMatty
02-25-2005, 03:43 PM
Off the top of my head, is the sacraments, the conversion of wine and bread, and the Pope. Lot's of doctorine and official social stands (abortion/death penalty and such). Catholics also hold Mary and the Trinity in much higher regard.

Here's a site:

Blood Drinkers Vs White Breads (http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_capr.htm)

mmbt0ne
02-25-2005, 03:45 PM
It seems like a pretty smooth flow of events. I don't know what you're missing.

IndieMatty
02-25-2005, 03:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
isn't Mormon the right answer to religion?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, how do you think Steve Young made the hall of fame?

pshreck
02-25-2005, 03:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It seems like a pretty smooth flow of events. I don't know what you're missing.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he is saying that he practiced both catholicism and protestantism in his life, than I get it. I thought he was saying his father was catholic and they went to southern baptist services, whics doesnt make any sense.

Prof. Chaos
02-25-2005, 03:50 PM
I was raised Catholic, but I don't go out of my way to not eat meat on fridays.

IndieMatty
02-25-2005, 03:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Many protestant sects believe faith and belief is all you really need to be a good christian, while Catholics (and this is what I hated about it) think you need to participate in the church, follow the sacrements, spread the word... etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is not my intention to get into a religion debate, especially since I am no poster boy for anything remotely pious; but seriously how can you hate that Catholicism stresses those points? I mean it's not for me, and probably for most of the intelligent/selfish (in a good way) youth of today, but overall the sacraments/participating in a church group and spreading the word are VERY positive things.

Let's call a spade a spade, we hate those things because we are for the most part lazy and hedonistic by nature. We want to take the easiest way out and have a lot of fun..there's no doubt in my mind that if I followed Religion by the book, I would be a better more socially responsible person.

Luckily I like being a bit of a bastard.

IndieMatty
02-25-2005, 03:51 PM
God, what the [censored] did you do without Chipotle today?

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-25-2005, 03:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It is not my intention to get into a religion debate, especially since I am no poster boy for anything remotely pious; but seriously how can you hate that Catholicism stresses those points? I mean it's not for me, and probably for most of the intelligent/selfish (in a good way) youth of today, but overall the sacraments/participating in a church group and spreading the word are VERY positive things.

Let's call a spade a spade, we hate those things because we are for the most part lazy and hedonistic by nature. We want to take the easiest way out and have a lot of fun..there's no doubt in my mind that if I followed Religion by the book, I would be a better more socially responsible person.

Luckily I like being a bit of a bastard.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well said.

mmbt0ne
02-25-2005, 03:52 PM
Oh ok. Yes, my dad is Catholic, and yes when I go to his house we go to Catholic services. However, I primarily lived with just my mom from about 3rd grade on, and she wanted to go to the Baptist church.

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-25-2005, 03:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
God, what the [censored] did you do without Chipotle today?

[/ QUOTE ]
I dunno. I'm getting pretty hungry, though.

Rico Suave
02-25-2005, 03:53 PM
Indiematty:

[ QUOTE ]
For you Catholics out there, does anyone adhere to this tradition/rule?

[/ QUOTE ]

Salad and Cheese pizza for me today.

--Rico

pshreck
02-25-2005, 03:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Let's call a spade a spade, we hate those things because we are for the most part lazy and hedonistic by nature.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is about the opposite of calling a spade a spade. I didn't like having to think that everyone on earth who isn't catholic needs to be saved in some way. Changing beliefs is somethign serious, and chalking it up it being because you are lazy is quite wrong.

turnipmonster
02-25-2005, 03:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

overall the sacraments/participating in a church group and spreading the word are VERY positive things.

[/ QUOTE ]

positive in regards to what? positive for the individual, the church as a whole, or the world? or all three?

--turnipmonster

IndieMatty
02-25-2005, 03:58 PM
Your misinterpeting my point, or more likely I am not communicating it well.

Most people are too lazy to want to work to be a better person. They use reasons like you listed on why they are "not religious".

