PDA

View Full Version : At what point does the stop and go become better than a push?

1C5
02-25-2005, 12:14 PM
I just recently learnt about the value of the stop and go play, but is there a general rule as to when to use this instead of pushing?

I know it should be used when you plan to get all your money into the pot yet you have no FE left so a push would just result in a call. But any numbers that you use to give a rookie a better idea on the best way to add this to my game?

jcm4ccc
02-25-2005, 12:35 PM
You should use the stop-and-go whenever you are in the Big Blind, the Small Blind has folded, you have one opponent, you would prefer that he folds preflop, and you are 95% certain that he would not fold preflop if you went all-in.

I would do it almost every opportunity like this that arises. The risk is minimal (the only risk is that your opponent actually would have folded if you had gone all-in preflop, but the flop improves his hand so that he calls).

Let's say you have 610 chips. The blinds are 150/300. The button raises it to 600. The small blind folded. You should definitely do the stop-and-go. That is because there is absolutely no downside to using the stop-and-go. The button will not fold preflop for those extra 10 chips. But, believe it or not, he might actually fold if the flop misses him and you bet those last 10 chips. Let's say it happens once every 1000 times in this situation. It's still worth it.

I guess if you do it too much, your opponents might catch on to what you're doing. That's a minimal risk on the internet, especially at the lower buy-ins.