PDA

View Full Version : Contradictory preflop advice in SSHE and HEPFAP (very long)

Aukai
02-24-2005, 05:14 PM
David/Mason/Ed/others,

First off, forgive me if this has been discussed before, a search was fruitless.

I've had SSHE as my bible for a long time, but didn't get around to reading HEPFAP until yesterday. As usual with 2+2 books, it was a solid read, and I will learn and earn much from it.

However, I found the section on loose play to contradict SSHE on preflop recommendations. For example, p. 161 of HEPFAP advises to limp AQo on the button after 4 limpers, as 1) "you give your hand away," 2) if the flop comes rags and it's checked to you, you can bet with what is probably the best hand, 3) if an ace or queen does flop, you may be bet into, allowing you to raise and better protect your hand, and 4) (from the razz example) by making the pot larger, you incidentally cause your opponents' poor play to become correct.

Then on 162: "In general, you should not raise with offsuit hands (other than AK), except if you have a chance to isolate a weak opponent."

Further down this page, "... in a weak game where many players are playing too many hands and going too far with their hands, if the player under the gun limps in and you have AdJh and there are several players still to act behind you, you should fold. In fact, even if you were the player under the gun, you should probably fold."

I find all these examples to contradict SSHE advice, which would be to raise all of these. On p.73 of SSHE on big offsuit broadways: "They commonly make a strong top pair. All offsuit hands are at an inherent disadvantage in a multiway pot, but these hands win often enough to play well against many weak limpers... Raise any of these hands if it has not already been raised." The footnote implies than AJo and KQo are exceptions after many limpers.

I've been playing the SSHE way, and most advice in these forums would follow this school of thought. It seems odd to me that such contradictory recommendations exist in books presented by the same authors (sans Miller for HEPFAP) to apply in the same games.

In my yet-incomplete understanding of the game, it seems to me that the differences lie in when to apply the fundamental theorem. That is, is it better to forego some expectation preflop if it allows your weak opponents to make more mistakes post, or is it better to amplify the cost of making their first mistake- playing an inferior hand- despite the prospect of making it correct for them to draw. Is this in the ballpark of accurate?

I'd be interested in hearing any discussion about these differences.

Sorry for the novella.

Raza
02-24-2005, 05:29 PM
bottom of pg 159 HPFAP

bottom of pg 10 SSH

Milky
02-24-2005, 05:32 PM
For those of us without easy access to our books, what is on those pages?

Because I also was wondering the same thing as the initial poster. I read SSH fist and am just now getting to HEPFAP and I see the contradictory advice as well.

Aukai
02-24-2005, 05:52 PM
Bottom of 159 HEPFAP: "There is a bit of a two-edged sword here. If you're playing against extremely terrible opponents, it's hard not to raise with pretty good hands because even if you're costing yourself money on the later streets, you're gaining so much before the flop because your hand is usually so much better than theirs."

Bottom of 10 of SSHE, anticipating just the comparison to HEPFAP I asked about(oops): "For some situations, we may advise you to do one thing here but another there. This represents neither a retraction of previous advice nor a contradiction. In HEPFAP, we assume that your opponents play reasonably well. In this book, we assume that many of your opponents play poorly: specifically, that they play too many hands and go too far with them." They go on to say that the preflop recommendations, while important, are not as crucial as postflop.

My problem is still this: on 152 of HEPFAP, on the games the section is written for; "It is not uncommon, even at the higher limits, to find many players who not only play too many hands, but go too far with their hands. These games, usually at the lower limits, are referred to as "no-fold 'em hold 'em."

So it seems that, contradictory to the bottom of 10 of SSHE, the games being discussed are indeed the same. Is the difference that in the SSHE games people go too far without thinking at all, while in HEPFAP games, people go too far but do so aware of things like odds and outs?

Regardless, I want to make this clear: the point of posting this is certainly not to nitpick the authors. I am trying to understand under what situations to adjust my strategy to maximize my expectation. For example, perhaps the SSHE recommendations are ideal for your average B&M play, but on the Party 3/6, given a higher proportion of thinking players, perhaps the HEPFAP recommendations might be better. Of course, all highly dependent on current game conditions, opponents' tendencies, etc.

While the preflop recommendations, per SSHE, may not be ultra-important, I'd like to fully understand the differences in theory, simply for the purposes of advancing my understanding of my game, and of having another adjustment to game situations available in my arsenal.

Raza
02-24-2005, 05:55 PM
you can check this recent thread:
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1777815&page=&view=&sb=5& o=&vc=1

johnnybeef
02-24-2005, 06:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My problem is still this: on 152 of HEPFAP, on the games the section is written for; "It is not uncommon, even at the higher limits, to find many players who not only play too many hands, but go too far with their hands. These games, usually at the lower limits, are referred to as "no-fold 'em hold 'em."

[/ QUOTE ]

ssh adresses games in which the aformentioned concept applies regardless of the limit. it just happens that most of these games are at the lower limits.

[ QUOTE ]
So it seems that, contradictory to the bottom of 10 of SSHE, the games being discussed are indeed the same. Is the difference that in the SSHE games people go too far without thinking at all, while in HEPFAP games, people go too far but do so aware of things like odds and outs?

[/ QUOTE ]

hpfap refers to games in which there are other good players in the game. ssh refers to a game in which almost all of your opponents continually make bad decisions.

Rudbaeck
02-24-2005, 07:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
hpfap refers to games in which there are other good players in the game. ssh refers to a game in which almost all of your opponents continually make bad decisions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, SSH is a bit wider in scope than one would think. It still seems the best even at a table with 4 TAGs, you, a couple of rocks, a maniac and a couple of calling stations. (Which from what I understand is still a pretty typical table at 30/60 live.) And it's the Party 3/6 poster table.