PDA

View Full Version : EPT Deauville - Day 1

colson10
02-24-2005, 07:04 PM
Day 1:

245 entrants, we draw for seats and I get seated two to the left of Noah Boeken (Exclusive on stars, winner of previous EPT event). I’ve played against Noah on stars and have never thought him to be too scary, but I know he’s had some good results and he’s a student of Marcel’s so I assume the guy can play. I don’t recognize anyone else at my table.

My table starts out 9 handed and I do a lot of folding. This being a 2000 euro event is the biggest buy in tournament I’ve ever played. It’s also my first time starting out with 10,000 chips (good structure with 60 min rounds).

My first big hand comes when I get QQ in LP. Laggy but good asian guy opens UTG to 200 (25-50), folds to me and I make it 700. He calls pretty quickly. I’ve gathered that UTG has played a hand full of big buy in tournaments. Noah kidded him about being a scary player to have at his table. The only hand I’ve seen the guy play was when he completed the SB with AQc, check raised the limper on a AK8 two club flop, then check raised again on the turn when he made his flush. He now has about 20K after doubling up on that hand.

Flop comes down J73, two diamonds. I don’t have the Qd. He checks, I bet 800, he c/r’s to 2000. I think for a second and call. Turn is 6o, he checks. I now get stuck on the only hand I’ve seen him play and fear another check raise is coming. Of course this is a totally different scenario and I think I need to bet here, but I thought about how much I was going to hate it if I make a bet and he check raises. I would obviously have to fold in that situation and the pot is around 5K so I’d need to bet at least 2.5K on the turn. I decide to check behind thinking I’m going to call a reasonable river bet. The river is the 3d, completing the flush. He confidently leads out 3K. I now take a minute to think it through again and feel I can only beat a bluff. I put him on AA, KK, a set, a flush, or a bluff. I decide 3K is too much and fold, pissed at myself for not betting the turn. I later got to talking to this guy a bit as we were involved in some more hands together. He told me (and not to the whole table) he had QQ on this hand, and I believe him.

I fold some more and start to feel like I have a good read on most everyone at the table. Noah seems tricky, making some very strange plays. He likes to limp a lot with the blinds small. An interesting hand that I was not involved in happened when Noah opened in EP. I think blinds were 75-150 by this point, and he made it 400 or 450. the guy right behind him called, we haven’t seen much from this guy since he’s relatively new to the table. Flop is T76, two clubs. Noah bets 400, other guy makes it like 1600, Noah doesn’t take long in calling. Turn is 6o, check, bets over 3K leaving himself with 2K exactly, Noah calls. River is offsuit undercard, check, all in for 2K, call. Other guy flips over ATh and Noah mucks. A couple days later when I met Noah away from the table I asked him about the hand and he said he had KT.

With a very tight image I open with AJs utg for 450. I get two late position callers and Noah in the SB goes all in for about 2100 more. With about 8K total, I fold and the first caller goes all for 6 or 7K more, the next caller is the asian guy from the QQ hand. He agonizes for a while and folds AKs face up. Noah has TT and other guy has 22. The flop has a deuce, but the turn is a T.

Asian dude limps for 200, I complete in the SB with 44, around 8K. Flop is K43r. I check, weak BB bets 400, Asian dude who looks like he wants to raise calls, I call. Turn is 5. I check, BB bets 400, Asian dude makes it 3K more, I move all in. BB folds, Asian dude agonizes for a while, worried he let me hit a gutshot. He ends up folding.

Blinds 100-200, I open for 600 in MP with TT. Button calls, as well as BB (asian dude). Flop comes down Q65, two diamonds. I bet 1200, button calls, BB folds. I’m think there’s a good chance I’m ahead here since the button has fast played all his big hands on the flop. Turn is 8o. I bet 2200 and he folds KQ face up. A couple hands later he asks me about the hand, “AQ?” I tell him, “I had AQ beat”, but I’m pretty sure I had a smirk as I said it and was not very convincing.

Last hand before dinner break, goose limps in MP, button limps, I complete SB with J9 spades. Blinds still 100-200. Flop is T88, two clubs. I check with a high probability of check raising, it checks around. Turn is 6h, creating a second flush draw. I bet 400, goose calls and button puts out his four chips to call but they include three 100 chips and one 500 chip, so he min raises. It’s very obvious that he meant to call by the way he kind of reached back once he saw the 500 chip. Goose comments “I wonder if he saw that”, referring to me. Goose seems weak like he doesn’t want me to raise. Goose only has around 5K more, button 6K. I consider putting in a big reraise but decide against it. River is the Qh, making my straight but completing the back door flush draw, and since there wasn’t a bet on the flop one of them could easily have it. I check, goose bets 2K of his remaining 4500, button folds. I contemplate a bit and decide there is a good enough chance that he’s bluffing or making a bad bet. I also have a comfortable stack and will be left with around 13k if I’m wrong. He looks disgusted when I call saying something about how I must have the 8, “or that” when I flip it over.

I’m up to ~21K at the dinner break and feeling good.

I get off to a really fast start coming back from dinner. I take the blinds a couple times, then I call a EMP raise with 99 and call a flop bet when I smell weakness on a AK5 two spaded board. Turn is the 3s, he checks and I bet about a third of the pot and take it down.

I open with 33 in MP, folds to tight BB who I think is a woman named Lucy who I’ve seen on late night poker before. Flop is AKK. I decide to check behind on the flop. I do this for a couple reasons; it can make it look a bit more like I flopped something huge, and if she has a K I can maybe win a big pot if a 3 comes off. I plan on betting the turn if she checks, but she leads out. I think about raising and representing a big one, but decide to let it go-mainly for the sake of my image. I had been playing pretty fast since the dinner break and I thought it would help me out if I could convince them that I wasn’t going to bet a missed flop after raising preflop.