Thats it. I see your point too.

Prof. Chaos
02-25-2005, 03:59 PM
debating about religion is pointless.

IndieMatty
02-25-2005, 04:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
positive in regards to what? positive for the individual, the church as a whole, or the world? or all three?

--turnipmonster

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say positive for the general world. Now remember, I'm talking about them in their very basic core functions. I know the Church (especially Catholicism) is responsible for a lot of bad stuff.

But, going to Church (participating in group that preaches a positive message each weak), The Sacraments -7 acts that are supposed to make you a better person, by understanding God's love and his sacrifice for us, and spreading the word and by word, I take it as Christs message, which everyone can agree was a positive thing.

P.S. Just to note, I'm really not religious; I like booze/gambling/ilicit sex and drugs more then an ok clone of Peace John Nickle. I just think it always raises an interesting conversation, and if conversed lightly just the discussion can be a very positive experience.

IndieMatty
02-25-2005, 04:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
debating about religion is pointless.

[/ QUOTE ]

what about debating that debates on religion is not pointless?

Yeah, it's not my intention to debate.

Reef
02-25-2005, 04:06 PM
It's all about the Tuna helper on fridays

turnipmonster
02-25-2005, 04:08 PM
it's interesting, I guess it depends a lot on what you think of what the church teaches, whether it is positive or negative. if it's positive, then you have a good point.

daryn
02-25-2005, 04:09 PM
it's interesting, I guess it depends a lot on what you think of what the church teaches, whether it is positive or negative. if it's positive, then you have a good point.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't think there is any debate on that point (or is there?). the church in general teaches good deeds, golden rule type stuff. i don't see how it could be bad.

IndieMatty
02-25-2005, 04:12 PM
I have to say, the theology classes I have taken at my Catholic schools have been very liberal and only stress the positives. It's all about the translation. There are so many different sects of Catholic teachings, Marianists/Jesuits/Franciscans/Dominicans, it's not as clear cut as "The Catholic Church says this...".

That being said..there are many negatives to official stances of any organized group, and some of the official edicts from Rome in the last 100 years have been the most negative.

turnipmonster
02-25-2005, 04:13 PM
there is always debate, I think. what I would question is maybe not what the church is telling you to do, but why it is telling you do it.

--turnipmonster

peachy
02-25-2005, 04:14 PM
religion is bad b/c its a mass dillusion to help people feel better about "life", it brings about a form of structure in its naive state....
Freud and James were out there on a few things...but on this they hit the nail on the head

IndieMatty
02-25-2005, 04:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
its bad b/c its a mass dillusion to help people feel better about "life", it brings about a form of structure in its naive state....
Freud and James were out there on a few things...but on this they hit the nail on the head

[/ QUOTE ]

You know that it's basically as Daryn said "the golden rule" Do unto others....what could be bad about that again?

daryn
02-25-2005, 04:20 PM
there is always debate, I think. what I would question is maybe not what the church is telling you to do, but why it is telling you do it.

--turnipmonster

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't think it matters actually. if someone is preaching the golden rule, does it matter why they are preaching it?

turnipmonster
02-25-2005, 04:24 PM
yes, I think it matters for a bunch of reasons. maybe in a vacum it doesn't, but for instance say you teach someone a moral system entirely based on a fear of retribution by the easter bunny. now, one day say that person finds out the easter bunny doesn't really exist. what happens to that moral system?

--turnipmonster

daryn
02-25-2005, 04:26 PM
yes, I think it matters for a bunch of reasons. maybe in a vacum it doesn't, but for instance say you teach someone a moral system entirely based on a fear of retribution by the easter bunny. now, one day say that person finds out the easter bunny doesn't really exist. what happens to that moral system?

--turnipmonster

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm not seeing the difference. what if it was impossible to find out if the easter bunny existed?

it's like, helping out the homeless... good thing right? how could it be bad? does it matter that some huge CEO is urging you to help the homeless so that someday they can become wealthy and buy his product?

wh1t3bread
02-25-2005, 04:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Salad and Cheese pizza for me today.

