PDA

View Full Version : Pick a PC game for me

dealer_toe
02-25-2005, 04:08 AM
Well it seems my system can handle RPG's and the such, as I succesfully played Rise of Nations online tonight for the first time in a while. I want to pick up a new game on saturday and I can't decide. The obvious choice is WoW, but what other choices do I have? Should I get one of those War Craft packs, or screw it and go straight for WoW.

Also, I've been mostly a sports gamer, and MVP Baseball is on its way out. Anyone think I should pick this up too? or will WoW take up way to much of my non poker time to make MVP baseball worthwhile?

Well I guess I just decided on WoW, but if theres anything else I should try instead let me know. I've never played any of the warcraft games, so I'm not too attached just yet.

AngryCola
02-25-2005, 04:20 AM
I've just recently been playing a lot of Rise of Nations again. I've had it for some time, but never really got into it. That's changed this time around.

As for the Warcraft games, you need to understand that none of the other games in the Warcraft series (Starcraft too) are the same genre as WoW. They are all basically RTS games (like Rise of Nations without the turn based parts). WoW is a MMORPG.

I love the whole series, but Warcraft 3 wasn't as good as Warcraft 2. But it doesn't matter, because Starcraft wipes the floor with both of them. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

jdl22
02-25-2005, 04:26 AM
Play one of the Total War variants.

dealer_toe
02-25-2005, 04:27 AM
I love Rise of Nations too, but I just played and got my azz kicked!! So I figured if I'm going to put time into a game, it might as well be a newer one.

IronDragon1
02-25-2005, 04:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I love Rise of Nations too, but I just played and got my azz kicked!! So I figured if I'm going to put time into a game, it might as well be a newer one.

[/ QUOTE ]

1) Build additional cities ASAP
2) Build multiple libraries to conduct research simulatneously. In fact, always conduct research as soon as is becomes avaliable.
3) Don't forget about Metal!
4) Build a Colossus as soon as you can
5) Build granaries/smelters/paper mills where you can; but maximize in your interior cities. Make cities
6) Always have an extra set of military installations far away from where you expect much of the fighting to take place
7) NEVER go into battle w/o a general (preferably two) and several supply wagons

Problem solved.

bd8802
02-25-2005, 08:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Well it seems my system can handle RPG's and the such, as I succesfully played Rise of Nations online tonight for the first time in a while. I want to pick up a new game on saturday and I can't decide. The obvious choice is WoW, but what other choices do I have? Should I get one of those War Craft packs, or screw it and go straight for WoW.

Also, I've been mostly a sports gamer, and MVP Baseball is on its way out. Anyone think I should pick this up too? or will WoW take up way to much of my non poker time to make MVP baseball worthwhile?

Well I guess I just decided on WoW, but if theres anything else I should try instead let me know. I've never played any of the warcraft games, so I'm not too attached just yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

WoW is a great game. I am also an avid baseball fan, and i think i will probably end up getting MVP for the PC later. I think that WoW will still be taking up all my time. I will also be playing the 2k5 Baseball game on the x-box. But i might break down and get MVP soon too. I am a junkie for a good baseball game. It depends on how fast the mod's come out for MVP baseball for the PC.

WoW is one of the best games i have ever played. Do yourself a favor and get it. NOW! But MVP has a good chance to be the best baseball game ever ... it is a tough choice. Get them both.

/bd

astroglide
02-25-2005, 12:35 PM
WoW is a complete life-ruiner. everybody that plays it ends up devoting like 10+ hours/week to it and basically has nothing to show for it other than a level 27 orc with a +2 vorpal sword.

Voltron87
02-25-2005, 12:50 PM
Deus Ex, Half Life, Command and Conquer Red Alert, Heroes of Might and Magic (2 or 3), Fallout (1 and 2), Arcanum. All of those are amazing.

Paluka
02-25-2005, 12:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
WoW is a complete life-ruiner. everybody that plays it ends up devoting like 10+ hours/week to it and basically has nothing to show for it other than a level 27 orc with a +2 vorpal sword.