New guy sits down and two to my right and in his third hand at the table he makes it 1000 UTG (150-300), UTG+1 moves all in for 4500, I look at KK UTG+2 and try to make it 10K but bring out 11K and didn’t declare 10, so I have to make it 11, doesn’t change anything though. Folds to UTG who immediately moves in for 3 something more. I start to feel a little sick but obviously call. Our hands remain unturned while the dealer is figuring something out with the stacks. I start to feel a bit better thinking that if UTG had AA he would just turn it over, and he didn’t seem to be in any hurry. But of course when the dealer asks to see all hands he flips over AA, short stack has 55. Short stack hits his 5 but I can’t get any help. This puts me down to 15K and leaves my mind racing about how I was almost up to 50K. It’s really hard to for me to stop thinking about it. I’m hoping I don’t get dealt a hand so I can just fold for a bit and get my head straight. It takes 10-15 min, but I start to feel better. Unfortunately I missed nearly every hand that was played during that stretch and I don’t feel like I know the flow of the table at the moment.

I raise AK in MP, short stack goes all in right behind me for 3K or so. He has 99 and it holds up. I get down under 10K at one point after raising, being reraised and having to fold. I steal some blinds and end up at 16.5K at the end of the day.

colson10

MLG
02-24-2005, 08:01 PM
really nice report, can't wait for the rest of it.

nolanfan34
02-24-2005, 08:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, and I especially want to see if you agree with Brandon that he played like [censored] at the final table.

colson10
02-24-2005, 08:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, and I especially want to see if you agree with Brandon that he played like [censored] at the final table.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha. Oh, I don't know. He certainly didn't play his best. He made one clear mistake against Justin where he simply didn't know his opponents stack size. Then he just got owned HU.

Algasm
02-24-2005, 08:33 PM
Very nice report. I can't wait for volume 2.

PuckNPoker
02-24-2005, 09:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Then he just got owned HU.

[/ QUOTE ]

How'd that work out for him. /images/graemlins/wink.gif /images/graemlins/spade.gif

lil_o
02-24-2005, 10:43 PM
nice post /images/graemlins/smile.gif

VBM
02-24-2005, 11:12 PM
m'seatown homie! u & schaef do us proud. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

colson10
02-25-2005, 01:55 AM
Day 2

With 16.5K and blinds at 400-800 75a I’m in my comfort zone of playing with 20 or less blinds, an internet stack.

I get off to a rocky start. I have a really aggressive player to my right who is not allowing me to open many pots. After blinding off a bit, I open 66 UTG, LP reraises and I have to fold. I’m down to 8K when blinds go up to 600-1200. I start to feel the end is near, and I’m okay with that, until I look over at Schaefer. Devilfish has just sat down next to him and he’s raking in a big pot, I’m insanely jealous. The only upside is that it will be a fun table to watch when I get knocked out.

Folds to me in the CO and I push for a little under 8K with JTs. BB reluctantly calls half his stack with A9d. I hit a T on the turn and I’m breathing again.

There is a tight player across the table(or at the time I perceive him to be tight) who I decide I need to open on his blind whenever I get the chance. When it’s his blind I’m in MP, a nice spot to steal from. Same orbit it folds to me on his big blind. I look down at J7o and don’t like it, but follow through with my plan and raise to 3500. Folds to BB, who calls (not quite as tight as I thought). Flop is JT8, two clubs. BB checks, I have about 13K and the pot is 8K. After I push I realize it’s a very plausible I could get a loose call from a worse hand since my push could be interpreted as an AK, AQ, maybe even 77 type of hand. BB has a reasonably big stack too, maybe 50K. He doesn’t take long in calling with KT. I dodge a couple cards and am all of a sudden in solid shape.

I open with TT in MP, blinds 800-1600. I make it 4500 and guy right behind me goes all in for about 10K total. I call, he has QQ. I flop a flush draw and hit it on the turn.

I open AJs in EP and super tight short stack goes all in right behind me. I know I’m in trouble here but call getting a little over 2.5-1. He has KK and it holds up.

I reraise a couple times when people open in LP and I have position. I’m rolling, getting up over 60K. People are rapidly getting knocked out, making it difficult to make plays based on reads since we continually have new players coming in.

New guy opens in the CO for 4200 (blinds 1-2K). He hasn’t done much in the orbit and a half he’s been here, I think taking down the blinds once. He has me covered with about 80K. I defend my BB with 86o. Flop is J33, two clubs. I check, he bets 4400, I c/r to 13000. I don’t have a read on him since he’s new, but my primary rationale for bluffing here is that he doesn’t have a read on me, and he’ll most likely have to lay down unless he has an unlikely overpair, big J, or a hand with a 3 in it. He thinks for a while and reraises to 40K. I pretend to think for a minute and fold. He emphatically throws down K5h and yells something in French as he walks away from the table towards his buddy. It bothered me a bit, but not nearly as much as my KK running into AA for a big pot. It does make me slow down a bit.

I fold for an orbit and a half and open with A9 in the CO, BB reraises and I have to fold.

I’m starting to dwindle. We’re probably around 45 left, with 27 getting paid. I’m down to 30K when the blinds go up 1500-3000. From this point on until the money I don’t really remember too many details. But basically, I squeezed my way into the money playing a short stack. My only move was all in as I wavered between 6 and 12 big blinds. I never picked up a big hand, but just used position the best I could. I would make sure to fold most hands on the button and CO trying to establish some trust. I had a really tight player on left so after folding to him once, I think I moved in every time I got the chance. He said, “you know, once of these times I’m going to wake up with AA”. Haha, I thought it was hilarious, his blind was essentially free.

I think it’s important to note that I was playing to make the money, but I was intent on not losing my folding equity. I had to pick my spots very carefully and be okay with going out a few spots away from the money, busting out with a hand like T8o. I was very fortunate to not run into any real hands.

The bubble hand was amazing. We’re down to 28 and I’m super short at the time, around 24K with 2-4K blinds. I now start to dread going out 28th, thinking about how disappointing and humiliating it will be. I get over it though and remind myself not to lose my folding equity. 27th place received 2600 euros, the fact that it wasn’t a huge amount of money allowed me to keep pushing with trash when I felt it was the right spot. There was a big commotion at one of the other tables and everyone from my table rushes over. KK vs AA, and AA has him covered. The door card is a K, but the turn is an A.

