PDA

View Full Version : Worst ever Oscar Winner

ChristinaB
02-25-2005, 02:23 PM
Empire Magazine's List (http://www.femalefirst.co.uk/celebrity/27252004.htm)

1. Braveheart (1995)
2. A Beautiful Mind (2001)
3. The Greatest Show On Earth (1952)
4. Ordinary People (1980)
5. Forrest Gump (1994)
6. Terms Of Endearment (1983)
7. Around the World In 80 Days (1956)
8. Cavalcade (1933)
9. Rocky (1976)
10. How Green Was My Valley (1941)

Some others I felt were weak:
Gladiator
Cimmarron
American Beauty

Which do you think is the worst Oscar winner ever?

Alobar
02-25-2005, 02:31 PM
I didnt have to go much past number one to see that list is lame. Braveheart is an EXCELLENT movie. Forrest gump is very good, as was a beautiful mind. You have to also look at what other movies came out that year.

American Beuaty is an amazing film. The only other movie worth a [censored] that year was 6th sense, and Im sorry, AB is a way better movie.

pudley4
02-25-2005, 02:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Forrest gump is very good, ... You have to also look at what other movies came out that year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like Shawshank and Pulp Fiction? Don't get Clark started /images/graemlins/wink.gif

pshreck
02-25-2005, 02:50 PM
Im sticking with Titanic, even years later. I just dont get it, how was that the best picture in a year. Its not because I dont like 'chick flicks' or anything like that, I just thought this movie was stupid.

Alobar
02-25-2005, 02:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Im sticking with Titanic, even years later. I just dont get it, how was that the best picture in a year. Its not because I dont like 'chick flicks' or anything like that, I just thought this movie was stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the things im most proud of in life (how sad is this), is that I have never seen Titanic

MEbenhoe
02-25-2005, 02:52 PM
That list is terrible.

Worst ever Oscar Winner?

Every award titanic won.

MEbenhoe
02-25-2005, 02:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

One of the things im most proud of in life (how sad is this), is that I have never seen Titanic

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. I refuse to watch it.

The-Matador
02-25-2005, 02:54 PM
Titanic should be #2.

But Braveheart stays at #1. What a load of garbage that movie was.

Oh and A Beautiful Mind was probably one of the worst movies I have ever seen. The plot holes are so big you could drive a truck through them. My gf and I were actually laughing at the movie in the theatre it was so bad.

Shajen
02-25-2005, 02:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was stuck in a hotel room back when I traveled all the time, and had seen all the other movies on at the time. I watched it.

Even though I knew the ending, the movie itself was actually really well done.

pshreck
02-25-2005, 02:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Titanic should be #2.

Oh and A Beautiful Mind was probably one of the worst movies I have ever seen. The plot holes are so big you could drive a truck through them. My gf and I were actually laughing at the movie in the theatre it was so bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Plot holes... plot holes.... you do realize most of the movie was a fabrication IN HIS MIND. Did you not realize that?

Clarkmeister
02-25-2005, 02:57 PM
Braveheart is phenomenal. You are smoking some heavy duty stuff.

The-Matador
02-25-2005, 02:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Titanic should be #2.

[/ QUOTE ]

Plot holes... plot holes.... you do realize most of the movie was a fabrication IN HIS MIND. Did you not realize that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I did, and they handled it about as hamfistedly as they could have. There were real elements and fantasy elements mixed together, but nobody seems to have bothered to attempt to mesh them in any logically coherent (or even possible) way.

pshreck
02-25-2005, 02:58 PM
Yeah I dont think Titanic was 'one of the worst movies ever' or anything like that, I just thought it was below-average to average. Thinking it was stupid comes with the really lame and over-the-top gushy love scenes. Ugh.

Asufiji2004
02-25-2005, 03:02 PM
I don't think this poll holds much weight coming from a British website. Not surprised Braveheart is #1 considering it has an interesting spin on English history. This movie is fantastic, this article is retarded.

