PDA

View Full Version : What is the deal with Hotmail?

MelK
02-24-2005, 03:11 PM
What is going on with Hotmail recently?

For the past 3 weeks or so, during lunchtime and other peak times their servers are always too busy.

I mean this is every day, day in and day out, for three weeks. How completely incompetent can these guys be?

One of the biggest companies in the world can not fix this after 3 weeks?

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-24-2005, 03:14 PM
I have no such problems with my Hotmail accounts.

jakethebake
02-24-2005, 03:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What is the deal with Hotmail?

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought htis was gonna be a Seinfeld bit.

beerbandit
02-24-2005, 03:17 PM
i have had problems but nothing consistent like youre talking about

cheers

MelK
02-24-2005, 03:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have no such problems with my Hotmail accounts.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are lucky. Read this:

Hotmail outage peeves some e-mail users (http://news.com.com/Hotmail+outage+peeves+some+e-mail+users/2100-1038_3-5587906.html)

Microsoft is grappling with a Hotmail outage that's keeping some users of the e-mail service from using their accounts.

A faulty server is apparently the root of the problem, according to a Microsoft customer service representative who confirmed the outage on Wednesday. The representative declined to immediately discuss the nature of the problem, when it began, or how many of Hotmail's 187 million users are affected.

The outage has caused intermittent access to Hotmail accounts for some consumers over the last couple of weeks and, more alarmingly, appears to have erased new and saved messages from in-boxes, according to several people who contacted CNET News.com about the problem. It is also the latest in a string of ongoing customer complaints about the service.

Customers, especially paying ones, are starting to lose patience.

"For a company the size of Microsoft, which bills themselves as a progressive, consumer-friendly organization, they're really taking a long time to fix this," said Dwight Foster, a Hotmail subscriber in Orinda, Calif., who pays $20 a year for an account with extra storage. "I'm about to blow a gasket."

Angry Hotmail customers are bad news for Microsoft, which faces fierce competition from Google and Yahoo in the free e-mail services market. Google turned up the heat on its rivals last year when it launched a test version of Gmail, an e-mail service featuring 1 gigabyte of free storage. Microsoft and Yahoo have been rushing to catch up ever since.

Gmail has been a particular pain for Microsoft, according to a new study. When signing up for Gmail, more people switch from Hotmail than from any other competing service, according to Return Path, a company that makes tools to ease the transition from one e-mail program to another. About twice as many people abandoned Hotmail accounts than Yahoo ones in favor of Gmail in the last half of 2004, the study said.

E-mail is a key component in each company's growing stable of online properties that generate billions of dollars in annual advertising revenue

nolanfan34
02-24-2005, 03:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What is going on with Hotmail recently?

For the past 3 weeks or so, during lunchtime and other peak times their servers are always too busy.

I mean this is every day, day in and day out, for three weeks. How completely incompetent can these guys be?

One of the biggest companies in the world can not fix this after 3 weeks?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm having the exact same problem as mentioned in the article. Miracle upon miracle, I actually got a reply back from customer support - who said that there's no problem right now.

I really want to strangle someone.

And yes, I have Gmail too, but it's a pain to switch over all of my contacts, so I haven't done it yet.

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-24-2005, 03:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And yes, I have Gmail too, but it's a pain to switch over all of my contacts, so I haven't done it yet.

[/ QUOTE ]
I just registered my GMail account a couple minutes ago. I'm stiil a bit leery of it for whatever reason, though. Plus, there's the fact that they're coming off as thinking so much of themselves that you can't have an account until they deem you worthy of an invitation. I requested one before it was even launched and they just sent me an invite a week or two ago. It's a bit off-putting.

CORed
02-24-2005, 03:28 PM
Hotmail is owned by Microsoft. It is probably runnig on a Windows server. 'nuff said.

Shajen
02-24-2005, 03:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I just registered my GMail account a couple minutes ago. I'm stiil a bit leery of it for whatever reason, though. Plus, there's the fact that they're coming off as thinking so much of themselves that you can't have an account until they deem you worthy of an invitation. I requested one before it was even launched and they just sent me an invite a week or two ago. It's a bit off-putting.

[/ QUOTE ]
...but it's totally worth it. Gmail is the nuts. Should have asked me, I've got like 12 invitations I haven't handed out yet.

nolanfan34
02-24-2005, 03:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I requested one before it was even launched and they just sent me an invite a week or two ago. It's a bit off-putting.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it's off-putting, I think it shows foresight. They're making sure the damn thing works correctly before letting more people join up. They have complete control of how many users they allow, through the invites. Seems like genius to me.

I will say, the little bit that I've used it, it is pretty smooth. Grouping all of an e-mail chain into one link is so simple, yet helpful.

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-24-2005, 03:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Should have asked me, I've got like 12 invitations I haven't handed out yet.

[/ QUOTE ]
Meh. Thanks, but I really just registered my account to get my name before it got taken - my first choice was of course taken, but I got a relatively close second. My hotmail addy sucks and I would like a fresh start. I'm not all in a tissy to use GMail though, so I pretty much just wanted to reserve my account for if I wanted it in the future. It just seems a bit Big Brotherish to me, although I'm using freaking Microsoft right now, so how bad could it be, right?

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-24-2005, 03:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I requested one before it was even launched and they just sent me an invite a week or two ago. It's a bit off-putting.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it's off-putting, I think it shows foresight. They're making sure the damn thing works correctly before letting more people join up. They have complete control of how many users they allow, through the invites. Seems like genius to me.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I see this point and it's a good one, but it just comes off like the girl in My Super Sweet Sixteen giving out invitations to her birthday party.