It’s a relief to get into the money. 27-18 pays the same so I start thinking about trying to double up. We redraw and I find myself with a group of players who are mostly unknown to me.

MP opens and I find myself on the button with KQo. I know MP from earlier and figure his range is very wide in this particular spot. I think there’s a very good chance I’m not dominated, with a chance of actually having the best hand. I decide to gamble and move all in knowing I’m getting called. He has A5, I flop a Q.

My table is playing very tight now, and blinds go up to 3-6K. I have 50ish and start moving in very liberally. Pretty much any chance I get to open and have any sort of hand, my chips are going in the middle. I make sure to fold a button and CO when it was folded to me. People start to comment though.

We’re down to 21, 7 handed. I have 55 utg, and think about folding. I would have folded if it was a full table but decide to move in since its 7 handed. Folds to dude who had the K5 hand against me who calls with 88. I lose the hand and I’m down to 18K.

I post the BB and ante. EP opens for 18K, folds to SB who calls. I now have 11.8K left. I look down at K3o. I optimistically put EP on AQ and SB on 66, hoping my K is live, and call trying to triple up. Flop comes down KQ3r. SB bets out 30K, EP folds. SB has AJ and I dodge the T.

I take the blinds a couple times and next time its my BB it folds to SB. I have a pretty good read on him. He immediately makes it 20K. I’m not sure if he’s even looked at his cards, but I sense he’s on a straight steal. I count my chips and have another 50K or so that I could reraise. My hand is 89o. I decide I have enough chips he’s not going to call with anything (he probably had 200 or so to start the hand) and figure if he does call, my 89 probably won’t be in too bad of shape. He folds to my all in.

We get down to 18 players and we’re guaranteed 3600 euros. We redraw and only have 10 min or so left in the round, after which we quit for the day. I don’t play a hand, but lose my blinds. I’m at 87.5K at the end of day 2, blinds will be going up to 5-10K.

colson10

ZBTHorton
02-25-2005, 02:03 AM
Keep'em coming!

nolanfan34
02-25-2005, 02:11 AM
Good post. Just goes to show no matter how good you play, you still have to dodge a few bullets.

ethan
02-25-2005, 02:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Good post. Just goes to show no matter how good you play, you still have to dodge a few bullets.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oddly enough, the one MTT I've won I did so without getting my money in with the worst of it. (At least, not worse than the 45 end of 45/55.) But that was a 6:00ET party 30+3 with 160 players. I'm not sure it's even close to possible in the afternoon ones starting with 1200. So. Suck out or just run really, really good preflop /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Great trip reports, keep 'em coming.

PrayingMantis
02-25-2005, 12:07 PM
Nice report. I've been there too (talked with you briefly) but busted pretty early. BTW, maybe the asian guy at your table you are talking about is Willie Tan, who was European player of the year 2004 (by CardPlayer I think), and also made it to the money in Deauville? Should be a very good player. Check him out here:

Willie Tan (http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/player.php?a=r&n=226)

colson10
02-25-2005, 01:39 PM
Day 3

We’re down to 18 and guaranteed 3600 euros. The money now goes up every three spots. 16-18 get 3600, 13-15 get 4500, 10-12 get 5400. Then there is a big jump up to 9800 for 9th, 13.5 for 8th, up to 40 for 3rd, 80 for 2nd, and 144K euros for 1st (1.3xUS dollar)

I’m in the two seat, Schaefer (good friend, twoplustwo’er) in the four, Keith “The Camel” Hawkins in the one. I’ve played against The Camel on stars a number of times and know him to be very aggressive and good. I have all the big stacks at my table. I have 87.5K with blinds going up to 5-10K 1a and feel good about my short stack play from the day before.

I start out UTG or UTG +1 so I’m quickly down almost 20K. I get a chance to open in EMP on very tight Luca Pagano (3rd in EPT Barcelona). He was one of the guys mentioning how much I was moving in when we were down to 27, so I feel he really wants to call, but he’s so ridiculously tight. I have T6o, but move in and take the blinds after enduring a stare down from Luca for at least a minute. Early in the tournament I would wear my hat tilted way down so that my opponents couldn’t see my eyes during a hand if I didn’t want them to. Once I got into all in mode the day before I would leave my hat tilted up and didn’t have a problem looking my opponent in the eyes when he was contemplating. I didn’t feel I was giving anything away since my mentality was that once my chips were in the middle it was out of my hands. I think I was able to exude more confidence this way too.

I fold for a round, and people are getting knocked out quickly, I don’t remember what we’re down to, but probably 15. Next round, on Luca’s blind again, I pick up AA and pray he’s finally going to make a stand. Unfortunately he folds very quickly this time and I show my hand.

I think its one round later and I get TT in MP and push for 70K. Schaefer quickly calls right behind me (3 seat is out). I really really want to see 88 or 99, but I’m worried that it’s AK, AQ. From the speed of his call, I’m pretty sure it is one of these four hands. He has AK but I win the toss.

I’m now breathing with around 150K, but of course the blinds go up to 7500-15000. Somehow we’re already down to 10 so we redraw and combine into one table. I draw the 9 seat, with Luca directly on my left, and Mark (really tight guy from day before who I had on my left and kept pushing on) on his left. ZeeJustin is on my right, this is the first time we’ve been at the same table. The Camel is to his right. Schaefer is over in, I think, the 4 seat.

We play a round and on my BB if folds to The Camel. He immediately pushes for around 150K (he has me covered by 2Kish) after looking at his cards. Before looking at my cards I know he could move in here with almost any two. I look down at AJo, and immediately know I’m calling. I think about it for a second, once again realize I might be out on this hand, smile to myself, and call. He has 77, which is way better than I was expecting. I thought he was going to turn over 9T or Q8 or something along those lines. The flop has a J and I double up. I stand up, relieved, go over to the rail to my buddy Steve (Ackbleh, also from Seattle). At this point he comes up with the name “Coin Toss Carl”, and I love it.

All of a sudden I have a reasonable stack and am no longer in all-in mode. I open a couple pots and take down the blinds. I finally have a big enough stack to experience what Schaefer keeps telling me about.