Shajen
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah I dont think Titanic was 'one of the worst movies ever' or anything like that, I just thought it was below-average to average. Thinking it was stupid comes with the really lame and over-the-top gushy love scenes. Ugh.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, but considering it was a love story or sorts, it was ok.

Jesus, I'm defending Titanic. Somebody shitpile me, stat!

Alobar
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

razor
02-25-2005, 03:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll have to watch it again. I didn't mind it but some of the dialogue seemed cheesy to me at the time. There are certainly worse movies on the list.

pshreck
02-25-2005, 03:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think this poll holds much weight coming from a British website. Not surprised Braveheart is #1 considering it has an interesting spin on English history. This movie is fantastic, this article is retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to give them credit, if some epic came out about Americans doing wrong stuff that was incredibly inaccurate, we would probably hate it to.

Correct me if I am wrong (and really do because I am not sure about this), but Braveheart is filled with tons of inaccuracies and made up events.

razor
02-25-2005, 03:07 PM
Forrest Gump is over-sentimentalized drivel IMO.

pshreck
02-25-2005, 03:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So was Shawshank, but just about everyone loved both of them. Mass public thinks over-sentimalized movies are goood.

Asufiji2004
02-25-2005, 03:09 PM
Yes some inaccuracies, but not entirely inaccurate. I don't think William Wallace banged the princess of whales, but he was a large part of the Scottish bid for freedom. Meh, bollocks to the English anyway.

WDC
02-25-2005, 03:10 PM
me neither and I never will

pshreck
02-25-2005, 03:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think William Wallace banged the princess of whales

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha that made me laugh. I forgot that he had sex with some princess in the movie, that was pretty ridiculous.

Sponger15SB
02-25-2005, 03:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So you've never seen the movie, yet you say that the worst oscar winner is every award that they won.

And the winner for stupidest 2+2 post of the year goes to?

MEbenhoe!

razor
02-25-2005, 03:13 PM
I didn't think Shawshank was over-sentementalized... but I could be wrong.

lucas9000
02-25-2005, 03:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
American Beuaty is an amazing film. The only other movie worth a [censored] that year was 6th sense, and Im sorry, AB is a way better movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

while i agree that american beauty is amazing, i think american history x came out that year too, and imo was an excellent movie worthy of being a contender.

Dominic
02-25-2005, 03:15 PM
Titanic, by far, is the worst movie ever to win Best Picture

Alobar
02-25-2005, 03:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

while i agree that american beauty is amazing, i think american history x came out that year too, and imo was an excellent movie worthy of being a contender.

[/ QUOTE ]

really? I dont rmember it being up for an oscar, was it?? AHX is definately an amazing movie, but I still would go with AB as I liked it a little bit better.

razor
02-25-2005, 03:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So you've never seen the movie, yet you say that the worst oscar winner is every award that they won.

[/ QUOTE ]

and yet, he's right (except for perhaps the Sound Effects Editing and Best Sound awards.)

Clarkmeister
02-25-2005, 03:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to give them credit, if some epic came out about Americans doing wrong stuff that was incredibly inaccurate, we would probably hate it to.

Correct me if I am wrong (and really do because I am not sure about this), but Braveheart is filled with tons of inaccuracies and made up events.

[/ QUOTE ]

That doesn't make it a bad movie though. I don't know anyone who went into or came out of that movie thinking it was a documentary.

TimTimSalabim
02-25-2005, 03:26 PM
Shakespeare In Love

pshreck
02-25-2005, 03:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]

That doesn't make it a bad movie though. I don't know anyone who went into or came out of that movie thinking it was a documentary.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, but we live in the US where we dont care much about the political history of the movie, so no one went in really caring about accuracy.

Clarkmeister
02-25-2005, 03:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, but we live in the US where we dont care much about the political history of the movie, so no one went in really caring about accuracy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, and I'm saying I don't care what the Brits think. They probably didn't like Shaka Zulu either. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

lucas9000
02-25-2005, 03:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

really? I dont rmember it being up for an oscar, was it?? AHX is definately an amazing movie, but I still would go with AB as I liked it a little bit better.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't think american history x was nominated for best picture...my point was that it should have been at least nominated.

