PDA

View Full Version : Betting with a flushdraw

Percussion
02-24-2005, 04:00 PM
What are your thoughts on betting on your flush draw, so you can give yourself the correct pot odds, and represent the aggressor?
I remember busting someone who i thought was on a flush draw simply because I bet mine, and he was on one as well. And when it hit, I checked it and he moved all in, thinking I was trying to defend top pair or the like.
Also, is it too obvious, simply because you cannot bet very large?

pryor15
02-24-2005, 04:28 PM
i bet it the same way i would bet top pair (assuming it's a good flush draw) and essentially treat it like a value bet. especially on limit games, if i flop a four flush, i bet that and usually check the turn if i don't hit it right there (depending, of course, on various factors). basically i'm improving my own pot odds and building it up for when i do hit, and with a flopped 4 flush you'll hit often enough that it's easily worth it. of course, if the board pairs, well, that's a different story.

PokrLikeItsProse
02-25-2005, 05:31 AM
It depends on the opponents. I am more likely to bet against weak opponents who will fold if they miss the flop. I am more likely to check and possibly check rise against aggressive opponents who are likely to bet whether or not they hit flop.

K C
02-25-2005, 06:17 AM
Often, you're reducing your pot odds by doing this. As a value bet, you're going to need the correct odds on the bet as well as the pot. As a rule of thumb, you want to be counting on at least 3 callers to make it work from that standpoint. And you have to watch what position you bet it from. Last is best of course. This also has the benefit of adding fold equity of course, as well as potentially getting a free card.

In limit particularly, this isn't a bad move if there are several callers and you have good position. If you need to manage your variance more though, then you're going to want to consider checking more, as betting draws increases variance of course.

KC
kingcobrapoker.com