I open 69o in EP on tight, but big stacked guy. I like this spot because of who the BB is, my position (more respect), and Schaefer is in the SB, meaning there is less of a chance of him coming over the top (Schaefer being one of the more aggressive players who knows I’m capable of opening in EP with a wide range during this stage). Or so I thought. Folds to Schaefer, who reraises 100K. I kind of smile at him, like “Ok, so we’re holding nothing back.” I have to pretend for a second before folding and Schaefer tells me he had JJ. Later he tells me he had AJ.

Small stacks keep sucking out while we’re at 9, TV table is final 8. ZeeJustin had an interesting hand at this point, but he doesn’t like to talk about it, haha.

After ZeeJustin gets crippled he folds a bunch, and when it gets around to his BB, he says, “Just so you guys know, I have to call here with any two, so feel free to fold.” It folds around to the SB who has right around what Justin has (two smallest stacks). For some reason he didn’t believe Justin and pushes with Q5o. Justin happily calls with A8d. The best hand holds up and we’ve made the TV table.

I end the day with 350K, and blinds are getting dropped back down to 5-10K to allow some play for TV.

colson10

nolanfan34
02-25-2005, 01:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I end the day with 350K, and blinds are getting dropped back down to 5-10K to allow some play for TV.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is very interesting. Can't say I've heard of a tournament dropping the blinds back down, but I guess it sort of makes sense.

BK_
02-25-2005, 04:48 PM
really great posts so far

colson10
02-25-2005, 05:15 PM
Day 4: TV Final Table

Finally we get to the good stuff. My most interesting hands and decisions of the tournament came at the final table. I feel I’ve played a good tournament, but I know I’m very fortunate to have made it this far. I find it funny that while I’m grinding it out at 10-20 and 15-30 limit tables there are many of my friends and family who wouldn’t believe that I’m actually good at this game. And I realize that getting ridiculously lucky and making a final table of a major tournament all of sudden legitimizes my skill in some of those people’s minds.

The previous night was sort of interesting in that for the first time all tournament Schaefer and I didn’t talk much strategy (we were rooming together, btw). Not that I had a plan all laid out or anything, but I didn’t want to give away any ideas of how I was going to play. Unfortunately, he already knows exactly how I play and will likely be able to use his chip position the best against a stack like mine.

Seat 1--Mark Ristine, USA--251,000 (PokerStars online qualifier)
Seat 2--Peter Eichhardt, Sweden--202,000(PokerStars online qualifier)
Seat 3--Jeremy Tuckman, England--372,000
Seat 4--Brandon Schaefer, USA--691,000 (PokerStars online FPP qualifier)
Seat 5--Bob Coombes, England--163,000
Seat 6--Justin Bonomo, USA--124,000 (PokerStars online qualifier)
Seat 7--Carl Olson, USA--349,000(PokerStars online qualifier)
Seat 8--Luca Pagano, Italy--316,000

Being in 3rd chip position, I have too many chips to risk against Schaefer in the early going, and I know he knows this.

I start to get a bit nervous in the hour or two before we start. We have to do interviews where we get asked stupid questions like “Why do you love poker?” and “Why are you good at poker?”

I’m glad to have the interview done and start to feel anxious, wanting to just get it going. It’s that light butterfly feeling that I used to get before soccer games. A feeling I treasured as a soccer player, and knew I didn’t play as well when I didn’t have the feeling before a game.

Someone asks what my strategy is going to be. I say “get my chips in as a dog and suck out.”

Within 30 min of starting play Justin says, “I really haven’t played with most of these guys much, what do you know about them?” I immediately think about how I have Luca and Mark on my left, and that I know they are super tight. I realize if I tell this information to Justin, being on my right, he will get to open before me on their blinds. And even though Justin is a very nice guy, I have to realize in this situation he is my opponent. I’m playing to make as much money as possible, not to make friends. I tell Justin, “I think I’d rather not tell you” (sorry Justin, but I’m sure you understand).

I start to think about how I haven’t played any real poker in a day and a half. I’ve been in all-in mode for so long (except a short while at the end of the previous day) that I’m not sure if I’ll remember how to play postflop. I have to tell myself that this is what I do. I play poker. I’m probably better at poker than anything else in my life. I have to trust myself.

We finally get seated and deal the cards. I have the BB to start out. Mark opens UTG+1, folds to Justin who thinks for a minute and finally folds, I muck my trash. Justin later tells me he had 66, and probably would have pushed if it wasn’t the first hand of the tournament. I think about how bad of shape he was probably in with Mark opening in that position, and how quickly he would have mucked if I told him how tight Mark was half an hour earlier when he asked about the players.

Second hand, folds to Bob in the CO who opens for 30K (5-10K), I make it 100K in SB with AK spades. Now Luca immediately looks over my stack and asks me to count. Uh oh. I start to count but the announcer tells him I have him covered (this is the second hand Luca) Luca has a little over 300K and pushes all in. Bob folds, and it’s on me. I really don’t like this situation, but I don’t think I was ever really going to fold. I thought it through and didn’t think he could fold JJ or even TT in this spot, especially since Bob opened in the CO. I haven’t seen Luca show down a hand worse than QQ yet, but I’m also getting 2.5 to 1. I call, and he has QQ. We shake hands before a flop of two spades and a K on the turn. Coin Toss Carl.

I’m shaking now, ecstatic, already envisioning how Schaefer and I are going to run over the table and play HU.

A few hands later I open in MP with 65d, Schaefer’s BB. SB and Schaefer call. Flop is T75, two diamonds. SB checks, Schaefer leads out 40K, I make it 200K, they both fold.

Peter is out in 7th after being crippled with QQ vs Justin’s AA. It was the third time in a row that Justin opened, awesome time to pick of AA, but didn’t matter with Peter holding QQ. I have much respect for Justin’s play and am not happy about him building a stack.

I take down some blinds, Justin doubles up Jeremy who was pretty short at the time, Schaefer then almost doubles up Justin without even getting to a showdown. This was the hand where he just didn’t know the stack sizes. Justin is healthy again.