Alobar
02-25-2005, 03:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

i don't think american history x was nominated for best picture...my point was that it should have been at least nominated.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed

shummie
02-25-2005, 03:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Shakespeare In Love

[/ QUOTE ]

Word. Although if this is a british article, there may be some kind of nationalism keeping it off the list. But that movie was terrible. I don't remember exactly what the competition was that year, but I remember there being some great alternatives.

- Jason (http://jason.strangerstudios.com)

astroglide
02-25-2005, 03:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

even if you're modestly proud of that "achievement" you're lame. you are not cooler than anybody who has seen titanic, and your heralding of it or refusal to see it on some social basis or whatever makes you worse.

andyfox
02-25-2005, 03:39 PM
It's close, but once you've experienced the tedium of The Greatest Show on Earth, you'll know it's a toss-up.

astroglide
02-25-2005, 03:39 PM
american history x really wasn't any kind of remarkable or unique story

Asufiji2004
02-25-2005, 03:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

even if you're modestly proud of that "achievement" you're lame. you are not cooler than anybody who has seen titanic, and your heralding of it or refusal to see it on some social basis or whatever makes you worse.

[/ QUOTE ]

Woooooooord. I thought this movie was pretty good. Not something I could watch once a month, but still good. It had good visuals and a great ensemble cast.

Alobar
02-25-2005, 03:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

like I said, its sad im proud of it. I however never said that makes me better than someone who has seen it. That would be just dumb.

Goodie54
02-25-2005, 03:51 PM
Braveheart, A Beutiful Mind, and !!???ROCKY!!!???, are you kidding me? These are all great movies and extremely worthy of Oscar winning.

Peace

Goodie

mike l.
02-25-2005, 03:51 PM
pretty much all oscar films suck hard. you need to go back to the 70s or 60s to find anything worth watching that was a contender. it's all crap. like 98% of all movies completely suck.

Clarkmeister
02-25-2005, 03:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
pretty much all oscar films suck hard. you need to go back to the 70s or 60s to find anything worth watching that was a contender. it's all crap. like 98% of all movies completely suck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't be so bitter at the world. Now go sell some books.

Reef
02-25-2005, 03:54 PM
a beautiful mind... forrest gump? give me a break- they earned it.

MelK
02-25-2005, 03:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Largely true. The last pick I thought was a good one was Unforgiven (I think in 1992).

Uethym
02-25-2005, 03:55 PM
This topic begins and ends with Chariots of Fire (1981).

I think my blood stopped flowing during that film.

MelK
02-25-2005, 03:59 PM
What is the fascination with mental cases?

Gump
Beautiful Mind
Chicago
Silence of Lambs
Rain Man
Cuckoos Nest

andyfox
02-25-2005, 04:04 PM
I loved when Woody Allen ordered the side of mashed yeast on Sunset Blvd., but this was a grade B- movie at best.

Clarkmeister
02-25-2005, 04:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What is the fascination with mental cases?

Gump
Beautiful Mind
Chicago
Silence of Lambs
Rain Man
Cuckoos Nest

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a large part of it is that they are incredibly easy roles to act, and all of those mentioned had great actors in the roles, leading to easy to appreciate performances that are universally acclaimed.

astroglide
02-25-2005, 04:24 PM
"Feeling pleasurable satisfaction over an act, possession, quality, or relationship by which one measures one's stature or self-worth"

why else would you be PROUD if you didn't feel like avoiding the movie was something special? if it is, seeing the movie is NOT something special (or worse).

astroglide
02-25-2005, 04:25 PM
sell books?

Toro
02-25-2005, 04:25 PM
1979 Kramer vs Kramer

Clarkmeister
02-25-2005, 04:26 PM
Read his profile.

Dantes
02-25-2005, 04:32 PM
Chicago was scintilatingly awful.

