PDA

View Full Version : Anyone work fulltime and play 30 hrs or more a week?

trentcroad
02-25-2005, 04:04 AM
Im a student so basically I play about 30 hrs a week and study which is no big deal at all.

But down the track ill have a job so Im just wondering if its viable to maintain my current level of play when working?

Id seriously doubt it as id imagine the last thing ud feel like doing after work is spending another 4-5 hrs at the computer.

But Id like to hear anyones thoughts on this.
If there another recent thread like this just point me in that direction please.

Thanks all

fimbulwinter
02-25-2005, 04:56 AM
for a while, while building BR and needing money, i tried to put in 40 hours a week on top of school and all. honestly, it's doable, but it sucks. really depends on how much you value weekends (where your best money comes from) and how much you value money.

for what it's worth, I stopped playing online once the whole "time to get ready for real life" thing set in.

fim

archmagi
02-25-2005, 05:21 AM
I guess it depends on the type of work that you do, but I'm in front of the computer all day at work. If I play every night for a few hours after work, my eyes stop working by Friday.
Also, if you don't have a 9-5 job, and you've got a decent job instead you're likely to work longer hours, and you won't have 4 hours to play every night.
I think 20 hrs a week is manageable (taking the weekends into account), but I find more extremely exhausting.

BreakEvenPlayer
02-25-2005, 05:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Loc: takin turns dancin with maria

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy crap that's such a damn good song. But I've only heard the Johnny Cash version.

jailhousejoe
02-25-2005, 06:41 AM
When I was a student, I used to play a couple of evenings a week when i could get to my local cardroom. Then when I first started working, I was young and free of other responsibilities (heck, i only used to wash dishes once a week!), and thought nothing of coming home from work to play 6 hours of poker online, followed by 4 hours sleep, then off to work again. lather rinse repeat.

Then I got a steady girlfriend.. my job became more important.. and it became harder. I had lots of friends, and there were many exciting things to do and places to see. By my mid-twenties it was a case of 1-2 nights a week getting 2-3 hours on the puter (and if that was without interruption i'd feel blessed!).

Then I got to my late 20's.. marriage loomed, as did kids. My family started calling me for favours.. I bought a house.. my day-job very time consuming and taxing.. all of a sudden it became a case of getting two days a month set aside for poker.. or times late at night when no-one else can bother me!

Its not all doom and gloom though!

Now i'm in my early thirties.. kids are past toothing and are old enough to be a bit quieter than babies, yet young enough to be asleep by 7pm. I'm much more experienced in my day job now.. which means life there is not as stressful.. plus having a family puts all that into perspective. My wife loves the poker related treats I buy her, so she gives me all the time I want to play. My friends all have families of their own, and my family dont even pester me any more, coz they know I'll be after a baby sitter in return for any favours ;-)

I wouldnt worry about when you start working and not having time for poker. Its one game that lasts your entire life, as an elderly man in vegas once told me.

archmagi
02-25-2005, 08:33 AM
[My wife loves the poker related treats I buy her, so she gives me all the time I want to play.]

I might be able to use the details /images/graemlins/ooo.gif

party36master
02-25-2005, 09:37 AM
I work about 50 hours a week, play poker about 20 hours a week (mostly late in the evening). Plus I'm married, and spend plenty of time with my wife. I have a house, etc.

Just decide how much you want to sleep....

crownjules
02-25-2005, 10:27 AM
I work the 9-5 grind. We'll say with commute time I work a 50 hour week. By the time I get home, I have about 5 hours to myself and I'll usually spend 3-4 of that playing poker. That's Mon - Thurs. Friday and Saturday I almost never get more then an hour of poker in as I tend to go out. Sunday is a toss up. I either play a bunch or not much.

So I guess in a given week I'll put in between 15-25 hours. Hardly ever more, never less.

Note that I still live at home and a lot of my time spent away on the weekends is purely to get away from the house and parents. If I were living on my own (which I will be soon, hopefully), I may stay closer to my computer on a fairly regular basis and get some time in on the weekends.

soundgarden4
02-25-2005, 10:58 AM
I'm in the same position as the previous poster, 23 years old, working 45 hours a week and playing poker at night usually between 2-3 hours. Now that is a [censored] grind. Let alone the fact that my job is extremely boring, and after the hour long commute home, I sit in front of the computer for another 2 hours trying to grind out a profit 4-tabeling. I will say that it's not a very enjoyable life.

My whole week is just a blur of numbers and concentration, which drains my body of all it's energy, until I can get to the weekend where I actually have time to unwind. The reason I play after work is to prove to myself that I can do this as a job, because I plan on quitting my "real" job in the next 3 months. I plan on playing to make money while attending school to get my Financial Planning certificate and eventually be a financial planner as my full-time job.

It's not very fun, lets put it that way.

kevin

mrjim
02-25-2005, 11:23 AM
When you say "financial planning certificate" do you mean CFP?

Predator314
02-25-2005, 11:24 AM
I work 8-5 Mon-Fri with a 45 minute commute each way. I play about 2-3 hours a night during the winter on Mon, Tues, Thurs. Saturday, if the weather is crappy, I'll put 4 hours or so in. Same with Sunday.

Weekdays that I'm home by myself, I can put a good 6 hours in during the course of 2-3 sessions. I can't do a single 6 hour session and keep my sanity.

I figure I put somewhere between 10-15 hours a week playing poker on a normal week.

IndieMatty
02-25-2005, 11:36 AM
God you know what? Since the beggining of this year. I might be pulling 30 hours a week with a full time job. I never realized it, but its very possible I have been.

