PDA

View Full Version : UFOs

[censored]
02-25-2005, 02:25 AM
I watched the Peter Jennings' special on UFO's tonight which was interesting. It effectively dismissed most of the supposed sightings but left a few unexplained.

Do you believe the universe contains other intelligent life?

Do you believe earth has been visited by extraterrestrial life?

Do you believe alien abductions are real?

If you do not believe in God would the absolute knowledge that there was no other life in the universe alter that belief?

If you do believe in God would the absolute knowledge of other intelligent life in the universe alter that belief?

My own opinion is that there probably is other intelligent life in the universe however I find it hard to believe that any beings are able to travel the distance needed to visit earth and I absolutely disregard the tales of abductions. If I were to absolutely know that no other life existed in the Universe I would be more likely to believe in God.

AngryCola
02-25-2005, 02:34 AM
"Do you believe the universe contains other intelligent life?"

Of course. I think it's silly not to.

"Do you believe earth has been visited by extraterrestrial life?"

I don't know, but I'm certainly open to the idea.
There are certainly a lot of weird things involving UFOs. The most recent that I can recall is the night when lots and lots of people saw strange lights in Arizona. Someone had it on tape too.

But who knows what the source of such things are? I don't.

This is the question I am most skeptical about, but I don't automatically disbelieve that it could have happened or is happening now.

But if I had to answer one way or the other, I would say no.

EDIT-

" If I were to absolutely know that no other life existed in the Universe I would be more likely to believe in God."

This part of your post makes zero sense to me.

[censored]
02-25-2005, 02:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]

There are certainly a lot of weird things involving UFOs. The most recent that I can recall is the night when lots and lots of people saw strange lights in Arizona. Someone had it on tape too.

[/ QUOTE ]

The special dealt with this effectively I thought. Basically a plane was dropping flare ballons which viewed from a distance gave the illusion of being one large object.

AngryCola
02-25-2005, 02:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Basically a plane was dropping flare ballons which viewed from a distance gave the illusion of being one large object.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow.

Now it all makes sense. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

PS- I edited my earlier post

peachy
02-25-2005, 02:45 AM
of course theres other life out there...it would be niave to think there wasnt...im not sure if they have been here...and there is no "God"

[censored]
02-25-2005, 02:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If I were to absolutely know that no other life existed in the Universe I would be more likely to believe in God."

This part of your post makes zero sense to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Basically I think the existance of other life in the universe to be mathematically certain. I find the possibility of no other life in the universe to be close to nil. If I were to have the knowledge that earth contained the only life and we were the only intelligent life I would be more apt to believe that we were created by some unknown and higher power AKA God.

lu_hawk
02-25-2005, 02:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably does.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing besides maybe some martian microbes blasted here by an asteroird.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No it is a ridiculous idea.

[ QUOTE ]
If you do not believe in God would the absolute knowledge that there was no other life in the universe alter that belief?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't believe in god but if i knew no other life existed then it might make me reconsider for a second. then i would think better of it.

natedogg
02-25-2005, 02:48 AM
Naive? Why do you say that? We have no way of even beginning to guess how likely it is for an earth-like environment to develop much less life in that environment.

Also, see Fermi's Paradox.

natedogg

AngryCola
02-25-2005, 02:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If I were to have the knowledge that earth contained the only life and we were the only intelligent life I would be more apt to believe that we were created by some unknown and higher power AKA God.

[/ QUOTE ]

But why?

Why does "God" have to be responsible for only humans?
In my view, this would only be the case if you believed in what certain religions try to tell you.

AngryCola
02-25-2005, 02:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
We have no way of even beginning to guess how likely it is for an earth-like environment to develop much less life in that environment.

[/ QUOTE ]

If by "no way", you mean it already has been done, you're right.

peachy
02-25-2005, 02:53 AM
it doesnt have to be an earth like enviornment - IF u went by this the chances might be slimmer, but we have organisms here that can live in absolute extreme colds, heats, pressures, toxic conditions. etc that "humans" would die at within an instant. So therefore to assume no planet in the entirety of space is not inhabited by some form of life is niave in my opinion.