PhatTBoll
02-25-2005, 04:36 PM
Driving Miss Daisy

duh

thatpfunk
02-25-2005, 04:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
american history x really wasn't any kind of remarkable or unique story

[/ QUOTE ]

Im happy someone else finally said it. Its a good movie, interesting to watch, but there is absolutely nothing special about it. Espcially for those who listed it in their greatest films of the last 15 years...

Dr. Strangelove
02-25-2005, 05:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So was Shawshank, but just about everyone loved both of them. Mass public thinks over-sentimalized movies are goood.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is crap. Neither of these films are "over-sentimentalized." Forrest Gump is sentimental, but not enough to set off any alarm bells in this terribly cynical viewer's head. I don't think it's "excessively or insincerely emotional." And how is the shawshank redemption sentimental at all?

That said, Pulp Fiction should have won Best Picture in '94.

American Beauty is a masterpiece. A beautiful mind should not have even been nominated, though Crowe probably should have won Best Actor for his role in it. Titanic is a flaming turd. Shakespeare in Love is unwatchable; Return of the King aka, A Gay Hobbit Adventure, shouldn't have won. Chicago licked.

And I agree PShreck, American History X was a good but not exceptional film.

Alobar
02-25-2005, 05:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"Feeling pleasurable satisfaction over an act, possession, quality, or relationship by which one measures one's stature or self-worth"

why else would you be PROUD if you didn't feel like avoiding the movie was something special? if it is, seeing the movie is NOT something special (or worse).

[/ QUOTE ]

now ure just arguing semantics. If you wanna bust out dictionary defintions and argue based on that, then proud isnt the right word. I get a sense of satisfaction from my accomplishment, but that in no way relates to my sense of self worth or reflects on any feelings towards anyone else.

Lets say I completely suck balls at math. I take a math test and get a C. I can be "proud" of my C because I feel I did my best, regardless of weather everyone else who took the test all got As or all got Fs. It has nothing to do with my accomplisment in relation to anyone else. Its all internal.

Broken Glass Can
02-25-2005, 05:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
American Beauty is a masterpiece.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, we should all honor films that encourage middle aged men to go after underage girls. Let's legitimize pedophilia by handing out Oscars.

You'd fit right in with those Hollywood deviants. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Asufiji2004
02-25-2005, 05:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, we should all honor films that encourage middle aged men to go after underage girls. Let's legitimize pedophilia by handing out Oscars.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought he fantasized about her but turned her down in the end. So all he is guilty of is having a fantasy about a young attractive girl. Certainly not up there with pedophilia.

mike l.
02-25-2005, 05:59 PM
"I loved when Woody Allen ordered the side of mashed yeast on Sunset Blvd., but this was a grade B- movie at best."

oh please that movie is outstanding. manhattan is arguably better with it's exquisite cinematography, but annie hall is terrific filmmaking, there are many fairly complex techniques used and they are well integrated into what is a very funny and well rounded plot. they use subtitles, flashback, flash forward, animation, numerous interesting camera techniques, great acting and directing. it's an A rate film and A+ by hollywood standards.

Broken Glass Can
02-25-2005, 06:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I thought he fantasized about her but turned her down in the end. So all he is guilty of is having a fantasy about a young attractive girl. Certainly not up there with pedophilia.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hollywood is about putting ideas in your head. Don't worry about the story. All the old gangster films had the bad guys get it in the end to satisfy the critics. The ideas still got across through.

[censored]
02-25-2005, 06:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I didnt have to go much past number one to see that list is lame.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep not hard to see this is more agenda than reasoned opinion.

Dr. Strangelove
02-25-2005, 06:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I want the little girl! How much for the little girl?!

PS- We should gas that Spielberg guy for making a movie advocating the mass murder of Jews, right? I mean, are we gonna split hairs here? Am I wrong?

jcx
02-25-2005, 06:32 PM
Can't believe no one has said The English Patient yet. Horrible.

astroglide
02-25-2005, 06:40 PM
no i'm not. i haven't been to a mariah carey concert. i'm not proud of that fact. if i were, it would be because i looked down on mariah carey's fans and didn't want to be associated with them.

