PDA

View Full Version : Is this guy angle shooting...?

Texter
02-24-2005, 04:28 PM
We start a NLHE tourney with 15 players, blinds go up every 22 minutes. It eventually gets down to 3 handed and the blinds go up. The chip leader sets the timer...I look over a minute later and see the timer is at 14 minutes. Being the short stack, I ask him what's going on. He says, "since we're 3 handed, I figured we could speed it up a little"

So what would you do?

smoore
02-24-2005, 04:30 PM
I would respectfully disagree and ask that the timer be set correctly. Explain that it gives him too much of an advantage over you.

If I did that it would be an angle, he may just not realize what he's doing to you.

jojobinks
02-24-2005, 04:50 PM
give him the benefit of the doubt, and explain it calmly. i think you want to give him a chance to back down gracefully.

Fins
02-24-2005, 06:13 PM
Ask him wtf? w/o asking /images/graemlins/confused.gif I'd keep it at 22 min unless you're in hurry or want to shorten it. If he wants to speeds things up offer a chop.

It's in his favor but you'd have to make the angle shooting call.

- Fins

Stew
02-24-2005, 07:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
We start a NLHE tourney with 15 players, blinds go up every 22 minutes. It eventually gets down to 3 handed and the blinds go up. The chip leader sets the timer...I look over a minute later and see the timer is at 14 minutes. Being the short stack, I ask him what's going on. He says, "since we're 3 handed, I figured we could speed it up a little"

So what would you do?

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell him speed it up my ass and reset the fng timer to 22 minutes. He may not even be doing it on purpose, but if he is you will surely get resistance. Whose running this tourney and why aren't they putting a stop to it?

Accident
02-25-2005, 09:05 AM
At the tourney I play on wed nights the host does this routinely. Blinds go up if he's tall stacked, and never budge when he's short. If he busts out, they go up like clockwork! I eliminated that bullshit at my game by using Tournament Director on my laptop. "it's outta my control boyz the computer says blinds go UP!!" Beep, beep, beep, beep, 250/500. haha
Accident /images/graemlins/club.gif
...and yes it's angle shooting.

wingsfan
02-25-2005, 01:10 PM
How lame. Do people still play in his game when he so obviously adjusts the rules to suit him at the time? I would think you'd lose players in a hurry that way.

vai777
02-25-2005, 02:06 PM
Take the timer and smash him in the face with it. Its an unfair advantage for him and if he was a real player he wouldnt resort to that kind of tactic.

smoore
02-25-2005, 02:11 PM
I have an idea, Accident... next time he's short and the blinds stop stand up and say "ok, I'm done, lemme cash out!" Obviously he'll say something about it being a tournament or some such. Then you sit back down and growl, "Well, the f'in TIMER better start going again then!" You could also bring your laptop along /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Lottery Larry
02-25-2005, 02:43 PM
Do "real players" smash people in the face with timers over a disagreement?

You're scaring me

Lottery Larry
02-25-2005, 02:45 PM
It is a bit of an angle shoot. The number of players has nothing to do with the length of the rounds, so insist that they play out as scheduled and reset the timer to the proper amount of time.

Now, if you three want to make an exception and agree to shortening it, you can make that decision as you choose. The first time HE is a shorter stack and disagrees, will be the last time that anyone is allowed to make such an agreement.

Arsene Lupin III
02-25-2005, 05:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It is a bit of an angle shoot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it's an angle shot. I think it's worse, as he didn't tell the other two players that he changed the timer. He is a bad tournament director.

The correct procedure is to ask the other two players in the middle of the current level whether or not they would object to shortening the length of the remainder of the rounds.. with an explanation of why. Last night in our home tourney, it got down to 3-handed, paying all 3. I was the short stack and informed the other two players (I was also the TD) that, since they had mentioned that the stacks were deep and it was getting late, I would decrease the round length to 10 minutes after the current level if they did not object.

I busted that level and proceeded to deal the HU portion of the tourney while coloring up chips in the process to make cleanup easier. They shuffled for their buttons and we got in more than 1h per minute.

-adam

Accident
02-28-2005, 05:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have an idea, Accident... next time he's short and the blinds stop stand up and say "ok, I'm done, lemme cash out!" Obviously he'll say something about it being a tournament or some such. Then you sit back down and growl, "Well, the f'in TIMER better start going again then!" You could also bring your laptop along /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, great ideas, however:
1). I already gave him a copy of Tournament Director and he has a laptop, just wont use it.
2). The tourney is only $20 AND this guy is my phone conx to a number of other players that are pure dead money in my home game. These guys loses pay for my trips to vegas.
3)other players are already starting to complain after seeing how professionally my tourneys are run, so, I will let them deal with it.

Besides the fact that his game is on Wed night and I cant really stay late to win anyway. Just really there for the connections and to get the fish to my game Friday night. I also bust out early to get in the cash game if its happening or to just go home. Cash game is very loose and profitable, more so than the tourney. It's also good that I don't win the tourneys sometimes. More action later.
/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Accident /images/graemlins/club.gif