Only people who think thier "God" made them a special one and only place in ALL of the universe fully believe we are the only things in exsistence without a doubt - and to me thats niave and hiding behind a false belief, sorry that this will offend people

jimdmcevoy
02-25-2005, 03:08 AM
I don't see why people are convinced there is life in other parts of our Universe. Here is a fact to work with:

Our Universe is at least 14 billion light-years in radius, and can be anything bigger up to infinity.

rusellmj
02-25-2005, 03:10 AM
Nearly every point of light in this photo is a galaxy. Still think we're alone?

http://server3.uploadit.org/files/russellmj-DeepField.jpg

Russ

nothumb
02-25-2005, 03:15 AM
Here's an idea:

WE HAVE NEVER BEEN TO THE REST OF THE UNIVERSE, SO WE DON'T KNOW IF THERE'S ANY LIFE THERE...

Who cares? Any aliens advanced enough to get here are advanced enough to have their way with us, and any planet we get to, we'll just ruin, so let's just hunker down and wait for the end.

NT

jimdmcevoy
02-25-2005, 03:20 AM
Dude, I need to see numbers.

First, someone needs to find a rough estimate of star density in our known Universe.

then I want to see some one's guess on the chance that:

Average number of planets orbiting a random star

A random planet having the correct enviorment (many factors here)

the chance that life would evolve on a planet when the conditions are just right.

jimdmcevoy
02-25-2005, 03:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
WE HAVE NEVER BEEN TO THE REST OF THE UNIVERSE, SO WE DON'T KNOW IF THERE'S ANY LIFE THERE...

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't need too, we have telescopes dude.

peachy
02-25-2005, 03:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Here's an idea:

Who cares? Any aliens advanced enough to get here are advanced enough to have their way with us, and any planet we get to, we'll just ruin, so let's just hunker down and wait for the end.

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

and u r now naive for that comment...and they said DO U BELIEVE...people r giving something called OPINIONS...i said i did...thx try again

AngryCola
02-25-2005, 03:23 AM
Again, someone has already done this.

If I was a smarter and more resourceful person (wacki), I would find a link or know the reference myself.

nothumb
02-25-2005, 03:30 AM
One of the last things I am is naive. I have simply tuned out all the extraneous things that our modern world encourages us to worry about for no reason. I am much happier not worrying about aliens, because I have absolutely no control over the situation and little to no knowledge of any relevant facts.

I have seen the fnords.

You, on the other hand, are one of those people who will open their mouth whenever anything resembling a 'thought' occurs to them, and then stand by whatever happens to come out as if it meant the world. Keep doing this, I'm sure it will endear you to others.

NT

peachy
02-25-2005, 03:31 AM
an important factor is being forgotten, as said before:

we have organisms here that can live in absolute extreme colds, heats, pressures, toxic conditions. etc that "humans" would die at within an instant

Just FYI there is other life besides "humans"

so looking for a planet JUST like ours isnt needed althought im sure one does or has exsited, i mean come on - they say mars used to be the equvalent in many ways to earth

peachy
02-25-2005, 03:37 AM
I dont spend any of my life "worrying" about "aliens", please! It was a question so I answered my thoughts. And yes i speak what I think and most of the things which have research behind it that i speak on i know what im talking about (FOR THE MOST PART!!) Im not learned about EVERYTHING but i say what I know and its not just stuff im pulling out of mah bum. And no, most people that know me genuinely enjoy who I am and if they dont i really dont care - so ill just clump u into the latter and smaller category

[censored]
02-25-2005, 03:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I dont spend any of my life "worry" about "aliens", please! And yes i speak what I think and most of the things which have research behind it that i speak on i know what im talking about (FOR THE MOST PART!!) Im not learned about EVERYTHING but i say what I know and its not just stuff im pulling out of mah bum. And no, most people that know me genuinely enjoy who I am and if they dont i really dont care - so ill just clump u into the latter and smaller category

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry but.....