Rushmore
02-25-2005, 06:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
oh please that movie is outstanding. manhattan is arguably better with it's exquisite cinematography, but annie hall is terrific filmmaking, there are many fairly complex techniques used and they are well integrated into what is a very funny and well rounded plot. they use subtitles, flashback, flash forward, animation, numerous interesting camera techniques, great acting and directing. it's an A rate film and A+ by hollywood standards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you very much, Mike.

mike l.
02-25-2005, 06:48 PM
when im not losing money playing high stakes hold em i sell books for one penny on amazon.com

Tron
02-25-2005, 06:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
That list is terrible.

Worst ever Oscar Winner?

Every award titanic won.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you know?

mike l.
02-25-2005, 06:55 PM
really? i only saw it once but thought the part where the dad doesnt make the frenchtoast right or when his kid at the park were memorable and sad. isnt it pretty decent by hollywood standards?

Emmitt2222
02-25-2005, 06:57 PM
That is a terrible list with terrible reasoning. Braveheart is a fantastic movie. They need to reevaluate some things. When I saw the name of the website I just stopped giving it any credit anyway.
FemaleFirst.co.uk
British femanism, uhg...

mike l.
02-25-2005, 06:58 PM
ok was this mentioned? this movie was unbearably bad. i like altman but man when he lays a turd it's like a monster sized stench log that you can smell for miles.

my main problem with the film is it's impossible to follow. all the characters look the same and their accents are so strong that subtitles wouldve really helped. that it was critically acclaimed seems bizarre to me, it seems just as horrid as ready to wear, mr t and the ladies and some of his other recent turkeys.

FatMan
02-25-2005, 07:05 PM
John Nash was schizophrenic (sp) his whole life was not meshed and inchoherent. That's what the movie was trying to show.

istewart
02-25-2005, 07:18 PM
American History X is the pwn. But why is it being discussed here?

My vote goes for Amadeus, purely because I've been forced to see it no less than 6 times.

Paluka
02-25-2005, 07:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
American History X is the pwn. But why is it being discussed here?

My vote goes for Amadeus, purely because I've been forced to see it no less than 6 times.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would happily watch Amadeus 6 times. I think it is a great movie.

MEbenhoe
02-25-2005, 07:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

MEbenhoe!

[/ QUOTE ]

my fault i should've changed it to say i've seen part of it and turned it off because it was so bad. Bad enough I don't need to see it to say its the worst ever.

usmfan
02-25-2005, 07:36 PM
Ok. So everybody has been discussing worst oscar winning movie but the OP was not specific in limiting this to movies. Plus, I need that assumption to make my next point.

Worst Oscar winner ever? Easy. Marisa Tomei.

End. Of. Thread.

Klak
02-25-2005, 07:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I didn't think Shawshank was over-sentementalized... but I could be wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont either. the message of that movie was what goes around comes around. i dont think a movie where so many people die could be called sentimental.

Alobar
02-25-2005, 08:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
no i'm not. i haven't been to a mariah carey concert. i'm not proud of that fact. if i were, it would be because i looked down on mariah carey's fans and didn't want to be associated with them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess this is just where we differ man. I like your analogy here, and its a good one. It just doesn't apply. All I can say is that I dont look down on anyone who has seen it, nor do I think I am better than anyone who has seen it.

You can feel special about something without it reflecting negatively on other people. I don't have any cavities. Do I think that makes me better than people who have cavities, god no. But does it make me unique because like 99% of the people in this world have cavities. Yes.

Dominic
02-25-2005, 08:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's close, but once you've experienced the tedium of The Greatest Show on Earth, you'll know it's a toss-up.

[/ QUOTE ]

you're right...at least Titanic has exquisite craftsmanship and and incredible special effects....

