PDA

View Full Version : don't know much about NL

goofball
02-25-2005, 11:00 AM
I play the 30/60 game at the Bellagio almost daily. Whenever I walk by the NL 10/20 game (lately that's daily since the poker room is in the pit) I see mose people sitting there with similar stacks, I dunno, 1-5k or something. I also always see at least one person (frequently teh same guy) sitting there with 30-40k. Why would you buy in for this much, especially when you have all your opponents more than covered? Is it just a freudian compensation thing?

djoyce003
02-25-2005, 11:25 AM
well it basically lets you push the table around if you like playing big stack poker right. He probably uses his big stack to push people out of pots that don't want to risk their whole stack with marginal hands.

TheWorstPlayer
02-25-2005, 12:54 PM
Maybe you see him at the end of the day?

SpeakEasy
02-25-2005, 02:47 PM
A big stack brings confidence.

TomCollins
02-25-2005, 04:05 PM
Explain how having 40k allows you to push someone around more than someone who has 6k and everyone else has 5k.

vegas
02-25-2005, 05:20 PM
"The amount of money in front of the players has a profound influence on the betting. The deeper the money, the greater the implication that a player has a strong hand when he raises. His raise also exerts greater leverage, b/c the amount that may be put at risk in further betting must be considered."

Bartholow
02-25-2005, 05:51 PM
Either this player has won a lot, or he just wants to be ready for really deep stack play when someone else wins a lot. Basically it doesn't matter tho.

MonkeeMan
02-25-2005, 06:47 PM
In addition to the reasons already given, it may be advertising that is basically inviting others with deep pockets to join the game.

trillig
02-26-2005, 07:57 AM
Picture a final table of a tournament with these stacks...

Now does having A LOT MORE chips make a difference? Same thing IMO, except the ones you bust can come back for more.

Definitely will make some people more fearful of you, if their push is only 10% of your stack, even though I realize it's all real money, it's a psychological ploy, works on some, not on others, but if you have it, why not create a potential edge...

Buy in for a grand at 4/8 sometime in all $1 chips...
Ask Howard B.... I know he and others have done it numerous times.

-Bri

kemystery
02-26-2005, 11:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Explain how having 40k allows you to push someone around more than someone who has 6k and everyone else has 5k.

[/ QUOTE ]

experience is the best example I could think of to really get a feel for the dynamics of huge 300+ bb stacks playing aggro against 30-100 bb stacks, ppl w/ similiar stack sizes like you mention (5K vs 6K) don't usually throw all in bets half stack bets around liberally. Not w/out big hands brewin.

Try it sometime - in a live game - Power is Money

Loci
02-26-2005, 11:32 AM
Depending on who it is, the motivation probably includes one or more of the forementioned... And of course to get women.

Khern
02-26-2005, 06:54 PM
It is not the same as in a tournament. The structured payout of a tournaments creates a real advantage for the person with more chips. To "bully" has real meaning because you are trying to balance value and survival.

The advantage in a cash game is only psychological and can only be realised if players respond poorly. A good(andproperly bankrolled) player has nothing to fear from a big stack in a cash game. He can just buy back in. This is sometimes an advantage because a very deepstack is willing to put himself in loosing situations believing that he should be able to "bully" a cash game.

-John