<font color="white">by possible I mean, I definitely so, and it might even be 40 hours, I have a problem </font>

Bluffoon
02-25-2005, 11:45 AM
A typical day is 9-5 work, hit the gym then relax for a couple of hours playing poker. Even If I have a lot planned for the weekends I will still get in an hour or two in the morning and sunday nights I am usually playing too. I also get in some time during my lunch hour. It all adds up to about twenty hours a week.

I play for enjoyment so it is not a burden. I don't know if I would want to play any more than that though.

Hermlord
02-25-2005, 12:40 PM
Let's see, I get about 8*7=56 hours of sleep a week, then about 20-30 hours of poker, but then they go and muck that all up with a totally unreasonable 9 hours/week of class time. Plus homework, which is usually listening to cool music, or writing (hopefully) cool music, or analyzing cool music, or practicing to be a rock star.

Just thought all you cogs in the machine would like a taste of the other side /images/graemlins/smile.gif

soundgarden4
02-25-2005, 01:06 PM
yeah, I plan on getting the certificate, so that I can take the test and then most likely get a job. You can't technically call yourself a CFP until you have 3 years of experience I believe.

kevin

BIGRED
02-25-2005, 02:24 PM
I work in IT so I'm in front of a computer all day 9 to 5. But I don't mind spending another 5 hours (with breaks) after work to play poker. In fact, I enjoy it. It's been a year since I got into this routine and I don't see myself getting tired of it anytime soon, probably never. It beats watching TV or going out to the bar. One downside is that I don't get enough exercise and that is something I'm trying to fix. I love poker after a full day's work.

EDIT: I am married and my wife is supportive of what I do, which makes it that much easier. However, with our first child on the way, I have no idea how drastically that's going to change the routine.

Bluffoon
02-25-2005, 02:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I work in IT so I'm in front of a computer all day 9 to 5. But I don't mind spending another 5 hours (with breaks) after work to play poker. In fact, I enjoy it. It's been a year since I got into this routine and I don't see myself getting tired of it anytime soon, probably never. It beats watching TV or going out to the bar. One downside is that I don't get enough exercise and that is something I'm trying to fix. I love poker after a full day's work.

EDIT: I am married and my wife is supportive of what I do, which makes it that much easier. However, with our first child on the way, I have no idea how drastically that's going to change the routine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Congrats... get some sleep now while you can.

ChoicestHops
02-25-2005, 02:41 PM
I work 30 hrs/wk, but Im not in school this semester. I try to play 40 hrs/wk of poker, which is already hard enough. It's not that I don't have the time, but poker is basically my life right now. Im trying to build up a bankroll.

However, Im going to go back to school in June and July. Classes will be from 8-1 everyday, so my poker game will definitely be constrained. I suppose it's worth it to get 12 hours of credit in June and July though.

BIGRED
02-25-2005, 02:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I sleep at work... anyway seriously, since I started doing this, I did give up a lot of the other things I used to do, like golf, going out, reading... and sleep is probably another one. I get about 6 to 7 hrs a night on weekdays and catch up on weekends.

Lately, I've been thinking about another line of work that will give me more time for poker with some leisure time. I have no idea what tho...

Benal
02-25-2005, 02:54 PM
I do, easily. I work 1-9pm, and play online usually 10pm-4am.

freds215
02-25-2005, 03:09 PM
i believe you can't sit for the exam until you have 3 years experience.

Lord Bodak
02-25-2005, 03:36 PM
The solution, of course, is to find a full-time job where you have time to play poker at work. A friend of mine from college works a helpdesk with that sort of situation. He works the overnight shift, calls are usually light, so he can play for a good chunk of his shift.

Bluffoon
02-25-2005, 03:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I sleep at work... anyway seriously, since I started doing this, I did give up a lot of the other things I used to do, like golf, going out, reading... and sleep is probably another one. I get about 6 to 7 hrs a night on weekdays and catch up on weekends.

Lately, I've been thinking about another line of work that will give me more time for poker with some leisure time. I have no idea what tho...

[/ QUOTE ]

HAhaha you are about to go from 6-7 hours a night to about 6-7 hours a week! It's worth it though you can forget about leisure time for a few years.

BIGRED
02-25-2005, 04:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

HAhaha you are about to go from 6-7 hours a night to about 6-7 hours a week! It's worth it though you can forget about leisure time for a few years.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea... I'm bracing for a huge change. Hopefully, our baby will be the kind that just sleeps all the time ?!?!? What are the chances?

terrapin314
02-25-2005, 04:25 PM
Finding balance is the key - not only with poker, but many other aspects of life. While some of us can grind out a living, it really is a grind.

If you can make extra fun money while keeping your bankroll intact and having a rewarding life, then you are a winner. You don't want to wake up and be an overweight, lonely, sunken eye 40 yo zombie.

Bluffoon
02-25-2005, 04:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea... I'm bracing for a huge change. Hopefully, our baby will be the kind that just sleeps all the time ?!?!? What are the chances?

[/ QUOTE ]

I prayed for two things when my son was born. Ten fingers and ten toes and that he sleeps. Well... one out of two aint bad.

Reef
02-25-2005, 04:41 PM
IMO, it is simply not possible to maintain 70+ hr work weeks without getting serious burnout after a short while.

BIGRED
02-25-2005, 04:48 PM
I assume you have a full time job?... a 9-to-5er?
So between that and the baby, how many hours of poker can you put in?