PDA

View Full Version : Errors on every street?

09-11-2002, 08:37 PM
Taj, 10-20, 10-handed. 3am, I am fresh, they are tired. I have AJo on the button. Hmm.

Action: All but one person calls pre-flop, the cutoff raises. What do you do? I know how crappy AJo is multiway, and so I thought about mucking right there and being done with it.

The counterweight was that my image was pretty good right then, and I also knew that there was a good chance that everyone would check to the cutoff, and if I got a piece I would raise and really increase my chances of picking up the (sizeable) pot.

Anyway, I call (anyone reraise here? not likely to drive the callers out, I figure).

Flop is KJ3 rainbow. Checked to cutoff as expected. I raise, hoping to buy a free one. The BB 3-bets. 3 people call 3 bets cold, the cutoff drops, and I call.

Turn is an A. It is now checked to me. What the hell? Is QT going for a checkraise? Does the BB have AK or KJ? Or 33? My guess is he would have bet out with 33 or QT, but might be in check and call mode with either AK or KJ.

I figured that the three guys between us would have bet the turn if they'd had QT. I figured they'd have raised preflop with AK, KK, JJ, so I put them on "gee this is a big pot and I hope I win it." So it comes to me, and I have to decide between risking a checkraise or a free card.

I decide to risk the checkraise and bet. Nobody raises, but all call.

River is a blank. Checked to me, and I flip up my AJ.

Comments? Results to follow.

LotusX
09-11-2002, 08:49 PM
lol i know the TAJ games on weekends are soft, hell i beat the 20/40 there regularly. But that is RIDICULOUS that 7 players called 3 bets cold on that flop LOL

what a game, i'm gonna sit 10/20 next time

as for your play I think decisions were pretty close on every street to tell you the truth. Checking the river was solid. As you said, if i was going to be passive, the time would have been preflop

09-11-2002, 09:12 PM
BB had KJ, the other three mucked without showing.

09-11-2002, 09:17 PM
LotusX,
I've noticed the best time to play fresh is 2-7am on weekends. It's great. 15-30 too. I assume I will dip into 20-40 later in the year. I will be there most weekends, I wear a Virginia or Lucky Chances hat, say hello if you see me.

richardf
09-11-2002, 10:06 PM
Preflop - close but I would have called since the cutoff may have a hand that plays well if it hits, i.e. suited connector or middle pair.

Flop - I would not have raised, especially against this group of players. Your call against the three bet is OK since you had five reasonable outs and pot odds.

Turn - I would have bet also.

River - I would have bet simply because they all checked twice.

Ed Miller
09-11-2002, 10:59 PM
Your hand is likely best because you weren't raised on the turn. Furthermore, you will get callers.

HDPM
09-12-2002, 12:42 AM
Fold preflop. Preflop had cap written all over it. I'm surprised some of the limpers didn't sart a raise war. But I'd fold if it was a guarantee of no more raises. Good turn bet.

andyfox
09-12-2002, 01:21 AM
Shows you how brilliant I am and how well I understand the new format here, I kept looking for someone to have pocket 9s.

Anyway, "if I got a piece I would raise and really increase my chances of picking up the (sizeable) pot"

Huh? Everyone is tired, it's 3AM, 62 players are in for 2 small bets and you expect to pick up the pot with a raise on the flop? A more likely scenario is that the "BB 3-bets. 3 people call 3 bets cold."

If they all forgot to raise on the turn, and a blank came on the river, I'd sure bet again, especially when the turn is an Ace that helped me.