PDA

View Full Version : Playing against habitual pre-flop raiser?

carddown
02-25-2005, 10:35 AM
I play low fixed and spread limit Hold Em, and recently I've run into an aggressive style of player that raises almost every hand (from any position) before the flop. He thins the field, and blasts away, but then gets out if he's likely beaten. These guys drive me nuts- they often have me folding medium strength hands that would have won. Also, by their style of play, they cost me when I have a top hand by driving other players off hands they would have bet.

Where I play, there is often only one table to play, so game selection is seldom much of an option. My strategy against this type of player so far is "consider the source" of the raise and play my normal game. I try to trap more and snap these guys off, but it can take a long, long time to get the right hand for it. I'd appreciate any suggestions or book recommendations for playing against this style player.

carddown

stigmata
02-25-2005, 11:02 AM
I can't really offer much.... But, yes, patience is needed. However, you will win from them in the long run.

1. Get position. Sit on the guys left, after he plays. This way you know what he's doing, and dont have to guess.

2. Be patient. You need to play tigher if you are paying two SB's to see every flop. Things like low pocket pairs and med-small suited connectors go down in value.

3. When youve got some cards, you might want to try and isolate him. If he raises (probably with crap), and you have, say AJ or 88, then 3-bet. If you can get it Heads-Up, you have a pretty good show-down hand already.

If you miss the flop, just call down if he bets. If you hit the flop, wait for the expensive streets to hit him.

4. In multiway pots, you might want to raise him with some marginal (e.g. middle pair) hands, if nobody else has shown any strength. There's a good chance you have the best hand.
When you have a great hand, let him help you put in bets and raises. You can quite often "bounce" of a lag to maximise your profit. E.g. You bet out on the flop, he raises, everyone calls. On the turn, its checked to him, he bets, everyone calls, you raise.

5. Alot of the time with marginal hands you've just got to call down and cross your finger that your best. You will edge ahead in the long run.

pokerrookie
02-25-2005, 11:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]

4. In multiway pots, you might want to raise him with some marginal (e.g. middle pair) hands, if nobody else has shown any strength. There's a good chance you have the best hand.
When you have a great hand, let him help you put in bets and raises. You can quite often "bounce" of a lag to maximise your profit. E.g. You bet out on the flop, he raises, everyone calls. On the turn, its checked to him, he bets, everyone calls, you raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldnt this require that he be sitting to the players right?

stigmata
02-25-2005, 12:48 PM
Yeah true.... just trying to get the point across, that you can use there aggression to help you. Especially considering that their raises are going to be far less respected that yours.

donkeyradish
02-28-2005, 11:49 AM
Seating makes a big difference

If I have a hand which I would consider normally playing, and by re-raising I think I can get heads up with the maniac then I often attempt this

But if due to my seating position re-raising won't achieve this then I will wait for a stronger hand than usual to play at all.