PDA

View Full Version : It all comes down to 1 hand?

KenProspero
02-24-2005, 07:04 PM
I'm increasingly finding that how I place in a tournament is coming down to 1 (maybe two hands).

By this I mean, there's usually a key hand in which I have a lot of chips in the pot. If I win that hand I'm almost always in the money, with a good chance of winning. If I lose that hand, I'm scrambling, and lucky for third.

Generally (though not always) this hand comes when there are 4-6 players in the game (intentional because I'm pretty tight in the early rounds), or when my stack is below 7-8big blinds (yes, I know many advocate 10bb in this forum, I find 7-9 times better) and I'm making my 'stand'.

Finally, I'm finding that a good majority of the time, I'm ahead in the hand at the time when the chips go into the center -- which is accounting for an overall +ev.

I assume this is fairly common, but am asking the question.

apd138
02-24-2005, 07:43 PM
I don't really understand what you want me to say, if you play at party the tournies go so quick that you are going to be in coinflip situations a good % of the time.

Big Limpin'
02-24-2005, 07:53 PM
Rest assured that it is the same for everyone.
Being 60/40 in the 1 or 2 big hands you play (verus 50/50 or 40/60) is what seperates posROI from treading water.
Of course its not always that simple, but, you know...