ENGLISH MOTHERFUCKER DO YOU SPEAK IT?

nothumb
02-25-2005, 03:43 AM
Sigh.

I didn't say you don't know anything about aliens (although it wouldn't surprise me). Nor did I say that you shouldn't think about it. I said that I don't think about it, because I don't care and I'm happier that way. I said this because you called me naive for saying it doesn't matter, when in fact I have made a conscious decision not to care about this particular issue.

This is what I get for trying to explain anything to an argumentative idiot. Look - I KNOW you are going to answer the question, because you love to hear yourself talk.

[ QUOTE ]
And no, most people that know me genuinely enjoy who I am and if they dont i really dont care - so ill just clump u into the latter and smaller category

[/ QUOTE ]

Sweet... I'm a minority. Now I can finally get into Harvard.

NT

nothumb
02-25-2005, 03:44 AM
what?

peachy
02-25-2005, 03:46 AM
hes talkin about my inability to type or spell im sure

rusellmj
02-25-2005, 03:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Dude, I need to see numbers.

First, someone needs to find a rough estimate of star density in our known Universe.[ QUOTE ]

Okay, here's a rough estimate: Trillions.

[ QUOTE ]
then I want to see some one's guess on the chance that:

Average number of planets orbiting a random star[ QUOTE ]

My guess: Billions.

[ QUOTE ]
A random planet having the correct enviorment (many factors here)[ QUOTE ]

Conservative estimate: Tens of thousands.

[ QUOTE ]
the chance that life would evolve on a planet when the conditions are just right.

[/ QUOTE ]
Isn't this what we're all wondering?

Russ

[censored]
02-25-2005, 03:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
hes talkin about my inability to type or spell im sure

[/ QUOTE ]

Just ignore it. I'm tired and do not want to get into a debate.

nothumb
02-25-2005, 03:48 AM
Do they speak English in What?

peachy
02-25-2005, 03:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Do they speak English in What?

[/ QUOTE ]

he is asking me IF i speak english...like i said prolly b/c of the way i type or misspell

nothumb
02-25-2005, 03:57 AM
What ain't no country I ever heard of

peachy
02-25-2005, 04:00 AM
im so lost now lol

nothumb
02-25-2005, 04:05 AM
Say "what" again. SAY "WHAT" AGAIN. I dare you, I double dare you, motherfucker. Say "what" one more goddamn time.

nothumb
02-25-2005, 04:05 AM
That's weird, the swear filter didn't work, and I didn't try to avoid it.

NT

ucfryan
02-25-2005, 05:03 AM

Yes, it'd be an awful waste of space if not.

Most definately - Roswell 1947. There's all kinds of scientific data that points to something that did crash, as well as eye witness accounts by retired military personel who have come forward in the past couple of years. In addition, there's all sorts of proof that the government is definately hiding something. When Carter was elected to office, one of the first things he did was call up Bush Sr. at the CIA and ask him for the information on UFOs and such, Senior denied him access.

Not sure - leaning towards no.

If you do believe in God would the absolute knowledge of other intelligent life in the universe alter that belief?

Not at all.

CCass
02-25-2005, 11:32 AM

As Mark Twain said on an episode of STTNG, "To believe that we are the only life in the universe would be the ultimate show of arrogance".

Possibly, I don't have proof one way or the other.

See above answer.

I believe in God.

No.

crownjules
02-25-2005, 11:49 AM
I definitely believe alien life forms exist. Our galaxy alone contains millions of star systems. Multiply that by how many other galaxies are in our universe and the odds just seem to great.

I love stargazing. The thought once crossed my mind...right now, either on the other side of our galaxy or in a different one all together, two technologically advanced alien races could be annhilating each other and we wouldn't even know about it.

