PDA

View Full Version : Bad play or Bad Beat

freds215
02-25-2005, 09:20 AM
Hi all, first post here so bear with me. I usually do not get tilted overnight for a hand but this one in particular is still bothering me. Not sure if I should have seen this coming.

Scenario is Partypoker, $100 NL ring game, 6 players

I am dealt Ad2d, which I normally would fold but had not participated in a while. Raised to 2xBB, all fold but BB (fairly loose & aggressive player so far) who calls.

Flop comes: 5s8d5d

BB bets $30. Since I am up about $600 for the night, I decide to call to see if I can complete, thinking he may have flopped trip 5's, or has 8A or something similar.

Turn: 3d

I complete flush draw, and go all in ($50) expecting to see him fold. He calls.

River: Ac

He turns over 88, giving him the full house on the flop.

So I guess my questions are the following:

1) Should I have seen this coming?
2) Did I play the nut flush appropriately or should I have been more wary when I saw the pair off the flop.

How would some of you have played this differently? I know most people would usually fold before they even saw the flop, but assume you decide to play this hand.

Thanks for any commentary.

brokedickrooster
02-25-2005, 09:37 AM
No expert here, and I am sure you will get other opinions on this. First, if you are going to raise, raise. 2X BB just isn't enough. 3X minimum. Secondly, when he bets $30 into an $8 pot, fold. You aren't even close to getting the odds you want to make your flush and if you don't make it on the turn, are you going to call another river bet? Once you made your flush, you were stuck in my opinion. You can't be drawing to a hand and then fold when you hit it.

quix0tic
02-25-2005, 09:49 AM
-Dont fold A2s 6-handed.

-How much you are up or down on the night has nothing to do with what the correct play is.

-Fold the flop because you are unlikely to have fold equity to semibluff raise. You certainly can't call for value because it seems he has overbet the pot.

-Don't concern yourself with boat vs. flush when playing capped 50bb buyins.

-People who say this are assh0les but still, this technically is small stakes nl

freds215
02-25-2005, 09:52 AM
Will post my questions there in the future. Thanks for the comments...

FS