--Rico

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheese Pizza has no meat. Who make's pizza? ITALIANS. Where is the Catholic Church based? The Vatican...which (although its autonomous) is in ITALY. Co-incidence? I think not. It is pretty clear that meatless Friday's were invented by the Catholic church in order to sell more pizzas and thus creating more wealth in Italy.

j/k /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

MEbenhoe
02-25-2005, 04:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

P.S. Just to note, I'm really not religious; I like booze/gambling/ilicit sex and drugs more then an ok clone of Peace John Nickle. I just think it always raises an interesting conversation, and if conversed lightly just the discussion can be a very positive experience.

[/ QUOTE ]

matt try out non-denominational. Thats what I consider myself and from all your posts in this thread you sound a lot like me in your beliefs.

turnipmonster
02-25-2005, 04:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

it's like, helping out the homeless... good thing right? how could it be bad?

[/ QUOTE ]

lots of ways to help the homeless that are bad. it depends on how you are helping them. if you are helping them by giving them crack/alcohol/money, then that might be bad. if you are giving them free meals every day and enabling them, that might be bad as well.

edit: obvious counterargument is this is not considered "helping". it's not that clear cut, however. giving a bum money could be helping or hurting him.

things are very rarely as simple as, the church teaches the golden rule and therefore that is good. to me, it depends a lot on why and how the church is teaching, as well as what else goes along with it.

--turnipmonster

IndieMatty
02-25-2005, 04:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
matt try out non-denominational. Thats what I consider myself and from all your posts in this thread you sound a lot like me in your beliefs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm perhaps, but I love the taste of the whafers and occasionally alter boys.
/images/graemlins/blush.gif
What?

Rico Suave
02-25-2005, 04:39 PM
Whitebread:

[ QUOTE ]
Cheese Pizza has no meat. Who make's pizza? ITALIANS. Where is the Catholic Church based? The Vatican...which (although its autonomous) is in ITALY. Co-incidence? I think not. It is pretty clear that meatless Friday's were invented by the Catholic church in order to sell more pizzas and thus creating more wealth in Italy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bastards! I feel so ......sheepish.

I am surprised Bernie has not come up with this one before. Perhaps I just missed it.

--Rico

daryn
02-25-2005, 04:40 PM
yeah, help is help, and i would consider your examples to not be help.

oh well we disagree. good things are good, regardless of the reason.

pokerjo22
02-25-2005, 04:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i don't think it matters actually. if someone is preaching the golden rule, does it matter why they are preaching it?

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is more when the church doesn't preach the 'golden rule' - intolerance to homosexuals, banning of contraception and the fact that animals don't go to heaven all spring to mind.

IndieMatty
02-25-2005, 04:54 PM
FWIW, the Catholic church is one of the few Religions that does not believe that being homosexual is a choice or a sin in and of itself.

Now ACTs of homosexuality...well by golly, you might as well be stomping on newborn kittens.

As I said, I take the good, I don't take the bad. IMO the good stuff outweighs the bad.

It's like taking the Charlotte Rae Episodes and totally ignoring the Cloris Leachmans ones.

Huh?

Rico Suave
02-25-2005, 05:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The problem is more when the church doesn't preach the 'golden rule' - intolerance to homosexuals, banning of contraception and the fact that animals don't go to heaven all spring to mind

[/ QUOTE ]

Am I the only one who finds this funny?

--Rico

daryn
02-25-2005, 05:00 PM

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is more when the church doesn't preach the 'golden rule' - intolerance to homosexuals, banning of contraception and the fact that animals don't go to heaven all spring to mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

your comment is totally irrelevant to the conversation at hand. the point is, if something IS good, does the reason matter?

pokerjo22
02-25-2005, 05:01 PM
I think the official line is that it IS ok to stomp on newborn kittens, but I might be wrong.

