PDA

View Full Version : A couple simple situations which are causing me problems

billymonk
02-25-2005, 03:23 AM
Hi,

This seems like it should be simple, but situations like these are really giving me trouble. For both, assume, little knowledge of opponents (new to the table, or some other reason.) and that this is a low stakes table with blinds of .05/.10 to .10/.25

First scenario:
You post in the BB, and get dealt Q, 3. 4-6 limpers to you and you check.

Flop comes: Q, x, x

Your move. How does this change if SB bet, you bet and got raised.

Turn comes no help.

Your move. How does this change if:
You called a SB raise.
If you bet preflop and were only called by a couple of limpers.
You were raised after you bet the flop, and then you called.

Turn comes with help.

Your move. Same questions as above.

Second Scenario:
Same situation as above, except this time,

Flop comes: A(or K), Q, x

What's your move on the flop, and turn, with same questions as above.

Let me know if any other information is necessary.

Thanks

TheWorstPlayer
02-25-2005, 03:36 AM
Check/fold these hands as your SOP. If you bet and you are called or raised, you are most likely losing. Just forget about them. They will win you very small pots at best and if you get attached to TPWK you will lose more money than you will make. If the flop is checked around, you can start betting. The point of poker is to win money, not pots. Just forget these mediocre holdings with very little chance of improvement.

billymonk
02-25-2005, 03:58 AM
A-ha, I knew I was thinking about these way to much. Thanks.

pottie
02-25-2005, 08:36 AM
SOP?
sorry first time i see that...
standard opening play?

TheWorstPlayer
02-25-2005, 12:45 PM
Standard Operating Procedure. You will see it all over these boards.

spoohunter
02-25-2005, 12:47 PM
With top pair no kicker in the BB I am folding to the initial bet by the SB.

If I get called, I am check folding the turn. If I am raised, I fold.

Tilt
02-25-2005, 12:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Check/fold these hands as your SOP. If you bet and you are called or raised, you are most likely losing. Just forget about them. They will win you very small pots at best and if you get attached to TPWK you will lose more money than you will make. If the flop is checked around, you can start betting. The point of poker is to win money, not pots. Just forget these mediocre holdings with very little chance of improvement.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree somewhat.

If it checks around to the button who bets or the LAG who always bets, I c/r to take it down right there. Generally you are ahead. You can shut down after that if it gets too heavy for your hand.

If it checks through and the turn isn't a scary card I fire a bullet if I still hold top pair.

All-in-all, these plays are probably even, but not negative, EV. But under the right game conditions they will make your table image appear more aggressive, which gets you paid off when you have a real hand. Sure you may only win small pots with these plays, but when you win those small pots alot you tend to piss people off. Which is a good thing. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

TheWorstPlayer
02-25-2005, 01:00 PM
I initially wrote "check/fold" but then I changed it to "check/fold should be your default" exactly for the reason you mention. If it gets checked around to an aggressive late position bettor, then I will often check/raise.