PDA

View Full Version : What is wrong with me??? (I mean, in the poker sense)

Grendel
02-25-2005, 01:39 PM
Am I a fish, or just confused?

Do I check this flop? Fold this turn? Fold this river? Hit the auto-raise button? Quit poker forever? This isn't my worst hand ever, but the fact that I didn't know what to do at each step is what makes me concerned.

Villain is new to the table, no reads yet.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, MP1 calls, CO calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, MP1 folds, CO folds, Hero calls.

River: (8.50 BB) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10.50 BB

PotatoStew
02-25-2005, 01:53 PM
I think you need to bet the flop, becuase you don't want to let overcards draw out on you.

After that, I think you have to call it down, but I'm not positive about that.

Hellmouth
02-25-2005, 01:56 PM
If you adhere strictly to the SSHE starting hand requirments this is a fold preflop.

Greg

PotatoStew
02-25-2005, 02:00 PM
Is it really? Wow, for half of a small bet I'd have trouble folding this preflop.

Sir Limps Alot
02-25-2005, 02:02 PM
I think the complete of the small blind is a marginal at best call.
On the flop the bet was right.
On the turn the bet was right but once yu were raised you have to figure he has the 3rd 8 or a nut flush draw a call is okay here but it would not be bad to fold this away either.
With the Q on the river and a turn raiser and you did not improve a marginal hand this is a fold. If you have a read on this guy and he is a bad player you could call but I would figure he had the 3rd 8 and you lossed.

groo
02-25-2005, 02:15 PM
Haven't read SSHE, but in WLLHE Lee Jones says about the "little" blind, "You can call with any reasonable hand: any two suited cards, any connectors down to about 54o, any ace any king." He also explains that not all top level players will agree on starting hand requirements, and that in the long run it's the post flop play that makes the biggest difference in whether or not you win. So,IMHO either starting hand guide works well when used consistantly.

butters
02-25-2005, 02:29 PM
Calling the turn and folding the river doesn't make any sense here. It's either fold to the turn raise (which I would do) or call down.

sthief09
02-25-2005, 02:36 PM
that completion is nowhere near marginal

sthief09
02-25-2005, 02:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you adhere strictly to the SSHE starting hand requirments this is a fold preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a really ahrd time believing that considering the completion is standard

sthief09
02-25-2005, 02:38 PM
you played it fine. it's the price you pay for being out of position. it sucks, but there's nothing you can do. you'll see a semibluff or a 9 all the time here.

27offsooot
02-25-2005, 02:42 PM
You played it fine. 910o is more than enough to complete here. Calling down sucks, but i can see a lot less than an 8 raising here.

DarkKnight
02-25-2005, 02:42 PM
preflop - I might fold this but it's close

flop- small pot, you could be way behind, and there are redraw against your outs. fold

turn- unless UTG is unusually tricky for 1/2 i say fold his raise.

other thatn a flush draw semi bluff what can he have that you have outs against? most likely holdings are A8, TT, JJ, A9

river - if you find a reason to call the turn you have to call here

Hellmouth
02-25-2005, 04:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Haven't read SSHE, but in WLLHE Lee Jones says about the "little" blind, "You can call with any reasonable hand: any two suited cards, any connectors down to about 54o, any ace any king." He also explains that not all top level players will agree on starting hand requirements, and that in the long run it's the post flop play that makes the biggest difference in whether or not you win. So,IMHO either starting hand guide works well when used consistantly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. The starting requirements are not as important as good postflop play. However, a small leak (even small blind completion) performed repetitively could be a serious -EV move over time. The SSHE book says call any suited cards but not any offsuit connectors in the SB position. I guess the assumption that a flush has a little more power and is a little more +EV when made.

Greg

Hellmouth
02-25-2005, 04:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a really ahrd time believing that considering the completion is standard

[/ QUOTE ]

Standard according to whom? I told you the standard that I use. The guideline from SSHE (tight play typically 3-5 players per flop). You can disagree if you like but calling this a standard completion from SB doesnt tell us a whole lot.

Greg