Dominic
02-25-2005, 09:38 PM
...because I have actually SEEN every single Best Picture winner...yes, even the first, silent one - "Wings." (not bad)

In a previous post I immediately coughed up "Titanic" as my pick...but then I felt I should go down the list one more time to see if I was forgetting anything...while I think it's obvious that some Best Picture winners are merely unmemorable (Driving Miss Daisy), undeserving (Ordinary People), or just plain bad (The Greatest Show on Earth), only ONE movie can lay claim to be the worst ever Best Picture winner - and here are my nominees:

Cavalcade (1933) - boring, pretentious clap trap. Maybe the worst thing Noel Coward ever wrote.

The Life of Emile Zola (1937) - Back in the thirites, Hollywood was in love with the important biopic and this was probably one of the worst, although "The Story of Louis Pasteur" is close. The only interesting thing about the writer Zola's life was his fight for for the underdog in the famous Dreyfus case. Not enough to save this movie, though.

Gone With the Wind (1939) - There, I said it. This movie stinks. It's silly, racist and you want to slap the heroine repeatedly with a big bologna. But that's not all: in what was quite possibly the best single year in film history -

Beau Guest
Dark Victory
Destry Rides Again
The Four Feathers
Goodbye Mr. Chips
Gunga Din
The Hunchback of Notre Dame
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
Ninotchka
Love Affair
Of Mice and Men
Intermezzo
Only Angels Have Wings
The Roaring Twenties
Stage Coach
The Women
Wuthering Heights
The Wizard of Oz

and what is generally considered by critics to be one of the 2 or 3 best films ever made - The Rules of the Game,

THIS long-ass, boring, movie with a plot straight out of General Hospital (hero rapes heroine, causing her to fall in love with him) wins an award for BEST FREAKIN' PICTURE???

I don't think so. Next.

Gentleman's Agreement (1947) - Stagy, wooden and self-important. Other than that the movie is completely unmemorable.

The Greatest Show on Earth (1952) - Wow. I think we may have a winner. This is a truly horrible movie. The others on this list have a little something going for it, but this one....well, the elephants are cool and the circus chicks are pretty hot.

Around the World in 80 Days (1956) Boring me silly is not necessarily a crime, but boring me silly for over three hours most defintely is.

My Fair Lady (1964) - One of those big, Hollywood musicals. Only this one is crap. From Rex Harrison's dirty-old-man performance to Audrey Hepburn's obnoxious attempt at a cockney accent, this film is a sorry mess. I mean, how in the world do you make AUDREY HEPBURN unwatchable??

Oliver (1968) - My parents made me watch this movie when I was growing up every damn year it came on television. I hate this $@#&! movie. I wish it would disappear from our collective consciousness so we would never have to utter it's name again. ...Okay, it's personal.

...From 1968 until 1996, there were certainly some undeserving Best Picture Winners ("Patton," "Kramer vs. Kramer," "Ordinary People," "Driving Miss Daisy," "The Last Emperor," "Forest Gump," but none I would call a truly bad film...

The English Patient (1996) - The date movie from hell. Oh my god, what a load a tripe this movie is. And I LOVE artsy-fartsy movies! Hell, I loved this filmmaker's next film - "The Talented Mr. Ripley." But dear lord, can anyone tell me what this mess was about? It looked good, though.

Titanic (1997) - What in heaven's name was James Cameron thinking when he dreamed up that Harlequin Romance novel of a plot? What, the actualy story of some of the real people on the actual Titanic wasn't dramatic enough for you? Hey, I know! Let's get Kate Winslet to fall in love with a 12 yr. old boy (wait, you mean that was Leo? Truly? Huh, what do you know), get Billy Zane to put on a Snidely Whiplash mustache and just generally be nasty, and put the auidence through 3 FREAKIN' HOURS of tedium until we show 'em what they really came for - the sinking. Which, to tell the truth, was spectacular. The rest of it? Meh.

A Beautiful Mind (2001) - Nothing really wrong with this movie, but nothing really great about it either. Except maybe Jennifer Connoly's cleavage. Plus, it gets a demerit for being directed by Opie.

And at last...my pick for the VERY WORST BEST PICTURE WINNER OF ALL TIME is....

