PDA

View Full Version : Is Twoine that bad?

Toro
02-25-2005, 03:05 PM
Atlanta trades Antoine Walker + cash to the Celtics for Gary Payton, Tom Gugliotta, Michael Stewart and the Celtics lesser 1st round pick. Reportedly, Gugliotta and Stewart were included in the deal just to make the numbers work as Atlanta has no interest in either one.

Now it's reported that Atlanta will buy out Payton's contract and release him and that the Celtics are one of the teams interested and may get him back.

I just don't get it. What the hell does Atlanta get out of this but a low first round pick. The only thing I can think of is that Antoine is so bad now that Atlanta feels this is addition by subtraction.

I guess we'll find out soon, Celtics fans.

mmbt0ne
02-25-2005, 03:18 PM
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, 'Twoine is that bad, and this is coming from a die hard UK fan. He busted hard in the NBA. I'd rather have just a draft pick than him, and hopefully we can free up space to get some exciting players. Not even big name free agents, just people who will be fun to go watch.

Popinjay
02-25-2005, 03:19 PM
Atlanta can't win right now, they know it, so they don't try to.

Shajen
02-25-2005, 03:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Basketball in Atlanta is like baseball in Montreal used to be. No one cares, no one shows up, and the team doesn't really compete. (94 'Spos are the exception obviously)

IndieMatty
02-25-2005, 03:25 PM
Are you <gasp> an Atlanta Hawks fan? They exist?

mmbt0ne
02-25-2005, 03:33 PM
I had a lime green Jason Terry jersey, but that's gone now that he is. I also tried to buy a 'Sheed jersey for the one game he was on the team, but I couldn't find one.

If we can get a big man, and a PG to go with the Joshes, we'll be in good shape. Hopefully we can get a good PG in the draft this year, since a lot of them should be coming out.

Jack of Arcades
02-25-2005, 07:27 PM
Antoine has been one of the worst players in basketball for a long time now.

tbach24
02-25-2005, 08:03 PM
I haven't done my research on this yet, but my guess is that Googs has an expiring contract that Atl can use in the FA market this offseason.

Danny Ainge is the best GM on the planet.

tbach24
02-25-2005, 08:09 PM
Two non-all-star years and suddenly he's one of the worst players? Give me a break. The Celtics will go deep in the playoffs.

Toro
02-26-2005, 12:46 AM
24 points, 10 rebounds and he stayed on the box for the most part. Not a bad debut.

istewart
02-26-2005, 12:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hell of an exaggeration. He's lazy though and he just chucks em up.

ClaytonN
02-26-2005, 12:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The guy who's running the team now (Billy Knight) is different, though. He's making real smart moves in rebuilding a franchise.

I'm no diehard hawks fan, but I like the future. Atlanta knew they weren't going to keep Antoine Walker after this year, so we got another first round draft pick.

We got two first rounders this last year (Josh Smith and Josh Childress), and we'll get two first rounders this next year. Our entire roster was revamped (one starter, Boris Diaw, was on the team last year).

We'll have 2 first rounders, and $20 in free cap space.

For the first time in 6 or 7 years I'm actually anticipating a Hawks season.

Jake (The Snake)
02-26-2005, 01:00 AM
Antoine Walker is -EV. Big time.

Jake (The Snake)
02-26-2005, 01:01 AM
Just chucking them up is worse than you think.

ClaytonN
02-26-2005, 01:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I just don't get it. What the hell does Atlanta get out of this but a low first round pick. The only thing I can think of is that Antoine is so bad now that Atlanta feels this is addition by subtraction.

[/ QUOTE ]

To re-iterate by answering this, Toine's contract is up after this year. The Hawks would never sign him for a big deal, obviously.

So, both sides win. 'Toine goes back to a contender and Atlanta frees up more buying room to get two draft picks next year, not to mention money to spare.

Jack of Arcades
02-26-2005, 03:58 AM
Well, OK. Not for a "long time." Definitely this year and last year. He's been horrible.

jon593
02-26-2005, 04:54 AM
antoine and pierce bring out the best in each other. that didnt happen tonight because paul was on the bench most of the night. they were one of the best duos in the nba before antoine was traded and they will be that once again

Toro
02-27-2005, 11:59 PM
Celts 120 Suns 113

Walker 31 points, 13 rebounds

Looking good so far celts fans

Chris Daddy Cool
02-28-2005, 12:17 AM
i don't understand why the celtics would want walker back after such a messy breakup. it makes no sense to me.