[/ QUOTE ]

I consider all those games to be IRC with neat graphics and bonuses for chatting more hours.

astroglide
02-25-2005, 01:24 PM
yes, but does irc have +2 vorpal swords?

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-25-2005, 01:30 PM
I just got 765 NES ROMs.

dealer_toe
02-25-2005, 01:35 PM
awesome, from where!?

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-25-2005, 01:37 PM
From a certain someone on here who offered... I'd give his name, but I don't want to be volunteering him to have to give out more. I can send them to you if you want - PM me.

bd8802
02-25-2005, 04:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a level 30 tauren hunter thank you ...

/bd

crownjules
02-25-2005, 05:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My coworkers looked at me funny when I busted out laughing at this.

Freakin
02-25-2005, 05:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

1) Build additional cities ASAP
2) Build multiple libraries to conduct research simulatneously. In fact, always conduct research as soon as is becomes avaliable.
3) Don't forget about Metal!
4) Build a Colossus as soon as you can
5) Build granaries/smelters/paper mills where you can; but maximize in your interior cities. Make cities
6) Always have an extra set of military installations far away from where you expect much of the fighting to take place
7) NEVER go into battle w/o a general (preferably two) and several supply wagons

Problem solved.

[/ QUOTE ]

Make sure that you pick a civ that complements your play style, as well. I pwn w/ Incas.

Freakin

wayabvpar
02-25-2005, 05:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You say that like it is a bad thing!

WoW is a hell of a lot of fun. It is a nice break from the unbelievable getting rivered run I am currently on, that is for damned sure.

Chobohoya
02-25-2005, 06:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Technically the vorpal blade is +3 (or +5).

It can't stack up to this this weapon (http://www.thottbot.com/?i=26368) though.

Edit: What server is everyone on anyways? Medivh here.

wayabvpar
02-25-2005, 06:42 PM
Earthen Ring. For the Horde!

rusty JEDI
02-25-2005, 08:09 PM
I recently went looking for my first RTS game. I looked at rise of nations and Age of Empires II.

I went with Age of Empires II.

Was that a mistake?

rJ

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-25-2005, 08:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I recently went looking for my first RTS game. I looked at rise of nations and Age of Empires II.

I went with Age of Empires II.

Was that a mistake?

rJ

[/ QUOTE ]
AOE II is awesome. Get the expansion pack too. You definitely didn't make a mistake.

rusty JEDI
02-25-2005, 08:58 PM
I got the one that came with the expansion pack added. So far it takes up way way way too much of my time. My poker income has taken a huge hit, and my girlfriend is getting a little cranky.

Is there much difference between these types of games, or are they all basically the same?

Thanks

rJ

offTopic
02-25-2005, 09:03 PM
I'm inferring that you have an older PC - my apologies if this is incorrect. If so, the first Half-Life is a tremendous time-waster. The Platinum Edition, or whatever the bundled product is called, is a good deal, as you get several games for around $30.

Then, get a new PC and start playing HL2. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

lastchance
02-25-2005, 09:43 PM
Yes, because it isn't Starcraft. AOE II is pretty fun, but I can't imagine picking any RTS other than Starcraft to start out with.

Starcraft is better because it has an awesome storyline, is a lot more patched, much better balanced, and quite a bit more customizable with a truly great campaign editor.

Freakin
02-25-2005, 09:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, because it isn't Starcraft. AOE II is pretty fun, but I can't imagine picking any RTS other than Starcraft to start out with.

Starcraft is better because it has an awesome storyline, is a lot more patched, much better balanced, and quite a bit more customizable with a truly great campaign editor.

[/ QUOTE ]

And it's got that starship troopers MP map. Rico pwns.

Freakin

dealer_toe
02-26-2005, 04:15 PM
My computer isn't really old, only like a year. It just has some pretty girly specs. I think I can play most RPG's or RTS games with all other applications closed. I just don't have a very good video card