PDA

View Full Version : Making unbalanced tables fair

jalsing
02-25-2005, 12:30 PM
I usually have 2x10 person tourneys at my house, but this weekends tourney looks to have some extras. I have another 8 man table so I could do 3x8 up to 24 people. However, it looks as though I might have even more people than that, and technically I could seat 28 people but there'd be 2 tables of 10 and one of 8. This disadvantages the shorter handed table basically until at least 2 people are out and the tables are 9,9,8, and it's not completely fair until 4 people have busted out. Is this an unacceptable setup, or is there ways to ensure fairness to the short table? I'd like to avoid it if possible, but what are my options if I can't?

callydrias
02-25-2005, 12:51 PM
HomePokerTourney (http://www.homepokertourney.com/moving_players.htm) is your friend.

Lottery Larry
02-25-2005, 01:45 PM
It is what it is. Unless you're limiting it to 24 people, don't worry about it.

If you want to be fair, draw cards for tables/seats.

But there are advantages and disadvantages to playing 10 vs. 8, including less blinds but faster blind progression (for you, in the 10 player table).

Don't sweat it

Lottery Larry
02-25-2005, 01:50 PM
I use the "fill the open seat" rule myself (match the open seat at the short table with the seat at the fuller table and move that person), rather than making players at the table move to accomodate the exact seating position of the player moved by another method.

One other wrinkle to consider- if you have a bounty tournament, and you have a table without a bounty player and one with, move the bounty player regardless of where they are. It gives the short table a chance to win the bounty, that they didn't have before.

witeknite
02-25-2005, 02:15 PM
Why not two 9's and one 10? If someone busts out of one of the 9's, move the tenth man from the full table and everything is even.

WiteKnite

jalsing
02-25-2005, 02:18 PM
Moving players/balancing tables isn't my problem..I'm just asking if it's a terrible injustice to have tables of 10/10/8 at the start of a tourney...these are the max each of my tables can hold...

smoore
02-25-2005, 02:27 PM
I wouldn't consider it a terrible injustice to have 10/10/8 but personally I'd rather be the 9th person at an 8 capacity table and just deal with the discomfort of smelling my neighbors BO.

Lottery Larry
02-25-2005, 02:41 PM
if he could seat 9 players at his 8 player table, would he be asking the question in the first place?

booooooo.....

jalsing
02-25-2005, 02:43 PM
anybody have any experience fitting 9 at one of the cheap octagon tables? We have some pretty 'big' players, could be a challenge.

I'm trying to get another 10 man table to borrow, so this whole issue may be moot in about 10 minutes...

Thanks anyways for the replies..

Lottery Larry
02-25-2005, 02:59 PM
Don't try it- I usually only play 7 on my folding octagon when I have to use it, because of the room.

Anyone who objects if you use the 8-player table can go clean your kitchen instead. :P

Eric H
02-25-2005, 04:41 PM
Use The Tournament Director Software. It does the initial seat draw AND moves players as players bust out. I use it for every tourney.

http://www.thetournamentdirector.net/

Arsene Lupin III
02-25-2005, 04:56 PM
Start the tourney on time and use the inevitable late arrivals as alternates. If it isn't a rebuy tourney, this is their punishment for arriving late.

-adam

Stew
02-25-2005, 06:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Start the tourney on time and use the inevitable late arrivals as alternates. If it isn't a rebuy tourney, this is their punishment for arriving late.

-adam

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, but to answer the original question, it is completely unacceptable to begin a tourney this way. If you have 28, is it possible to start with four tables of 7?

The table with 8 is at a huge disadvantage b/c they only have 7 other people to accumulate chips from, they have to pay more in blinds as they should deal more hands, etc.