On a side note about galaxies, there was an article on CNN about how astromers have recently discovered the first potential "dark galaxy" (that is, one that is made up mostly of dark matter). Exciting.

Alobar
02-25-2005, 01:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Naive? Why do you say that? We have no way of even beginning to guess how likely it is for an earth-like environment to develop much less life in that environment.

natedogg

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, there is a forumula for this, and the resulting answer has more zeros in it than I care to write out.

I also would agree that it is a niave thought to think we are alone in this universe. The people who think that either are hung up on religion, or have no idea how truly vast the universe is.

M2d
02-25-2005, 01:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes
No-too damned far
see above
it probably would sway me (that whole bayes theorum thing)
it shouldn't change the way I feel about a higher power...just the way viewed man's interpretation of that higher power.

daryn
02-25-2005, 02:00 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
Here's an idea:

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

and u r now naive for that comment...and they said DO U BELIEVE...people r giving something called OPINIONS...i said i did...thx try again

[/ QUOTE ]

i think i hate u

LALDAAS
02-25-2005, 02:07 PM
I wont discount the fact that it is possible that some jerkoff and a couple of his buddies ran in to a feild and made this with board and rope trick.

But gimme a freakin break look at this damn thing!
http://cropcircleconnector.com/Sorensen/2001/GalaxyShiningTK.jpg

I just cant see this being pulled off without any proof of being there and or noone seeing them do this

wacki
02-25-2005, 02:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]

natedogg

[/ QUOTE ]

Stats can mislead.

See murchison meteorite. Left handed chiral excess does not lie, there is life elswhere, and we have a piece of it. Intelligent life???? Roll the die.

http://tlc.discovery.com/convergence/aliens/articles/cosmiccocktail.html

Not the best article, but it will do.

wacki
02-25-2005, 02:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I also would agree that it is a niave thought to think we are alone in this universe. The people who think that either are hung up on religion, or have no idea how truly vast the universe is.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are more stars in the universe than grains of sand on this planet.

peachy
02-25-2005, 02:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Here's an idea:

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i think i hate u

[/ QUOTE ]

good...im glad...that made my weekend!! /images/graemlins/grin.gif one down and the rest of the posters to go...

chaas4747
02-25-2005, 02:22 PM
I read something about this exact circle a while back. The amount of percision that is executed is amazing. I find it hard to believe that anyone could do this with a rope and a board.

Benal
02-25-2005, 04:06 PM
I watched this show last night. The most interesting segment to me was the "UFO" sighting in Southern Illinois. It was witnessed by 6 different police officers who all said this thing was huge, and made absolutly no noize. This IMO is pretty hard to dismiss, yet "the US gov is not in the business of investigating UFOs". Hmmmmmmm

peachy
02-25-2005, 04:11 PM
they investigate it hard core...money is set aside for it...they just wont announce this publicly. With the amount of money we have invested in our air craft, believe me they r policing the skys and have funding for research on UFOs

[censored]
02-25-2005, 04:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I watched this show last night. The most interesting segment to me was the "UFO" sighting in Southern Illinois. It was witnessed by 6 different police officers who all said this thing was huge, and made absolutly no noize. This IMO is pretty hard to dismiss, yet "the US gov is not in the business of investigating UFOs". Hmmmmmmm

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree I thought that sighting seemed to be the most plausible. You had multiple sightings by respected members of the community. Either they all go together or they saw something.

CORed
02-25-2005, 04:19 PM
There is a formula for calculating the probability that other intelligent beings exist. The trouble is that we don't have enough information to do anything but make wild guesses at the numbers in the formula. I would be very surprised is we are the only intelligent life in the universe. I would be mildly surprised if we are the only intelligent life in this galaxy. This of course assumes that humans qualify as "intelligent", something that I sometimes seriously doubt.

mmbt0ne
02-25-2005, 04:23 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
Say "what" again. SAY "WHAT" AGAIN. I dare you, I double dare you, motherfuc[/b]ker. Say "what" one more goddamn time.

