PDA

View Full Version : Hand Analysis

suited_ace
02-24-2005, 09:21 PM
Can you comment on my play?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP1 (t1890)
Hero (t1230)
MP3 (t1780)
CO (t1460)
Button (t1440)
SB (t1290)
BB (t1360)
UTG (t120)
UTG+1 (t2930)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls t20, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls t20, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t80) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets t40</font>, SB calls t40, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t200</font>, Button folds, SB calls t160.

Turn: (t520) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t120</font>, Hero calls t120.

River: (t760) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t240</font>, Hero calls t240.

Final Pot: t1240

MLG
02-24-2005, 09:28 PM
You deserve to get outkicked the way you played this hand. Don't get so cute here. Your hand is not nearly good enough to throw 200 chips in there on this flop. You should bet the flop and hope to get it heads-up, then bet the turn to maintain control of the hand, and then check behind on the river and hope you aren't outkicked.

On another note, posts like this are why I really dislike the converter. If you type up your own hand you would be forced to justify this weird overly tricky play, which will either win you a little pot or lose you a big one. With the converter you just throw it in there and it pops out a hand, and you say discuss without ever having to think about the hand yourself.

ClaytonN
02-24-2005, 09:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Flop: (t80) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets t40</font>, SB calls t40, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t200</font>, Button folds, SB calls t160.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only hands he'll call you with on the flop will own you, so this is an overly large checkraise. Just bet it out, don't get artsy-fartsy.

Chief911
02-24-2005, 09:32 PM
I think you played it very poorly aside from the flop. I have no problem limping in. But limping in from MP with no one else in is a iffy play. At that point I think I'd come in for a raise or fold.

Ok, so the flop. Middle/low aces are hands that I hate to get involved in. Because they are so tempting to overplay, which is exactly what you did here. You made a play at the pot, and someone with a good ace, or something big called your attempt at stealing the pot.

I think its obvious at this point he has a better hand than you (most of the time). So you proceed to call off over 1/4 of your stack on the turn and river with a horribly weak hand.

I'd like to know what your read possibly could have been on this player to call him down like this after he called your big raise on the flop?

What was your thought process on the river? 240? Do you really think your hand is good even 1 of 5 times here?

Nick

02-24-2005, 10:23 PM
Hey Nick...

I'm apparently a very flaky poster, I pop in, drop a reply to one of your posts and go away for a couple days. I really respect your posts so I don't want you to think I don't like the way you play, but... I open limp here alot mostly because I like to play alot of flops so, personally, I'm not opposed to the limp. I agree with the rest of your analysis though. Everything after the flop was pretty much bad. I'd lead at the flop and fold on the river. I'm not exactly sure what I'd do on the turn, but I'm pretty sure I'd call looking to suck out and get paid for it /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Gavin Griffin

suited_ace
02-24-2005, 11:47 PM
Ok, I'll try to respond to everyone's posts. First of all, I posted this hand because for the first time I played a whole tournament brain dead. This wasn't tricky playing, this was just not thinking at all. I got some very bad news before starting to play and couldn't concentrate at all.

This produced a very interesting effect: I got to make all my most common errors in just one hand. This thread is probably useless for the other readers (and I apologize for that), but as astonishing as it may seem, it is extremely useful to me.

That doesn't change anything, but if you're curious, the guy had A4o.

Chief911
02-25-2005, 01:48 AM
I dont mind limping here horribly, just not from MP as the first one into the pot. I still probably do it 50/50, with the other 50% either folding or raising. I've started liking to see alot of flops too. =/

Nick

MLG
02-25-2005, 02:32 AM
with more than 30x or so I'm open limping. Less than that i want the blind money and im raising.

02-25-2005, 02:56 AM
This could be my problem adjusting to online tourneys. I'm so used to playing in tourneys where I have more starting chips than what you get online or at least the chip to blind ratio changes slower than it does in online tourneys.

GG

MLG
02-25-2005, 03:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
the chip to blind ratio changes slower than it does in online tourneys.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gaving, obviously I haven't played as many slow live tournies as you have, but I think this is the key. The 25-50 to 50-100 double is huge online, and party and stars both have it. Your stack is just brutally halved. UB does a better job in their above 100 dollar events at easing up the stack to blind ratio. In live tournies the blinds don't really ever double (at least after the first two rounds) so it eases the blind ratio down much more gradually.

02-25-2005, 03:37 AM
yeah, that 25/50-50/100 jump is absolutely brutal on your stack. Full Tilt does a good job with their blind increases in this spot. Now, if they could only start you with more chips, make the levels longer, and get more players...

Gavin

MLG
02-25-2005, 03:48 AM
Do you get to have your name in red on full tilt? you should, then everybody can keep asking you who you are.

02-25-2005, 03:53 AM
lol... I was wearing a Full Tilt shirt in the Bahamas and one of the photographers asked me if I was a Full Tilt player now. I said no, I haven't really had any offers for sponsorship.... She said "That's good, you haven't sold out" My response: "I'll sell out in a second, it's just that nobody's buying" lol