PDA

View Full Version : Making $150/day playing poker ~ playing live ~ daily average?

Cory Neely
02-24-2005, 10:06 PM
I saw the post the guy made about about making $150/day and I wanted to narrow it down to live play. I know there are people that make more money online than I will ever make live but I want to hear from the live players who do this. My friend and I have averaged about $175 a day playing 4/8 holdem which really isnt that hard. There are some days where we are up $250 each in the first few hours then there are some days that we sit there for 8 hours and and come out even. I am perfectly happy with making this amount daily but if anyone would like to post what they make daily on average playing live then feel free to share. (any $1k+? /images/graemlins/grin.gif)

SenecaJim
02-25-2005, 06:23 AM
What is your sample size?

Michael Davis
02-25-2005, 07:23 PM
You can't make $175 a day playing 4-8. Maybe you're talking about combined, then it's possible. But given this post unlikely.

-Michael

dogmeat
02-25-2005, 09:05 PM
In a good game right now I don't think you can average more than 2x the big bet, or $16 per hour in a $4/$8 game. This is based on 40 hands per hour (either fast dealers, or a two-deck game with a card shuffling machine). Most live games can provide a good player with about 1BB/hour and a very good player with 1.5BB. I don't play above $10/$20 very often, so can't give many results from experience, but the $16/$32 games in N. California are pretty live and 2BB is possible. In higher games it is generally believed that the hourly rate falls.

Dogmeat /images/graemlins/spade.gif

La Brujita
02-25-2005, 09:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My friend and I have averaged about $175 a day playing 4/8 holdem which really isnt that hard. There are some days where we are up $250 each in the first few hours then there are some days that we sit there for 8 hours and and come out even.

[/ QUOTE ]

You forgot to add in those days you get your a$$ handed to you. It happens to everyone.

I too wonder how big the sample size is.

Bellagibro
02-25-2005, 09:51 PM
I think it's possible to make $175 a day but only if you play 12 hours a day. Why not get a bankroll and play bigger? $150-200 per day is not unheard of for 10-20/15-30 players.

SenecaJim
02-25-2005, 10:37 PM
still waiting on that sample size dawg.

Cory Neely
02-26-2005, 02:30 AM
Im being asked alot to post sample size. I look at this as a double edge sword. No matter what I post here I will get nothing but negative. Too small of a sample size will result in people saying its too small and it wont last. A decent sized sample will result in the same thing and I big sample will result in disbelief. If you guys seriously want to make some cash then come play in Tulsa because the 4/8 game is so loose you would have to be an idiot not to come out at least +$100 for a 8 hour session. Sure I have had my ass handed to me once but only because it was my fault. I was 90% sure the guy (very loose player who loves to raise)had AK so I kept raising (22ajj board and I had kjs on the button). You can imagine what he showed me and I lost about $80 on the hand. That is the only time I have ever been outplayed in a live game and I learned from it. I used to buyin for $150 and I would never let myself drop below 12 big bets. Now I buyin for $200. You can be skeptical all you want but I think ahead and know there will be days where I will lose but there are also days where I am at the juiciest table you can imagine and am beating it for so much but I just happen to be playing it at the end of a 12 session and am tired as hell then there will be the days where I will start on that table and can continue raking it in all day.

BTW if any of you still want to know my sample is only about 3 weeks and I cant wait for that 1 year losing streak thats comming up anytime now according to most people here.

imported_Hamilton
02-26-2005, 05:15 AM
I would think it's far easier to make (and lose) money online given the fact that you can play multiple tables at the same time.... If you see yourself as a good player wouldn't it be more advantageous to play online?

bobbyi
02-26-2005, 05:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I would think it's far easier to make (and lose) money online given the fact that you can play multiple tables at the same time.... If you see yourself as a good player wouldn't it be more advantageous to play online?

[/ QUOTE ]
The games are much softer live and there are a lot of advantages for the good player to actually getting to see the people you're playing with as you play with them. There is a lot more to profit in poker than just how many hands you can be dealt an hour. Also, if you're playing multiple tables, you can't fully focus on all of them. I'm pretty sure that a lot of people who are playing four tables of online 15/30 could do at least as well per hour if they were in a good live 40/80 game, although it would take some adjustment time since the exact skills needed online and live are different. Of course, there are others who wouldn't. It's a slightly different game and some people are probably better suited to online play and some are better suited to live play.

