PDA

View Full Version : best books for post-flop play?

archmagi
02-25-2005, 09:08 AM
I've got many holes in my post flop game, and started to work on them some time ago.
This forum's advice on which books are the best to improve the post-flop play would be very helpful.
Thanks in advance

jojobinks
02-25-2005, 09:11 AM
sshe

archmagi
02-25-2005, 10:51 AM
thanks, that's interesting though.
I didn't read it, but one of the reviews at Amazon mentioned that it was not particularly strong on post flop play.
Maybe I should get a copy afterall

Hellmouth
02-25-2005, 11:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I didn't read it, but one of the reviews at Amazon mentioned that it was not particularly strong on post flop play.

[/ QUOTE ]

The post flop play of small stakes holdem is the best aspect of the book in my opinion. That is the sections that make the book worth the $$$.

Greg

jojobinks
02-25-2005, 11:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i know the review. there's a whole thread on that review here. it's a joke; stupid player talking stupidly about a very smart poker book. buy it; you'll be happy you did.

TheNoodleMan
02-25-2005, 01:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
don't ever use amazon reviews for gambling books. Its all a big fish fry.

jdaddy
02-25-2005, 02:21 PM
SSHE is awesome. Post flop is covered very well IMHO.

Isura
02-25-2005, 03:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
SSHE.

[/ QUOTE ]

benfranklin
02-25-2005, 03:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, SSH is not particularly strong on preflop play. Not that anything there is wrong, it just doesn't devote a lot of space to preflop compared to other books. It is not the best book for an absolute beginner to learn to play preflop. It assumes that you know how to play preflop and puts most of its emphasis on postflop, because this is where most intermediate players are weak.

I'm not sure if many of the Amazon reviews are in error, or if they are posted by good players trying to get the fish to read Hellmuth, Warren, etc.

kiddo
02-25-2005, 04:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure if many of the Amazon reviews are in error, or if they are posted by good players trying to get the fish to read Hellmuth, Warren, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Rudbaeck
02-25-2005, 06:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If your game is soft, SSHE, if your game is tough, HEFAP. If you play limit that is.

archmagi
02-26-2005, 08:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[they are posted by good players trying to get the fish to read Hellmuth, Warren, etc.]

now that's a good strategy /images/graemlins/cool.gif

archmagi
02-26-2005, 08:47 PM
I've got HEFAP, so the only conclusion is SSHE for my soft game. Thanks
/images/graemlins/smile.gif

CurryLover
02-27-2005, 12:37 AM
Roy Cooke's Real Poker: The play of Hands is also very good on post flop play. I think it is a brilliant book.

Rudbaeck
02-27-2005, 09:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I've got HEFAP, so the only conclusion is SSHE for my soft game. Thanks
/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Soft in this sentence means a fair bit up into the middle limits in most occasions. You need the kind of table that you'd rather gouge out your eyes than play online for HEFAP to be the best solution. This arises in B&M cardrooms more often as game selection is rather limited. Daytime Party 10/20 full ring games probably qualify.

Derek in NYC
02-28-2005, 11:05 AM
I agree. Im reading it now, and Cooke does the incredibly important task of combining information from the board and the preflop action, with information about a player's past play (e.g., player type), to read the opponent's hand. SSHE largely fails in this regard.

k8as8ey
02-28-2005, 12:33 PM
Amazon reviews are worthless. If you doubt this, just read the 5 star reviews for any of John Patrick's books or videos. Possibly the worst stuff ever written on gambling. Advanced Winning Craps Systems! Give me a break.

kiddo
02-28-2005, 02:00 PM
Its called Real Poker II now. Same as before but only the hand-essays, which are the ones we want.

Yep, great book!

jmgurgeh
03-02-2005, 03:26 PM
I once read a review of a poker book on Amazon where the guy complained that not playing half the hands he was dealt had caused him to start losing. He gave the book a bad review and said playing tighter would hurt your game.

Amazon.com reviews suck. More than that, they sometimes eliminate negative reviews of a product (and no I'm not making this up- I saw it happen). Retarded reviews generally stay though.