Justin opens on the button to 48K (blinds 8-16K). I make it 200K in the SB with AKo, Justin folds. He later told me he had KQ here. I was very happy to take it right there. Being out of position I wanted to get it all in preflop or just take it down then.

Jeremy knocks Bob out in 6th with AK vs AQ.

Mark knocks Jeremy out in 5th.

4 handed, Schaefer opens UTG to 45K (8-16K), Justin calls on the button, I make it 200K in the BB with KK. Schaefer doesn’t hesitate in pushing for, I think, a little over 400K total. Justin says, “I was going to do that” and folds. I happily call, hoping he shows me a medium pair. He has AQc. Flop has an ace, and I lose a lot of chips. This puts me down to maybe 450K.

It was similar to my KK on the first day. I think about how I “should have” almost 1.5 million and win the tournament easily. I feel sick. I can’t even look at Schaefer. Honestly, at that moment, I’m not happy for my friend, I’m pissed.

I really want a break to gather my head, but don’t get the chance. I think about how fortunate I’ve been to get this far and realize I’m bound to get unlucky at some point. I think about trying to play my best.

The next hand Justin raises UTG to 48K, right behind him on the button I look down at ATo. I think about how horrible of a hand it is to see right now. Its one of those hands that’s tricky to play, too big to fold 4 handed, and easily the kind of hand I can misplay if I’m tilting after the KK hand. I can’t reraise and commit myself with ATo preflop. I call, and we take a flop HU. A96, two hearts. Justin leads out 75K. I’m now committed to my hand. A reraise all in is about the pot, so I push. It’s one of those spots where I’m pretty sure I have the best hand and will only get called by better hands and make hands with very few outs fold. I decide that the pot is big enough to take down right now, and would hate to allow him to hit a gutshot or a two outer. He folds.

The second hand in a row that Mark opens I have the BB and see A3o. I call. Flop is T64r. I kind of look at my chips and look back at the board and check. Mark checks through. Turn is 9o. I bet 60K, Mark calls pretty quickly. River is 2. Mark and I both had maybe 550K to start the hand. I know Mark is weak here. I think I might have the best hand with him holding something like QJ, KJ, KQ. I also think there’s a small possibility of him having a low pocket pair. He could also have a bigger ace, or a pair of 9’s. I feel I need to bet here in order to possibly make better hands fold and to keep myself from getting bluffed if I do in fact have the best hand. The problem is that my stack is pretty short and I would hate lose a big chunk on a bluff. I decide to try to make a bet that looks like I want a call. I bet 120K. As soon as I put it out there I have the feeling my thought process is completely transparent. I look at Mark, then at the camera next to him focused on me, and almost lose it. I almost break down and blurt out that I’m bluffing (well not really, but you get the idea). Mark eventually folds what he later told me to be AQ. Everyone who saw this hand in the audience that I talked to thought I was bluffing, it really was that obvious. Mark told me that he thought it looked really weird but had a lot of respect for my play and didn’t think I would be that obvious with a bluff in that spot. Somehow it worked out, and I started to feel confident again.

Later talking to my buddy Steve, he said he was really worried that I was on super tilt during these two hands after the KK.

Blinds are up to 10-20K, I have almost 600K, Schaefer is over 1million, Mark has around 500K, Justin is under 200K.

Schaefer makes it 45K UTG, Justin moves all in for 165K. I have AQo in the SB. It’s a close decision for me. Schaefer can have any two cards here and Justin knows that, making his range really wide too. Justin has the size of stack that he needs to do something soon or he’s going to lose his folding equity. I convince myself that his range includes any pair, any ace, possibly medium kings and even medium suited connectors. I decide to call (planning on folding to an all in from Schaefer), thinking Schaefer is folding here a large percentage of the time. Schaefer calls. We check it down and Schaefer’s TT holds up against two AQ’s. Justin is gone in 4th, a great showing for coming in to the final table as the shortest stack.

I’m down to 400K. Schaefer raises on the button 3 handed to 50K. I push with 66 (I think, I can’t remember for sure) from the SB. Schaefer shows an ace and folds.

I raise to 60K on the button, Schaefer makes it 150K in the BB. I have Axo and think about pushing. I start to think about the jump in money from 3rd to 2nd. I decide to find a better spot and just fold preflop. I forget what Schaefer had here, I think he told me, and I remember it being a pretty big hand that he was definitely calling with.

Mark makes it 50K on the button, I call in the BB with K7. Flop is 753r. I check, Mark bets 100K, I pretty quickly c/r all in. Mark folds.

I fold my button, Mark makes it 50K in the SB, Schaefer calls. Flop is QJ4, Mark checks and Schaefer bets 50K, Mark min raises to 100K, Schaefer calls. Turn is 4, check check. River 8, Mark goes all in and Schaefer immediately calls. He called so quickly I knew Mark was gone. Mark had KK, Schaefer QQ.

HU, Schaefer has a 4-1 chip lead with about 2 million to my 500K. We take a dinner break.

colson10

Algasm
02-25-2005, 05:54 PM
Hot Carl,
These posts are incredible. Congrats on the tourney.

Sluss
02-25-2005, 06:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That is very interesting. Can't say I've heard of a tournament dropping the blinds back down, but I guess it sort of makes sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

They did it to Chris Hinchcliffe (sp?) at the Party Poker Million last season on the WPT.

nolanfan34
02-25-2005, 06:29 PM
Dude, you really need to post more. I love reading your thought process in these, well written and well thought out.

I really liked how you wrote this line:

[ QUOTE ]
Schaefer then almost doubles up Justin without even getting to a showdown.

[/ QUOTE ]

Translated: Schaefer made this horrendous, boneheaded play. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

young nut
02-25-2005, 06:49 PM
wow, what a quality thread this is. Its nice to have a very well thought out and educating thread to read from time to time. thanks very much for this report and congrats on the finish.

colson10
02-25-2005, 10:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
maybe the asian guy at your table you are talking about is Willie Tan

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, it was a younger guy, never caught his name.

Yeah, it was nice to meet you guys. Are you going for Vienna or Monte Carlo?

mowine
02-26-2005, 12:00 PM
Incredible summary. Can't wait for the heads up action.

