PDA

View Full Version : River Low flush with paired board

Inthacup
09-11-2002, 01:09 AM
Playing 2 4, 5 man table, table is considerably passive preflop, with a few players only raising with big pocket pairs. I have 7 8 spades utg. I limp, not fearing a raise, all limp to BB, who raises! All call.

Flop is 3s 6s Jh

I have 4 to flush with 3 different runner runner straits. BB bets, I think about raising, but don't have that much experience playing shorthanded, so I call, 1 person folds, rest call.

Turn is 8d. BB bets, I raise, all call to BB who reraises. At this point I put him on a set or a pocket pair bigger than J.

River is Js. Very interesting. Checked to me, I bet, call back around to BB, who checkraises! I'm really stuck here, and a read is really hard to figure. Big pocket pair is hard to imagine, with the top card pairing on the river. He could have JJ, but what has the other 2 players been calling with this whole time? JJ is so hard to see here, so AJ is the best I can figure. I'm so stunned by Check raise, I call, as do other 2 players.

Turns out BB had AA and did indeed overplay his rockets. 3rd player had J 9 for trips, and the 4th player had 10 7!! I don't know what reason he could possibly have to call 2 bets on river with a busted strait, but I took down 26.5 BB pot.

So many possible hands were going through my head with all of the other players cold calling 2 bets on turn, and calling river bet, call seemed like the right move. Does anyone 3 bet river with low flush here? I know in a ring game I would be MUCH more inclined to call, but is a raise in order here? Thanks for comments.

Mason Malmuth
09-11-2002, 03:21 PM
I think your results answers your question. You are in a spot where the raiser may or may not have you beat. But if you call, you are likely to be overcalled by hands that you can beat. Thus there is no question that you should call.

MM

J_V
09-12-2002, 02:25 AM
"I think your results answer your question"

-I'm no expert, but that sounds like results based analysis to me

Inthacup
09-13-2002, 03:08 AM
Given Mason's affinity for brevity, here's what I got from his response. With that board I very well may be beat, but even if I think that I have the best hand here, I should just call anyways, getting the 2 players behind me to call as well, instead of them folding to 2 more bets and having BB call. Thus making that play more profitable, saving money from the potential cap from a full house, and getting more $$ if I do have the best hand. Feel free to correct me here if I'm wrong, Mason(or do you prefer Mr. Malmuth, given we've never met?)

hutz
09-13-2002, 10:53 AM
This is exactly how I interpreted Mason's comments and it's how I would have played the hand. Getting two overcalls appears to be preferable to getting re-raised by a better hand.