PDA

View Full Version : Calling down the bully

Predator314
02-25-2005, 12:18 AM
I would have folded the turn or river against anybody else, but the villan was a very loose aggressive player. He never folded and raised over 1/2 the hands.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP1 calls, CO calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (21.33 SB) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, CO folds, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (12.66 BB) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls.

River: (14.66 BB) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 16.66 BB

Nick C
02-25-2005, 01:01 AM
I think the river call is all right. MP1 sounds like a player who will be holding something like ATo or A5s often enough.

27offsooot
02-25-2005, 01:10 AM
Did you consider leading into him on the flop?

ewile
02-25-2005, 01:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Did you consider leading into him on the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I was thinking that if you thought that the time had come to put him to the test, you should have stayed the aggressor rather than check/calling all the way down.

I also think that I might wait to take that stand on a hand when I could get him heads up.

emonrad87
02-25-2005, 01:56 AM
After capping preflop, that's an easy flop bet. He will raise, and BINGO you're heads up with him. THEN you can call him down, or even lead into him and/or 3-bet the flop if you're feeling spunky.

Flushed
02-25-2005, 02:19 AM
Are we approving a cap PF here b/c of the dead money contributed by UTG and UTG+1? (Usually capping with AQo is sorta meh, evan against LAGy opponents)

applej25
02-25-2005, 03:13 AM
Ok here's my deal. The fact that four others came along for the flop and three went to the turn and folded, greatly increases the odds that he has SOMETHING (at least a pair) which of course beats you. i can't really blame you for calling down, but if you can find a fold on the turn that would be best. Wait for a better spot, it'll all come back (and then some).

Nick C
02-25-2005, 03:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Ok here's my deal. The fact that four others came along for the flop and three went to the turn and folded, greatly increases the odds that he has SOMETHING (at least a pair) which of course beats you. i can't really blame you for calling down, but if you can find a fold on the turn that would be best. Wait for a better spot, it'll all come back (and then some).

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that Hero is probably behind on the turn. But no one has shown any postflop resistance to the LAG, and he could also just have overcards, and if so, those overcards could easily be something other than AK. Also, if Hero is behind and the LAG has, say, TT, then Hero would be wrong to fold his six outs, getting 13:1.

Anyway, though, I think Hero should call again unimproved on the river as well.

applej25
02-25-2005, 03:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, if Hero is behind and the LAG has, say, TT, then Hero would be wrong to fold his six outs, getting 13:1.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear ya, but given that villain can easily have any two you have to take into account the times you will hit and still lose to two pair, trips, etc. And that will cost you.

That said, as I said before I don't really have a problem with calling down but I am definitely not expecting to win very often.

Nick C
02-25-2005, 03:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I am definitely not expecting to win very often.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not either, really. But the pot is huge, and heads-up against this opponent, I think Hero will win often enough. (Also, occasionally he'll chop.)

Predator314
02-25-2005, 07:56 AM
I was still fairly new to this table, so the reason I check called the whole way was because I wasn't 100% (about 95%) sure of his play. I planned to fold the river if he bet and the other guy called because I knew I was behind. He bet the river, the other guy folded and there was no way I couldn't call with the pot being this large.

Anyway, he flipped over K9o and MHIG.

pyroponic
02-25-2005, 02:41 PM
I think capping is PF is iffy, they all called 2 cold the first time what makes you think anyone is going to fold for 2 more in such a big pot? Plus the pot is so big you have no C-R possibilites on the flop to get it HU or short-handed.

sfer
02-25-2005, 02:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He never folded and raised over 1/2 the hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bet the flop, get HU with the maniac, and then get to showdown cheap unimproved.

Predator314
02-25-2005, 05:31 PM
My pre-flop cap was for value purposes. I knew the villan was very capable of 3 betting me with crap. The other two callers were fairly loose as well. I felt I had the best hand at the time and capped it. I knew nobody would fold.