PrayingMantis
02-26-2005, 01:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Are you going for Vienna or Monte Carlo?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've already qualified for Monte-Carlo, And I'm trying to qualify for Vienna today.

So in any case I'll see you again in Monte-Carlo. Again, great report, and I'm waiting to read the HU summary (I've watched it from the audience).

BTW, you were talking about how tight was Luca Pagano. He was sitting close to me at the audience, and I overheard him talking to someone a bit. You were right about him not liking your pushing all-in during certain parts of the game, especially since you were the one who also busted him...

As a side note, with regard to ZJ's hand (the one he doesn't like talking about, as you say), considering Luca's super-tight game which you describe here, I wonder if ZJ's call to Luca's push was justified by the pot-odds, even if ZJ was getting a very nice price. Anyway, it was an interesting hand.

colson10
02-26-2005, 07:01 PM
HU against Schaefer

So here we are, Schaefer and I, long time friends, HU for a major tournament title. Oh yeah, and about 80K. First place is 144,000 euros (~185,000 USD) and second is 80,000 euros (~105,000 USD).

We take a dinner break before beginning HU play. Schaefer has a 4-1 chip lead, 2million to 500K. We still have some time left at the 10-20K blind level, going up to 15-30K after that.

I’m not hungry. I’m glad to have a break, but we get almost an hour and a half, which feels too long. I’m almost sure I’m not going to win the tournament. I’ve already won $100,000 and I don’t feel content.

I’m still not done thinking about the KK hand. I have a bad feeling that it will be the hand that defines my tournament. The hand I will always think about when I look back on the tournament, even years later. I will always think about how if my KK held up I would have gone on to win 80K more and have the glory of winning the tournament. Instead, I’m going to have to watch my good friend take the money and the glory. WTF, I’m still going to win 100K! Can’t I be okay with that?

Schaefer and I had joked with each other before the tournament started about how once we get HU we’ll just chop it. We saw the pay out break down, 32% for 1st, 17% for second. I said, “you realize 49% of the prizepool is ours?” It was just a dream that neither of us really believed would ever happen. It’s one of those conversations I image many friends have.

Once the situation became reality I didn’t expect Schaefer to chop straight up. It’s too much money for him to just “give” to me. If I was in his shoes I don’t think I would have either. Schaefer later told me he felt bad for not just chopping it even at this point, and I told him I didn’t blame him one bit.

I asked him if he wanted to make some sort of deal. He said, “Sure”, but I could tell he wasn’t too stoked about it. I suggested we adjust the prizes so we’re not playing for such a ridiculous amount. He asks, “Like what?” I say, “Maybe 95-100K for second.” I’m suggesting this feeling that it’s a better deal for me. It’s a really difficult and awkward situation, having to deal with this much money with a friend. He doesn’t think long in declining the offer, saying “I think I’d rather just play it out.” I say, “Okay.” I obviously don’t want to look desperate to make a deal, as Daniel Negreanu’s article about his tournament against Eskimo Clark comes to mind. Schaefer then says that if I double up or get it close to even that we’ll chop it straight up. I acknowledge that I like that idea.

I run into Noah, who tells me it was a bad call against Luca with AKs. He says Luca will only have AA, KK, or QQ in that spot. Someone mentions how QQ is just as likely as AA and KK combined because of my cards. I try to say something about how Bob opened in the CO and how I didn’t think Luca could fold JJ there. Noah is not convinced. He’s a very confident guy in his poker knowledge and is not easily convinced of being wrong. Plus, I think, Luca is a friend of his.

Noah then asks me what the chip count is. He says it isn’t that bad. He asks me about my HU experience, of which I have very little. He then says something along the lines of, “Just don’t get frustrated and call all in with something like 33.” It was such simple advice that it took me a couple of minutes to appreciate it. It really was something I needed to hear.

I find Mark, the head of marketing or something for Pokerstars. It’s kind of nice how the head honchos have the time for you when you make it far. I ask him if the rumor is true that stars is giving away two Monte Carlo packages for this tournament. We’ve heard that they have 10 packages to give away for 6 events, so some events have 2. The last we’ve heard is that there is only one package for this tournament. Mark says he’s not sure but he’ll go find out right now. He comes back 5 min later and has the fantastic news that Schaefer and I will both be going to Monte Carlo.

Schaefer and I share a moment of excitement about the Monte Carlo packages. We are within minutes of starting play. We have to do a little interview with the EPT version of Shana Hiatt, and make our way to our seats.

It’s quite surreal sitting at the table with only the dealer and Schaefer. This is the one player in the world who I know better than anyone, except for myself. I know exactly how he thinks, and of course, he knows exactly how I think. We play very similarly. Schaefer and I have learned to play together, we’ve evolved as poker players almost identically. He’s the person who I’ve been lucky enough to have while learning the game who I talk to about everything related to poker. We’re friends without poker, but our relationship grew from a mutual passion for the game. When we go out with a group of friends, we often find ourselves locked into our own conversation about this stupid game, leaving our other friends lost.

The devastation of the KK leaves for a moment and I’m able to appreciate how utterly incredible this situation is.

Blinds start at 10-20K, the button has the SB getting to act first preflop and second post.

Schaefer has the button to start out and makes it 50K. I call, I don’t remember my cards. Flop is A92. I check, Schaefer bets 60K, I make it 160K and he folds. Okay, this is good.

Next hand I make it 60K on the button and Schaefer goes allin. I don’t remember my hand, but it was trash. I fold

Hand #3. Schaefer makes it 50K, I call with K5 hearts. Flop is A82, one heart. Check check. Turn is 2h, giving me a flush draw. I check, Schaefer bets 60K. I consider check raising, but decide 60K is a good price to try to hit my flush. His check on the flop possibly means an ace, and if I can hit my flush he’ll definitely pay me off 150-200K, maybe even double me up. And if I check raise all in and he has an ace, I get called and am in bad shape. I call. The river blanks off 4o. I check, hoping Schaefer checks it down and my K high is good. Schaefer immediately asks me how much I have, it’s a little over 400K. Schaefer bets 250K.

