PDA

View Full Version : The melody in "Phone Tap"

ilya
02-25-2005, 12:08 AM
Does anyone know what it is? It's an old popular melody, I think from the mid-60's but I'm not sure. I really like the sample and I'd like to find the original song.

Eurotrash
02-25-2005, 12:45 AM
you mean Phone Tap by The Firm? that's a good track.

i'm not sure about what they sample, but at one point I think Nas says, "in the background's an old cassette - fly Stephanie Mills [censored]"

so that kind of leads me to believe it's something by Stephanie Mills.

ilya
02-25-2005, 12:51 AM
nah, I checked that. It's not Stephanie Mills. Though it kind of saddens me that Nas likes Stephanie Mills.

Eurotrash
02-25-2005, 12:54 AM
really, not Stephanie Mills? All this time that's what I thought that lyric meant.. hm. oh well.

"that was Nate he hit me last night late while in my ho's stomach."

IggyWH
02-25-2005, 01:08 AM
I remember when that Carl Thomas and Faith Evans song came out about 5 years ago with the same beat. I wanted to know the name of the song because the version they were playing on the radio never matched any version I downloaded. I called up the local urban station and asked them what's the name of the track with Carl & Faith with the Phone Tap beat and the guy replied "What's Phone Tap?".

It's sad when an 18 year old white boy from the burbs knows more about hiphop than an Urban radio station in a city DJ knows.

IggyWH
02-25-2005, 01:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone know what it is? It's an old popular melody, I think from the mid-60's but I'm not sure. I really like the sample and I'd like to find the original song.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure if this is what you're thinking about, but there is an older jazz song that is sort of similar to Phone Tap... especially the beginning.

"Petit Fleur" by Chris Barber