[/ QUOTE ]

hahahahaha, I was hoping you'd be able to get to this line.

CORed
02-25-2005, 04:31 PM
I have no doubt that everybody saw something. Whether that "something" was of extraterrestrial origin is much more questionable.

CORed
02-25-2005, 04:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Almost certainly.
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Probably not, but it's possible.
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
No.

I'm agnostic, but I don't really see why the presence or absence of other life would alter ones belief or non-belief in God.

The once and future king
02-25-2005, 04:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There are more stars in the universe than grains of sand on this planet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Try Atoms.

CORed
02-25-2005, 05:52 PM
Okay: Two possible hypotheses:
1. People did it.
2. Extraterrestrials did it.

Which is more likely?

Of all the "evidence" offered for visitation of earth by extraterrestrial intelligence, crop circles have got to be the silliest. Those who can't imagine how people could do something like this and cover their tracks have a serious deficiency of imagination.

CORed
02-25-2005, 05:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I read something about this exact circle a while back. The amount of percision that is executed is amazing. I find it hard to believe that anyone could do this with a rope and a board.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe they used something more sophisticated than a board and a rope (lasers, surveying equipment). People do things with geometric precision all the time (buildings, machinery, roads and bridges, etc.) just because you aren't bright enough to figure out how to do it, it doesn't mean other people aren't.

[censored]
02-25-2005, 06:08 PM
Let alone capable of asking the question, If intelligent life were to use the resources needed to travel to earth do you really think they are going to play exosketch in a [censored] corn field.

CORed
02-25-2005, 06:11 PM
When I was in college (mid 70's) I was driving through north-central Colarado (North Park) on my way to visit my grandparents in the month September or October. It was shortly after sunset, and directly in front of me, I saw a bright shiny, silvery object in the sky. I couldn't really judge the size and distance of the object, but it looked like it could have been a metallic saucer-shaped object seen edge-on. I could not, at first, discern what it might be. However, as the sun got lower in the sky, and the object began to reflect less light, it became apparent that what I was seeing was in fact a very short jet contrail. The air at the altitude the plane was flying was apparently quite dry. A very short conrail was forming behind the plane, with a sort of double tapered, almost elliptical shape. When I first saw the contrail, it was getting full sun, but the sun was below the mountains, and probably below the horizon at ground level, which caused the reflected light from the contrail to appear very bright, resulting in the illusion of a metallic object.

My point? Certain lighting and atmospheric conditions can cause ordinary objects to appear quite different from what we expect. Also, when viewing an oject in the sky, the lack of reference points can make it very difficult to judge distance, size and speed. This perhaps doesn't explaing all UFO sitings, but I think it explains a lot of them. It took me a couple of minutes to figure out that what I was seeing was a jet contrail.

-Syk-
02-25-2005, 10:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The special dealt with this effectively I thought. Basically a plane was dropping flare ballons which viewed from a distance gave the illusion of being one large object.

[/ QUOTE ]

And many people dismissed this theory since they remained there for hours.. in the same spot before they finally left.

Ed S.
02-25-2005, 11:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I watched the Peter Jennings' special on UFO's tonight which was interesting. It effectively dismissed most of the supposed sightings but left a few unexplained.

My own opinion is that there probably is other intelligent life in the universe however I find it hard to believe that any beings are able to travel the distance needed to visit earth and I absolutely disregard the tales of abductions. If I were to absolutely know that no other life existed in the Universe I would be more likely to believe in God.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you watch the two hours? All of it? I saw both sides looked at it with it being open to all aspects. I thought it was a good program. Even though it was stuff I already knew. This was a breakthough over all. Let's build on that.

Ed S.

Freakin
02-26-2005, 12:38 PM
I can't exactly classify other life as "intelligent" if they travel millions of light years to stick probes up the ass of some slack-jawed yokel.

Freakin