PDA

View Full Version : 20-40 Hand to Talk About

09-11-2002, 04:55 PM
This is a hand I played in an 8-handed 20-40 hold em game with a good mix of weak-tight, loose-aggresive, loose-passive and overall average to below average players. A brief rundown on the 3 other players who were prominent in the hand.
Big Blind (BB) - I have never played with him before but see him in the room a lot and noticed that he often plays the 50-100, 75-150 mixed games when they go, whether he wins or not I do not know but I assume he doesn't get killed. During this session he was running bad, and playing not too great either, lost 400 since I had been there.
Weak Tight Old player UTG - (WTO) Very nice guy who seems to always think he is running bad, but he really just plays WAY too weak tight.
Button - (Button) Another new player to me but somewhat familiar face, he plays pretty well, not too tricky and not enough raising IMO, he was up 1000 dollars for the session.

OK, 4 limpers to me in the small blind I complete with 5d6c.
6-players $120 in the pot.

Flop - 5c-6d-9s

I bet out, BB calls, WTO calls, folded around to the button who calls.

Turn Jh

I check, BB checks, WTO checks, Button bets, I raise everyone folds. The button says "nice straight". I take the $240 dollar pot and we move on to the next hand.

comments? How was this hand played? How would you or could you play it differently?

Jimbo
09-11-2002, 05:02 PM
I may have come out betting on the turn but at least your method won the pot right away so your checkraise can't be that bad. Nice pot and sure sounds like a juicy game!!

Jimbo

09-11-2002, 05:12 PM
Excellent. You have clearly over-represented your hand on the turn, causing someone with at least close to sufficent odds (or better than sufiicient odds) to fold, while shutting out everyone else. This is a nice coup.

This also implies that you read that the J hit someone, which is almost certainly the case. If someone called with overcards, they very likely have a T or J, since 2 cards Q or higher would likely raise preflop, especially on the button. If the J didn't hit anyone, then A6, 77 or 88 are likely holdings for at least one opponent, and you want these out of the pot as well.

The BB and WTO can't be counted on to bet the flop, so unless the button would auto-bet if checked to, I like betting out. It's just not that likely anyone is thrilled with this flop. Your flop bet also entices overcards to call, and this is good news for your hand, as they have to hit twice to beat you, and the pot is not huge.

One the turn comes, the pot is larger, and your hand is certainly vlunerable, so you correctly shut everyone out.
Well played. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Boris
09-11-2002, 05:39 PM
since when is being down $400 in a 20-40 game "running bad for the session"?

my definition of running bad for the session is being stuck 5 racks at 3:00am and trying to explain to the representative at my credit card company that "no, I don't have a gambling problem".

09-11-2002, 06:45 PM

KJS
09-11-2002, 07:43 PM

Clarkmeister
09-11-2002, 07:48 PM
I totally agree. I would consider this to be the "textbook" way to play that hand and he executed it perfectly. Well done.

Boylermaker
09-11-2002, 09:10 PM
Played it fine. Strong arguement can be made for betting the turn, as you certainly don't want to let anyone off the hook here. In fact, I probably think that is the 'correct' play most of the time. That being said, sometimes you gotta change it up, and a checkraise here is a good example of doing so. And obviously it worked out well for you. Well done.

PokerBabe(aka)
09-11-2002, 10:35 PM
Hiatus- On the flop I would play it as you did. I am not sure checking the turn is the best play, however, as you don't want to allow any opportunity for a free card out there with the potential straight. Babe

andyfox
09-12-2002, 01:27 AM
I have nothing to add to what the others have said, other than that I would have folded pre-flop.