It feels like a bluff. It’s a big bet, about the pot. I think it’s a bluff but look back at my hand and don’t think I can call with K high. It’s a bluff or a slow played big ace. I realize that I can take my time and no one is going to bother me about it. I think about how amazing of a call it would be if I have the best hand. I think about how stupid I’ll look if he has an ace. I think about what Noah said. Once again, I realize that I only have K5, and can’t call. I almost go to muck my cards, but decide to go through the hand once more in my head from the start. I somehow find myself imagining it months later at my friend Jake D’s house watching the tape with my group of good friends. I imagine the EPT version of Mike Sexton saying, “He smells something fishy, but just can’t make the call with K high.” My friend Zack then asks me how I can even be contemplating a call in this spot. I tell him how since I just check raised Schaefer two hands earlier on an ace high flop that if he did indeed have an ace this time he would probably bet the flop in order to give me the chance to do it again. He would also probably bet any other pair in order to protect his hand. Imagining talking to my friend gets me on the right track of actually reasoning my way through the hand instead of just “feeling that he’s bluffing”. I think about his turn bet, and decide that it could mean anything. But then I realize that he knows I don’t have an ace. I mean, HE KNOWS I DON’T HAVE AN ACE! I would not check the flop then check call the turn with an ace. Since he knows I don’t have an ace, he knows it’s going to be tough for me to call much of a bet on the river with any sort of pair. I think about how he would play the river if he had an ace, knowing I don’t have one. I decide he would bet 150K on the river with an ace. Remember, I know almost exactly how Schaefer plays. All of a sudden I’m really thinking about calling. It’s important to note that every once in a while my thought process is interrupted by the realization that I’m the center of attention at the moment and being filmed. I’m about to call but it hits me that he might be bluffing with the best hand. He could be betting a better king trying to move me off a small pair. I decide that he perceives me as being extremely weak and would happily check through thinking he has the best hand if he had a better king. I push 250K out.

“Carl calls 250 thousand” the announcer says. I’m waiting for Schaefer to flip over his ace so that I can look like an idiot having thought for over 5 minutes before calling with K high, only to have Schaefer holding the obvious ace. Schaefer kind of looks at me shrugging his shoulders as he takes the chip off his cards. He holds them out face down, ready to muck. I decide to just turn mine over, knowing there is still the possibility of him having a better king, but thinking it’s no good. I turn over K5. “Carl has K5, for…K high” says the announcer, looking for my pair. Schaefer looks at me, like “WTF!!!!” His cards go into the muck and I stand up quickly. I walk around my chair. I want a break to appreciate how amazing this hand was for me. I want to go over to Steve and tell him my thought process, and how I worked my way through the hand. I’m extremely proud. I realize it will be shown on TV, and I’m even more proud. This is the hand that will define my tournament, not the KK hand. This was the highlight of my poker career.

Before I know it, the next hand is dealt. I quickly sit back down. We trade small pots.

I open KJo on the button for 60K. Schaefer calls. Flop is AT9 (blog had this wrong). Schaefer checks and I bet 75K, Schaefer calls. Turn is K. Schaefer checks, and I check behind. River is J. Schaefer checks in a way that makes it obvious that he doesn’t have a Q. I bet 100K hoping to get a curious call from a single pair. Schaefer folds, and we’re almost even in chips.

I say quietly, “We can talk any time you want to.” Schaefer says, “Huh”. I say it again and he still doesn’t hear me. I don’t want to make it obvious that I’m suggesting we chop since I’m pretty sure the officials would disapprove of it, but I don’t have a problem walking away from the table and making everyone wait while we have a conversation. The dealer repeats what I said to Schaefer, and he nods, “Yeah”. I say, “Okay. So we’re doing this, right?” “Yeah.”

I now realize the K5 hand won me $40,000.

I’m supremely confident now, and Schaefer has to be rattled. I all of a sudden regret chopping, thinking I should have just owned him all the way for 80K. I realize this is a ridiculous thought and anything can still happen.

Schaefer makes it 60K, I call with QT. Flop is AQ5r. I check, Schaefer bets 80K and I call. Turn is 7, I check, he checks. River is T, I check, hoping to induce a bluff, but he checks through.

I take two small pots and am slightly in the chip lead. Pokerstars officials are getting upset that their FPP star may not end up winning.

Schaefer makes it 60K, I make it 160K with 44, Schaefer calls. Flop is K87, two clubs. I bet 150K, Brandon moves in for a huge amount. I say, “It’s probably the best hand, but I can’t call.”

I make it 60K with king something. A66, check check. I bet 100K on the turn, another A. River is another 6, we check it down and chop. Schaefer had QT.

Blinds are up to 15-30K.

Schaefer makes it 90K, I call with T8d. Flop is JT2, two spades, one club. I check, Schaefer bets 90K, I call. Turn is 8c. I bet out 240K with my two pair. Schaefer asks me how much I have left, and decides to call. I’m almost sure I was calling an all in on the turn. River is Kc. I check hoping he checks through, but he immediately goes all in. It’s a really tough spot for me. I felt like I had the best hand on the turn, and if he completed his flush I thought he wouldn’t move in so quickly, but make it look like he was contemplating a bluff, especially since it’s such a great card to bluff. I go into deep thought again, thinking about how I may as well just call since the money is already decided, and I was going to call on the turn. I realize this is a bad reason to call, and decide to take my time.

I have 450K left, the pot is like 1.3 million with his 450 to match mine.

I go back to the flop. His bet was purely automatic here, and I didn’t pick anything up. The turn, now there are a ton of draws out there, and I lead out. I feel Schaefer could likely read me to be weak here, and I think about how he asked me for my chip count. I remember him looking confident. I think about how he would play Q9 on the turn. I think he might just call, not wanting to blow me off a bluff. The more I think about Q9, it makes sense to me. I’m pretty sure he’d check down any single pair or two pair, since it’s hard for me to fold anything with the pot being so big and such an obvious bluffing card coming. I’m starting to feel pretty sure I’m beat, and specifically by Q9. I think through some other hands, but they don’t make sense. I fold.

