PDA

View Full Version : latest update on inalienable rights

brad
09-11-2002, 05:02 AM
http://www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/wire/sns-ap-sept-11-legal-rights-glance0905sep05.story

MMMMMM
09-11-2002, 09:55 AM
Some of those changes are deeply disturbing in the potential for future abuse; others much less so.

Jimbo
09-11-2002, 11:06 AM
They all seem pretty reasonable to me. Of course the author took a little poetic license here;
FREEDOM OF INFORMATION:..... and has encouraged bureaucrats to resist public records requests. Looks to me like a little supposition on his/her part.

Jimbo

brad
09-11-2002, 11:48 PM
'and has encouraged bureaucrats to resist public records requests.'

ashcroft publicly orderered all agencies to resist freedom of information act requests (for example, citing national security) and that dept. of justice would back them up.

this was in the newspapers. this article is basically just a summary of a bunch of articles.

its pretty disturbing that you think its no big deal; remember fdr's promise that social security numbers would never be used to identification purposes? just think what will happen if god forbid hillary cons her way into the white house.

brad

Jimbo
09-12-2002, 11:21 AM
Brad,

What should be disturbing to you is a bunch of "potential terrorists" running around plotting another evil act against innocent civillians. Not that someone may read your e-mail, be able to identify you as a patriotic American citizen or slow down your ability to discover what your local school board is doing behind closed doors to protect our schoolchildren.

If Ms. Hillary is ever in the Whitehouse again other than on a public tour or as an invited guest it will be a sad day for this country. As for FDR he was rolling over in his grave on 9/11/02.

Jimbo

MMMMMM
09-12-2002, 11:44 AM
excerpt
"* RIGHT TO A SPEEDY AND PUBLIC TRIAL: Government may jail Americans indefinitely without a trial.

* RIGHT TO LIBERTY: Americans may be jailed without being charged or being able to confront witnesses against them."
end excerpt

I think these are the two most disturbing developments listed in the article. Right now we are indeed fighting terror and I presume that the government is not widely abusing these powers, but who knows what may happen in the future? Doesn't the US Constitution protect our citizens' the right to liberty, and require "due process of law" before depriving someone of their liberty?
If the US sees fit to temporarily jail foreigners who are suspected terrorists during an investigation, or to simply boot them out of the country, I think that is a lot less Gestapo-like than the government being able to indefinitely jail American citizens without ever bringing charges.

brad
09-12-2002, 11:49 AM
you realize its confirmed that fdr left american citizens in the philipines to be tortured and killed by the japanese.

i wouldnt idolize him too much.

brad

Jimbo
09-12-2002, 04:24 PM
Brad said,

"you realize its confirmed that fdr left american citizens in the philipines to be tortured and killed by the japanese." Not disputing your statement Brad but confirmed by whom?

Jimbo

brad
09-12-2002, 06:40 PM
by confirmed i meant it appeared in the associated press (pretty much all newspapers) and so its a regular mainstream item, as opposed to say rumors about the USS Liberty before that story came out.

i guess i should have said that its now an acknowledged historical incident.

brad