PDA

View Full Version : Blind re-steal with ATs goes awry

stigmata
02-25-2005, 06:13 AM
Button is Preflop LAG, Postflop decent. Has been stealing light so I decide to fight back with ATs. When Button caps it, I am confident that I'm up against a high pocket pair or a big ace (button is not that laggy).

When the ace flops, whats your line? I'm either way ahead or way behind.

Just calling down would seem the obvious choice. I tried to go a more fancy route - by betting out the turn, I figured villain would call down with a Pocket Pair, or raise the Big Ace. Thus I could get out of the hand cheaper, or win the maximum if I was ahead.

I think I should fold this one, or should I get to showdown as cheaply as possible?

Villain is basically decent, but predictable.

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button caps</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.25 BB) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero....?

rory
02-25-2005, 06:16 AM
Check-call the whole way is a good way to play this one.

stigmata
02-25-2005, 06:21 AM
Yeah thats what I normally do under these circumstances. Was experimenting, I guess, and screwed up /images/graemlins/crazy.gif.

Do you call down every single time?

Given that you know villain well, can you fold the turn, having played it my dumb-ass way?

Rudis
02-25-2005, 07:14 AM
that bet is almost asking to be raised out by a KK...
=)

stigmata
02-25-2005, 07:27 AM
Yeah - By the time I thought of that I had already pressed "bet".

So I called down anyway, hoping, as you say, Villian was trying to raise me out with KK/QQ.

Turn comes K.

I cross my fingers that villain has AQ, to share the pot. Villain shows Big Slick. Duhhhhhhhhh.

I really hate calling down against a preflop cap, and am trying to see if there is any way I could of got out of it. I guess not, and being fancy was dumb.

ToneLoc
02-25-2005, 07:29 AM
Given the high percentage of psychotic raiser in this game, I think you still have to call down after the turn raise. The guy might well be going for the free showdown with some big pocket pair...

Calling down is an ok line against a 4-bettor I think. Some player like to put in a stop bet at some point, but giving 2-to-1 odds on such a bet against a 4-bettor does not sound too g00t to me...

kiddo
02-25-2005, 07:33 AM
The nomrmal line for me is check-call flop and turn and bet river. A bet on river is so strange that if he is behind with lower pair he can convince himself to call with a hand he would have checked behind if u checked and only call with AK for TPTK or even 2 pair, fearing 3bet. This is specially good if river is somewhat scary.

Checking river is 2 weak because then u give up the river bet saying: I pay if u are ahead and dont want anything if I am ahead.

stigmata
02-25-2005, 07:40 AM
I quite oftenly take the call-call-bet line.

I guess this was an attempted bastardization of that approach, with a "get out early" on the turn option. Basic conclusion being that it doesn't work, because KK/QQ will raise turn and then check river, and you still don't know where you are.

I guess I just got to call this one down next time.

Guy McSucker
02-25-2005, 08:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]

The nomrmal line for me is check-call flop and turn and bet river.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's my standard line here, too.

What do you do if raised on the river?

Guy.

kiddo
02-25-2005, 09:37 AM
If his aggressionfactor on river is really low and rivercard isnt one bit scary and I never seen him bluff I could make myself fold but normally I pay. I dont do many "strong folds" on river.