I agree really, I just don't think religion is necessary to find a 'golden rule'.

And it also relies on argument from authority, which makes my skin crawl.

pokerjo22
02-25-2005, 05:04 PM
I think so yes, because the means by which it is accomplished necessitates the bad. As soon as you say, you should live a good life cos this book says so, you have to take everything else in the book at face value. Whereas if you say, you should live a good life because in general it makes the world a nicer place to live in, that is a whole different thing. You can't just ignore the means by which its accomplished IMHO.

wh1t3bread
02-25-2005, 05:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
The problem is more when the church doesn't preach the 'golden rule' - intolerance to homosexuals, banning of contraception and the fact that animals don't go to heaven all spring to mind

[/ QUOTE ]

--Rico

[/ QUOTE ]

No you arent.

P.S.

I think plants should go to heaven too.

P.S.S.

But I'm not sold yet on the members of the Fungi Kingdom.

IndieMatty
02-25-2005, 05:07 PM
I think the way you look at it is very common. So many of us were taught that God is a version of Authority.

I was taught and I like to think that he's a loving God who only wants the best for you. He sent Jesus down here to preach love and tolerance to people who, at the time, were being very hateful and intolerant.

I also believe that:

Michael Jackson is just weird.
and
Barry Bonds is being persecuted because he is black.

I'm just a half glass full dude.

TimM
02-25-2005, 05:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the fact that animals don't go to heaven

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Animals have no souls, so they can't go anywhere. Sucks for them.

Of course, I believe the whole concept of a soul is fiction. Sucks for us too.

turnipmonster
02-25-2005, 05:12 PM
it's easy to have a knee jerk response to something like that, but the more interesting question to ask is why we think we are different than other animals?

mmbt0ne
02-25-2005, 05:14 PM
We humans were created in God's image. It's really not that interesting of a question. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

IndieMatty
02-25-2005, 05:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Of course, I believe the whole concept of a soul is fiction.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying your a better dancer then Rick James?

oh wait, that soul...

And the answer is probably yes, because well.... he's dead.

IndieMatty
02-25-2005, 05:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
it's easy to have a knee jerk response to something like that, but the more interesting question to ask is why we think we are different than other animals?

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you read Ishmael?

TimM
02-25-2005, 05:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because the people who made this stuff up wanted to be able to use animals in any way they saw fit. So they were said to have no souls and that mankind had dominion over them.

turnipmonster
02-25-2005, 05:17 PM
yeah I've read all his stuff. don't agree with it all, but I think it's very interesting and agree with a lot of it. I really enjoy his attitude of questioning very basic assumptions that we make without realizing. what did you think of it?

--turnipmonster

TimM
02-25-2005, 05:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Are you saying your a better dancer then Rick James?

And the answer is probably yes, because well.... he's dead.

[/ QUOTE ]

You haven't seen me dance then.

IndieMatty
02-25-2005, 05:23 PM
I think we are both talking about Daniel Quinn...and I liked it a lot. Again, I don't agree with it all, but I think he is the best thing thats out there as far as questioning your entire belief system.

On a side note, because I'm rapidly getting pretty damn drunk here at work...(hence the flurry of posts)

That and Glengarry Glen Ross were both "taught" to me in college in my Business Ethics class...actually because of that book for a while, my goal was to get out of the rat-race and try to return to some sort of semblence of my counter culture roots by teaching Business Ethics...

Finding poker was a greeaaaeat way to accomplish that goal.

Rico Suave
02-25-2005, 05:32 PM
turnipmonster:

[ QUOTE ]
it's easy to have a knee jerk response to something like that,

[/ QUOTE ]

No knee jerk response here...I simply found it amusing.

Persecution of Homosexual

Disallowing the use of Contracepton

Not allowing animals into heaven.

It just struck me as funny. Surely you can see how.

PS I love animals as much as the next guy....and if I ever make it to heaven, I will be disappointed if my dogs aren't up there with me.

--Rico