Onaflag
02-26-2005, 03:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There is a lot more to profit in poker than just how many hands you can be dealt an hour.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen, Brutha! That is so damn spot on, it's worth repeating.

[ QUOTE ]
There is a lot more to profit in poker than just how many hands you can be dealt an hour.

[/ QUOTE ]

Onaflag..........

ravanger
02-26-2005, 03:54 PM
i like playin live games more than tourneys because in live games i am almost always guarenteed money.where as in a tourney if i go all in and someone outdraws me and i rebuy for $210 more and dont win...than that was a waste of money.however..the normal live games i play have buy ins of $200-$500...i start with $350..and win around $800.since the maximum bet is 20 or 40..than u cant waste ur buy in all at once.if u play conservitive in a tourney and dont get enough hands...when the blinds reach 4000 and 8000, u will be screwed, if u play conservative in limit it wont cost u nearly as much.i forget what the question was..i just felt like talkin /images/graemlins/grin.gif

SenecaJim
02-26-2005, 04:14 PM
so you average , assuming about an 8 hr. session, $100/hr or $800 a day practically everytime you play? And GUARANTEED (we spell it differently) MONEY at that. Is this Phil ?

PokerFink
02-28-2005, 09:30 PM
I'm less interested in your sample size (3 weeks) and more interested in how many hours per day you play.

If you are playing 10-12 hours per day, then your results seem perfectly reasonable for a juicy 4/8 game, assuming you are a very solid player. Your win rate might drop over time, but I'm not going to doubt you. There are some pathetic 4/8 games out there.

I think the theory of 1-2BB/Hour simply doesn't hold that true anymore for live play, especially at limits like 4/8. The play in some places is SO bad that you can make more than this per hour.

Although I do agree with another poster; if you're doing this well, why not try to get a bigger roll together and move up to a higher limit?

Cory Neely
02-28-2005, 09:42 PM
I play about 8 hours a day. I am working on the bigger roll to play the higher limits.

PokerFink
02-28-2005, 10:15 PM
~2.7BB/Hour. That is a very impressive win rate, but it still seems possible if the game is really bad, which you say it is.

I woulden't be surprised to see your long-term winrate drop; if nothing else you might lose focus for a period of time, or the grind will get to you after a few months. Maybe, maybe not. Perhaps you can keep it up.

Goodluck building your bankroll and moving up.

FredJones888
03-01-2005, 01:36 PM
you are talking about making roughly $19/hr for an 8hr day.

You will need to be able to consistently beat 10/20 to do that.

If you intend to tip the dealers and pay income tax ( which you should ) then you will probably need to beat 15/30 or higher.

Your Mom
03-04-2005, 09:16 PM
In 188.75 hours of 5/10 live, I average 2.9 BB/hour.

thatpfunk
03-05-2005, 09:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, thats less than 10,000 hands. 10k hand downswings are possible...

Your Mom
03-05-2005, 12:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, thats less than 10,000 hands. 10k hand downswings are possible...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it is possible. It's also possible for a 10k upswing. I feel quite confident this win rate is about where I would be after a million hours. I don't think you understand how badly people play live.

IsaacW
03-07-2005, 12:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sure I have had my ass handed to me once but only because it was my fault. I was 90% sure the guy (very loose player who loves to raise)had AK so I kept raising (22ajj board and I had kjs on the button). You can imagine what he showed me and I lost about $80 on the hand. That is the only time I have ever been outplayed in a live game and I learned from it.

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL!

[ QUOTE ]
BTW if any of you still want to know my sample is only about 3 weeks and I cant wait for that 1 year losing streak thats comming up anytime now according to most people here.

[/ QUOTE ]
+HARHAR! 21 days at 8 hours/day and 40 hands/hour is 6,720 hands. You've been running good, probably, unless you are a very solid player and the game is very soft. However, statements like "that is the only time I have ever been outplayed in a live game" belie your amateur status. I used to think that way, too, when I went on a good run at the beginning of my poker days. I was the best player in the FW $5/10 kill game. Then I hit the bad side of variance (I might have been a breakeven player at the time) and lost all my winnings back. I realized my hubris and sought out this place.

Stick around here and you'll find lots of good advice that will improve your game. Good poker to you.