Schaefer says something and I can tell he didn’t like me folding there. “It was a good fold though” he says. “Yeah?” I ask. He says, “Yeah, what did you have?” When I tell him two pair he looks at me shocked, “What?” I ask him if he had Q9 and he says, “No, a set of jacks.” So I misread his hand, but I read him right for just calling on the turn not wanting to blow me off a bluff. I’m pretty sure Schaefer feels he misplayed this hand. He really should have pushed it on the turn with all the draws out there. He later said his mind just wasn’t right after the K high call.

The very next hand I raise with 99, Schaefer pushes with K8, I automatically call and double up. Back to around 900K.

A few small pots are exchanged.

I open with red QT for 90K, Schaefer calls. Flop is T65 all diamonds, giving me top pair and third nut flush draw. I almost looked back at my hand to make sure of the diamond, but vividly remembered both being red. I was relieved I didn’t have to look back and give away any info. Schaefer bets out 90K and I smell something. I’m not sure what it is exactly, but I feel Schaefer’s got a big one here. Usually this would be the type of hand I would want to push hard with on the flop, since I’m probably ahead and if not I likely have a lot of outs. I obviously can’t fold, so I decide to just call down, unless I improve. Turn is a black 7. He bets out 200K, I call. River is 9o. He checks and I check behind pretty quickly. He has AT (not the ace of diamonds). I lose another sizeable pot, but I’m happy with how well I’m playing. I’m making great decisions, but unfortunately I’m getting dealt some cards that I have to lose some chips with. In my mind, this was the second hand that I should have gone broke with. It feels good to still be alive.

We trade a couple.

Schaefer makes it 90K, I call with T9o. Flop is KJ4. I check, Schaefer bets 100K. Something is very familiar here. I take a minute and recognize the intonation of his voice as being dead on the same as a hand the day before where he later told me he was bluffing. I check raise all in and he folds.

Schaefer raises to 90K, I call with 34 of hearts. I bet out 120K on a flop of 763, two hearts. I’m hoping he’ll read it as weakness and raise another 2 or 300K and I’ll be able to move in over the top. Instead, he moves all in. I know I have a monster here and was in another situation where folding wasn’t really possible, but I took a minute in deciding. I looked over the board and at my hand again to make sure I wasn’t misreading what I had. I counted my outs against a pair, counted them against a set (didn’t really put him on it), figured out where I stood against a bigger flush draw, and even counted the pot for some reason. I had to call off a lot of chips, which I really didn’t like doing when I felt like I was reading Schaefer so well. But it would obviously be foolish to fold “the best hand”. I call. Schaefer has T7 and dodges 17 outs twice. I come in second, but feel really good about how I played.

We do the post interview and Schaefer says he was outplayed. I have to pretend for the TV that we didn’t chop, saying something like, “It’s disappointing, but still a lot of money.”

Steve is relieved when he finds out we chopped. I’m disappointed in not winning, but am really pleased that I was able to get it back to even so that we could split the money. It really was the best scenario for two friends playing for that much money.

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone (or almost everyone) who posts in this forum. Learning from you all made this great experience possible. I don’t want to name names, since I may leave someone off, except that I do want to acknowledge Mr. Greg “Fossilman” Raymer. I learned a ton from him when he used to post in this forum regularly. He was one of those posters who I felt I learned something from every time I read a post of his. I would often think, “Why is this guy not winning major tournaments?” Haha. So thank you, Fossilman, and I’ll see you in Monte Carlo!

colson10

Shilly
02-26-2005, 07:20 PM
Great report. Good luck in Monte Carlo!

BK_
02-26-2005, 07:27 PM
you should repost all of these in the general texas holdem forum or the wpt one

BK_
02-26-2005, 07:37 PM
wow that king high hand is a great read.

tipperdog
02-26-2005, 07:41 PM
Joining the chorus of "Thanks for a fantastic series of posts and congratulations on a tremendous accomplishment."

Chief911
02-26-2005, 07:48 PM
Hey,

Thanks for an awesome thread. Thought process was really fun to read about. One of the best threads I've read in months. Thanks again. Posts like yours take hours to write. Thanks for sharing.

Nick

Schaefer
02-26-2005, 08:10 PM
Nice work Carl,

I've sat down 3 different times to try and finish up my running commentary and I honestly can't remember more than 1 or 3 hands. It's really weird but I played like crap the first hour, sleepwalking through, settled down the second hour and accumulated that big chiplead, then got called by King frikkin 5 and absolutely blacked out. I really don't remember my thought process at all during the last portion of the heads up. I remember you asking if I wanted to chop it and being so relieved for that chance. I was reeling hard and couldn't believe that you still wanted to go through with it.

I hate you for the 2-pair vs set hand. I remember thinking that I could push really quick on the river and make it look like a bluff. That's all I really remember.

I think I was playing straight up level 1 poker and it sucked. Maybe even level 1/2 poker. Man did it suck.

That's the beauty of poker though. It gives the fish a chance to get lucky. Then hopefully the fish learn from their mistakes and improve so that they don't have to get lucky next time.

Honestly, the play of Carl and Justin impressed me more than anything in this tournament. I think they play near-flawless poker and they deserve all the credit in the world. You'll get your chance for revenge once we're heads up in Monte Carlo. I can't wait.

Schaefer

Lurker4
02-26-2005, 08:53 PM
Awesome post and thread. I especially loved these lines:
[ QUOTE ]
Schaefer and I had joked with each other before the tournament started about how once we get HU we’ll just chop it. We saw the pay out break down, 32% for 1st, 17% for second. I said, “you realize 49% of the prizepool is ours?” It was just a dream that neither of us really believed would ever happen. It’s one of those conversations I image many friends have.

[/ QUOTE ]

The paragraph on K5 is one of the best thought processes I've read on 2+2. One question, why would the Stars officials care about whether you or Schaefer won? didn't you both qualify through PS?

Schaefer
02-26-2005, 09:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
didn't you both qualify through PS?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but Carl was a cash qualifier, I was FPP. I guess I was the first FPP qualifier ever to make the final table and the whole $0 investment angle made them wet at Poker Stars. Cash qualifiers are old news. I AM CINDERELLA.