<drumroll>

Cimarron (1930) - I know, not one of you has ever seen it. Hell, I'm sure most of you have never even heard of it. Thre's a very good reason for that - it is truly a bad film. Woodenly acted, directed by someone who couldn't direct traffic, much less a movie, with a washed-out cinematography that makes one think of all things brown - this movie is just plain bad.

There, that's the REAL Worst Best Picture winner of all time!

Now...how about a BEST Best picture Winner thread?

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

andyfox
02-25-2005, 10:05 PM
I liked it when I first saw it (I loved Manhattan when I first saw it). We used to stand on line in Westwood to see Woody's movies the first night they came out (Take the Money and Run; Play it Again Sam, Bananas, Sleeper). But I was shocked when it won the Oscar because it was an enjoyable, but not great, film. It was Allen's first movie that was a movie, rather than comedy schtick schtuck together. But I saw it recently on TV and stand by my original comment. There is no plot. That Keaton won the Oscar is even more incredible.

Alobar
02-25-2005, 10:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Gone With the Wind (1939) - There, I said it. This movie stinks. It's silly, racist and you want to slap the heroine repeatedly with a big bologna. But that's not all: in what was quite possibly the best single year in film history -

Beau Guest
Dark Victory
Destry Rides Again
The Four Feathers
Goodbye Mr. Chips
Gunga Din
The Hunchback of Notre Dame
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
Ninotchka
Love Affair
Of Mice and Men
Intermezzo
Only Angels Have Wings
The Roaring Twenties
Stage Coach
The Women
Wuthering Heights
The Wizard of Oz

[/ QUOTE ]

well since I'm one of the few people prolly on the forum that have scene at least half those movies. I gotta say im in total agreement. I've never realyl liked GWTW, and laugh whenever anyone mentions it as one of the greatest movies ever. But I had no idea all those other movies came out the same year. Who was up for nominations that year?

David Steele
02-25-2005, 10:28 PM
Annie Hall is a masterpiece. Did you have too much
mashed yeast for lunch today?

D.

TimM
02-25-2005, 10:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the princess of whales

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. I can't stop laughing at this.

thatpfunk
02-25-2005, 10:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You'd fit right in with those Hollywood deviants.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is one of the most inane responses I've ever seen. I thought you were getting more sensible.

Prof. Chaos
02-25-2005, 11:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
any movie that I thoroughly enjoyed while sober and hella stoned must be doing something right.

This movie is amazing in my book.

ilya
02-25-2005, 11:21 PM
It's a tie between the pieces of [censored] known as American Beauty & Forrest Gump. Come to think of it a good two thirds of the best picture winners over the years have been crappy.

tolbiny
02-25-2005, 11:32 PM
This list is terrible. Rocky? Rocky was a fantastic movie- well written, scripted, and acted, with a fantastic message and story line. One of the best 10 movies of all time.

bdk3clash
02-25-2005, 11:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
5. Forrest Gump (1994)

[/ QUOTE ]
"Pulp Fiction" not winning Best Picture in 1994 was criminal. It wasn't even close.

tolbiny
02-25-2005, 11:54 PM
Pulp fiction has caused irreprable damage to the movie industry, (which is saying something cause it sucked already for the most part) and if i ever meet Tarentino i will punch him in the nose.

Alobar
02-26-2005, 12:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Pulp fiction has caused irreprable damage to the movie industry, (which is saying something cause it sucked already for the most part) and if i ever meet Tarentino i will punch him in the nose.

[/ QUOTE ]

This post is so dumb, it made me laugh

tolbiny
02-26-2005, 12:05 AM
While pulp fiction was a great movie- it resurrected Revoltra's career.
That dude sucks- Face off- borken arrow, battlefield earth- how many absolutely terrible Travolta movies could we have been spared? I personally would trade pulp fiction for the chance at never hearing his name again.

