PDA

View Full Version : Overbet with AA

betgo
02-25-2005, 02:26 PM
2-table Step 2. First hand of tourney, I limp for 10 in 2nd position with AJs. Two more limpers. Middle position raises to 70 and takes pot.

Second hand of toruney, I limp with AKs UTG with the idea of limpraising. Another limper. Same miiddle position player raises to 225. Late position player pushes. I call. Original raiser calls. Late position player shows KQo. Middle position original raiser shows AA.

Given this was the second hand, and he had taken the pot with a raise the first hand, maybe the overbet was a good play, making him appear to be a maniac. Otherwise he might have only doubled up against me, rather than tripled up.

I think I had to play AKs like it was the nuts preflop in any level of a Step 2. I wouldn't play this way in a Step 5.

drewjustdrew
02-25-2005, 02:50 PM
1. I hate the limp reraise plan with AK. Not good enough of a hand.
2. Overbetting the pot with AA is a decent idea IMO early in a tourney when some players are willing to call with not that good of a hand (like AK, no offense).

You should learn to wait for a better spot. When someone prices you out of a pot, it's time to fold. I have folded preflop many times with "premium" hands in order to find better situations. I might upgrade the AK or downgrade teh opponent if I had a bigger sample size of your opponent's play than 1.5 hands.

betgo
02-25-2005, 05:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You should learn to wait for a better spot. When someone prices you out of a pot, it's time to fold. I have folded preflop many times with "premium" hands in order to find better situations.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have trouble folding AKs preflop in a Step 2. In the rebuy period of a rebuy tournament, I would generally be willing to go allin preflop with less than that. If this was a higher Step or a $100+ buyin MTT, I would probably not be willing to put in 100 BBs preflop with AKs. Here I had one opponent allin with AA and the other allin with KQo. I think you have to loosen your standards somewhat against loose opponents. It is possible I loosened them too much here.

djl508
02-25-2005, 05:58 PM
I agree that AKs shrinks up big time against a raise and an all-in. I think that's an instant fold with this unpaired hand. The all-in player is just SO likely to have aa or kk, i can't see a call here.

ThrillFactor
02-25-2005, 06:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I agree that AKs shrinks up big time against a raise and an all-in. I think that's an instant fold with this unpaired hand. The all-in player is just SO likely to have aa or kk, i can't see a call here.

[/ QUOTE ]

The all-in player can EASILY have much less than that given what we've seen from the original raiser these first two hands. Hell, it's a step 2, All-in could be trying to isolate with 88 on up, AKs-KQs or AKo.

I don't think its so bad at this level.