Toro
02-28-2005, 12:26 AM
They got him dirt cheap and with another scorer/rebounder they can win a weak division.

mmbt0ne
02-28-2005, 12:49 AM
Enjoy him. I'm glad he's doing well, and I hope he carries you guys deep into the playoffs. Maybe being stuck on the abortion of a basketball team that is the Hawks let him realize how good he had it in Boston. He was doing nothing for Atlanta, and there was no reason to believe that keeping him would be a good move for the team, if it was even possible.

Drac
02-28-2005, 12:58 AM
Two words come to mind when I think of Walker

Selfish
Cancer

jon593
02-28-2005, 02:33 AM
its because danny ainge realized he was wrong for trading him in the first place. pierce and antoine are 1 of the best duos in the nba they always worked greta together.

how can you call antoine selfish? he averages about 4 assist per game thats alot more than most players that are considered great players. he is 1 of the best all around players in teh nba he can score rebound and is a great passer

Popinjay
02-28-2005, 02:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
its because danny ainge realized he was wrong for trading him in the first place. pierce and antoine are 1 of the best duos in the nba they always worked greta together.

how can you call antoine selfish? he averages about 4 assist per game thats alot more than most players that are considered great players. he is 1 of the best all around players in teh nba he can score rebound and is a great passer

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot of the time he jacks up threes when he is a not a very good 3 point shooter. If he can curb his appetite for shooting on a whim, I figure people would like him a lot. He is a very good ball handler for his size, good passer, and good post player.

ClaytonN
02-28-2005, 02:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Enjoy him. I'm glad he's doing well, and I hope he carries you guys deep into the playoffs. Maybe being stuck on the abortion of a basketball team that is the Hawks let him realize how good he had it in Boston. He was doing nothing for Atlanta, and there was no reason to believe that keeping him would be a good move for the team, if it was even possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

I gotta disagree here. He made plentiful contributions to the team basketball-wise.

Plus, Atlanta is not a cancer of a team. They will be a playoff contender within 2-3 seasons, guaranteed.

Plus, we got more draft picks and $20 in free salary cap space. What's not to like for the future?

Popinjay
02-28-2005, 02:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I gotta disagree here. He made plentiful contributions to the team basketball-wise.

Plus, Atlanta is not a cancer of a team. They will be a playoff contender within 2-3 seasons, guaranteed.

Plus, we got more draft picks and $20 in free salary cap space. What's not to like for the future?

[/ QUOTE ]

Contender to get into the playoffs or to go deep? Because if it's go deep I strongly disagree and if it's contender to get in, who gives a f?

thatpfunk
02-28-2005, 03:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Contender to get into the playoffs or to go deep? Because if it's go deep I strongly disagree and if it's contender to get in, who gives a f?

[/ QUOTE ]

The Celtics organization. Playoffs=$$$

sublime
02-28-2005, 08:10 AM

do you people think before you type?

sublime
02-28-2005, 08:12 AM
it makes no sense to me.

the NBA makes no sense to me.

Toro
02-28-2005, 09:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
A lot of the time he jacks up threes when he is a not a very good 3 point shooter. If he can curb his appetite for shooting on a whim, I figure people would like him a lot. He is a very good ball handler for his size, good passer, and good post player.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think both Ainge and Doc Rivers laid it out for him upon re-acquiring him and hopefully, Antwoine is finally seeing the light. For two games now he has parked down on the low post and they have been getting him the ball down there.

This has done wonders for the Celtics offense as they now are working the ball in and out, in and out until a good shot shows up. And Walker has been doing a lot of damage down low and it can only get better because he looks a tad rusty with his moves around the basket. But he's scoring enough down low and the other players are getting follow up rebounds on a lot of his misses when he draws a double.

When he broke in he was a superb low post player and driver to the basket. Why he ever got away from this game I'll never know but it's looking like the coach is forcing him to go back to this and he appears to be buying into it, even relishing it.

On one occasion last night, he had a wide open three and he very reluctantly took it since he was so wide open.

Side note: Never was a fan of Marcus Banks but he made some plays last night that were incredible including blocking a shot of a 7 footer, should make the ESPN highlights it was so good.

Another month until opening day, so keep it up Celts, we need you.