Alobar
02-26-2005, 12:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
While pulp fiction was a great movie- it resurrected Revoltra's career.
That dude sucks- Face off- borken arrow, battlefield earth- how many absolutely terrible Travolta movies could we have been spared? I personally would trade pulp fiction for the chance at never hearing his name again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah travolta sucks I agree 100%. Why not just punch him in the face instead?

tolbiny
02-26-2005, 12:09 AM
Because its not actually his fault he sucks... but tarentino should know better.

Alobar
02-26-2005, 12:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Because its not actually his fault he sucks... but tarentino should know better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not his fauly he sucks?? It cant be anyones fault but his.

youtalkfunny
02-26-2005, 12:16 AM
--GREAT post, Dom.

--Add me to the short list of people who've never seen GWTW. I just couldn't listen to that Scarlett character for more than a minute, and she's in every scene!

--I tell people who haven't seen Titanic yet, "Start at the beginning, watch the people get on the boat, watch it pull out of port--then fastforward to the iceburg.

--I just saw "The Deer Hunter" for the first time, and for the life of me, I can't see why that was called a great picture. A Russian Roulette scene can be great, but a Russian Roulette MOVIE??? My measure of great acting: when you FORGET that you're watching actors playing make-believe, and your mind is completely sold on the idea (even for a few moments) that what you're watching is real people in real events. At no time in this movie did my mind find that gear (and I usually *love* DeNiro, Walken, and Streep).

I guess being released so close to the Viet Nam era made it much more powerful.

(Oops! Deer Hunter didn't win best pic. NEVER MIND!)

--And the nominees for Best Pic of 1996: The English Patient, Fargo, Jerry Maguire, Secrets & Lies, and Shine.

Good God, no matter who advances through that bracket, they get a spot on our list of worst oscar movies. Shine???

--What's wrong with Patton? Sure beats the hell out of the competition that year (Airport, MASH, Love Story, and Five Easy Pieces).

--If you didn't like The Greatest Show on Earth, how would you feel if I told you it beat out High Noon?

--Uh oh, I just found a list of winners that says Deer Hunter *did* win best pic. The first list I was looking at gave the nod to Coming Home that year.

Speaking of that year, what an uplifting, feel-good list of nominees: Coming Home (crippled in Nam); Deer Hunter (went nuts in Nam); Midnight Express (went nuts in Turkish prison); An Unmarried Woman (no song and dance numbers in that one, either); Heaven Can Wait (death, then murder, all wrapped around fraud--thank goodness it was a comedy, or else theatre lobbies would've included a Kevorkian booth that year).

tolbiny
02-26-2005, 12:21 AM

Talent cannot be manufactured, he was born to suck, and he does. And i cannot blame a guy for taking truckloads of money thta were offered hit to make movies.
However- the mother lovers who give him work, knowing full well the range of his suckiness out to be punished. They are abusing their positions of power, and ought not to get away with it.

also, travolta is a big guy, but i am pretty sure that i could whip tarentino's ass.

Alobar
02-26-2005, 12:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Talent cannot be manufactured, he was born to suck, and he does. And i cannot blame a guy for taking truckloads of money thta were offered hit to make movies.
However- the mother lovers who give him work, knowing full well the range of his suckiness out to be punished. They are abusing their positions of power, and ought not to get away with it.

also, travolta is a big guy, but i am pretty sure that i could whip tarentino's ass.

[/ QUOTE ]

you logic makes sense I suppose. Especially the last bit /images/graemlins/smile.gif

mike l.
02-26-2005, 05:10 AM
fair enough. her performance is good but not amazing. but the oscars like we already said is a joke. they gave the best actress award to whats her name for alice doesnt live here anymore instead of to gena rowlands for a woman under the influence, probably the greatest female role ever in probably the greatest film ever made.

anyway with annie hall maybe they just wanted to finally reward the guy for being good for like several years in a row. that mustve been sweet seeing those movies when they first came out. did you see interiors when it first came out?

The Dude
02-26-2005, 05:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
That list is terrible.

Worst ever Oscar Winner?

Every award titanic won.

[/ QUOTE ]
Okay, I take back what I said earlier.

peachy
02-26-2005, 05:56 AM
uummm the movie Terms of Endearment definately deserved one