PDA

View Full Version : 2 situations - quiz time

Absolution
02-25-2005, 10:41 AM
I was thinking about the differences between these two somewhat similar situations:

1) You have AA in late position, the pot is multiway (5-6 handed), getting large and the flop is K83 rainbow. You get action and callers in front of you on the flop.

2) You have 88 in late position, the pot is multiway, getting large and the flop K83 rainbow. You get action and callers in front of you on the flop.

Being your typical loose passive game, most people are sticking around here in this big pot and calling the flop action. You will also get a lot of them sticking around on the turn. What is your play in each situation? How does it change if there is 2 to the flush on the board OR it's more coordinated?

Fat Nicky
02-25-2005, 10:47 AM
With multiple callers in front of me i'd raise the flop in both situations. They will be more willing to give you their money now than if you raise the turn. Even better, you could get 3-bet by someone holding a K.

chief444
02-25-2005, 10:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Being your typical loose passive game, most people are sticking around here in this big pot and calling the flop action.

[/ QUOTE ]
Good. I have a strong and very likely best hand and good amount of equity.

[ QUOTE ]
What is your play in each situation?

[/ QUOTE ]
Raise.

[ QUOTE ]
How does it change if there is 2 to the flush on the board OR it's more coordinated?

[/ QUOTE ]
It doesn't. I still raise.

Absolution
02-25-2005, 11:09 AM
Okay, I see now that the other thread about waiting until the river pretty much answers the questions I'm posing here. I was just wondering if it is sometimes correct to wait in the second situation so that you can collect the large turn bets with a reraise. The arguement you guys are making seems to be that they are much more likely to call another round on the flop than 2 on the turn. Even if someone raises from EP on the flop and they all call to you, a lot will probably fold if he fires again on the turn, so there was no point in waiting. They aren't sticking around for 2 big bets enough of the time to make a turn reraise more +EV. However, on certain tables I think it could be correct to wait, especially in micro limits (wrong forum).

Sir Limps Alot
02-25-2005, 11:51 AM
1. I raise the flop.

2. I raise the flop knowing they will call you. Your set is well hidden so I dont think a raise will scare people. The players would put you on Best King but would stick around for gut shots and hoping to get trips. Hope that the trips come and you have the full house.

chief444
02-25-2005, 12:02 PM
Well, in these examples you have "action and callers" which to me means an EP bet and callers in between. There's really no way to "protect" AA. And in either example you're just assuming you'll be bet into on the turn again. But you don't know that and you also don't know that if you do raise you won't be 3-bet or bet into again anyway. Sometimes you just have to forget about "protecting" which seems to be the flavor of the week here and just bet/raise your strong hands for value.

IsaacW
02-25-2005, 03:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, in these examples you have "action and callers" which to me means an EP bet and callers in between. There's really no way to "protect" AA. And in either example you're just assuming you'll be bet into on the turn again. But you don't know that and you also don't know that if you do raise you won't be 3-bet or bet into again anyway. Sometimes you just have to forget about "protecting" which seems to be the flavor of the week here and just bet/raise your strong hands for value.

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed, and here in the AA hand the pot is probably big enough (since Hero raised PF I hope) that you won't ever be able to protect this hand, even on future streets. So raise for value.

I raise the 88 hand as well. The pot is big and you will get a ton of extra bets by people calling with their Ks and 3s.