Prof. Chaos
02-24-2005, 03:43 PM
stop using it, gmail rules. I have like 50 invites, PM me if you are interested.

mostsmooth
02-24-2005, 03:46 PM
somebody explain to me why gmail is so great?

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-24-2005, 03:52 PM
Can I use Outlook Express with GMail?

Shajen
02-24-2005, 03:53 PM
yeah, I think so. I don't remember specifically how, but google is your friend.

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-24-2005, 03:54 PM
That's not the reaction I was hoping for.

Prof. Chaos
02-24-2005, 03:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]you really shouldn't be using outlook express on your home PC.

would you like an invite to this exclusive club?

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-24-2005, 03:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]you really shouldn't be using outlook express on your home PC.

would you like an invite to this exclusive club?

[/ QUOTE ]
This is closer, but still not the freak-out I was hoping for. I actually would like to use Thunderbird - maybe I'll dick with it later. Thanks for the offer, but I don't need an invite - I've got an account already.

Shajen
02-24-2005, 03:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That's not the reaction I was hoping for.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I know. Sorry, I'm currently getting pwned in a SNG.

Must concentrate. (It's $5.50 after all)

/images/graemlins/smile.gif

cold_cash
02-24-2005, 03:58 PM
I use GMail with Outlook, but I don't know about Outlook Express. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work, though.

stabn
02-24-2005, 03:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

you really shouldn't be using outlook express on your home PC

[/ QUOTE ]

Where else would you use outlook express? Your work PC?

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-24-2005, 04:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
somebody explain to me why gmail is so great?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes. Explain what you like about it - what are all your favorite features? Also, do you use the notifier?

meep_42
02-24-2005, 04:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Better than a hundred thousand pissed off people who can't get their email because it crashed.

-d

nolanfan34
02-24-2005, 04:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I should be nagging you about this, WTF is wrong with Hotmail?

Sweaburg
02-24-2005, 04:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Most Definitely.

Isura
02-24-2005, 05:42 PM
Use yahoo. Since I opened my account 6 months ago I have ZERO spam and it's pretty fast (except for the odd party poker announcement that gets rerouted). And you can use pokertracker to download hand histories directly through POP mail.

stabn
02-24-2005, 06:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I should be nagging you about this, WTF is wrong with Hotmail?

[/ QUOTE ]

It works fine for me dude, not sure what the problem is you are having /images/graemlins/frown.gif. It seems like they've been doing some upgrades to it recently, so maybe your mailbox is just on one that's been getting upgraded or having problems with the upgrade?

stabn
02-24-2005, 06:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Use yahoo. Since I opened my account 6 months ago I have ZERO spam and it's pretty fast (except for the odd party poker announcement that gets rerouted). And you can use pokertracker to download hand histories directly through POP mail.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's funny. The terms of use for their POP mail means that they are allowed to spam you and allow their partners to send you direct mail as well.

wacki
02-24-2005, 07:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You can just export and import your list and then send out an e-mail to everyone w/ one e-mail. Problem solved.

eulogy
02-24-2005, 07:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

gmail supports pop3
most mail programs support pop3

i have over 100 invites if anyone needs an account

Isura
02-24-2005, 07:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's funny. The terms of use for their POP mail means that they are allowed to spam you and allow their partners to send you direct mail as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just have it forwarded to my old hotmail address.

wacki
02-24-2005, 07:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is a rocket scientist using a virus collector?

Voltron87
02-24-2005, 07:09 PM
It's not hot, and its not delivered by the postman, What is the deal with hotmail?!

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-24-2005, 07:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's not hot, and its not delivered by the postman, What is the deal with hotmail?!

[/ QUOTE ]
BOOOOOOOOOOO

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-24-2005, 07:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is a rocket scientist using a virus collector?

[/ QUOTE ]
You need a better sarcasm detector.

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-24-2005, 07:24 PM
It also bothers me that GMail calls the e-mails "conversations". This is right up there with all the "My" folders in Windows - My Documents, My Pictures, My Music, etc... LAME

stabn
02-24-2005, 07:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I just have it forwarded to my old hotmail address.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then "ZERO" was a slight exaggeration.

stabn
02-24-2005, 07:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It also bothers me that GMail calls the e-mails "conversations". This is right up there with all the "My" folders in Windows - My Documents, My Pictures, My Music, etc... LAME

[/ QUOTE ]

What about my AIM "Buddy list"?

Btw. I've used OE and Outlook exclusively for the last 5 years and have gotten 0 virii or spyware on my computer.

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-24-2005, 07:31 PM
I don't mind the Buddy List.

Yeti
02-24-2005, 07:39 PM
People still use Hotmail?

stabn
02-24-2005, 07:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't mind the Buddy List.

[/ QUOTE ]

I probably dn't like it because of this guy:
http://www.dollinfo.com/images/80misc/mybudfl.jpg

And the lame as 80's commercials... "My buddy...my buddy and meeee".

Prof. Chaos
02-24-2005, 07:45 PM
don't act like you didn't have one.

stabn
02-24-2005, 07:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
People still use Hotmail?

[/ QUOTE ]

Inbox usage:
2% of 250MB

After the upgrade to 250 per user instead of 2, and the lack of privacy concerns compared to Gmail, why wouldn't you?

stabn
02-24-2005, 07:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
don't act like you didn't have one.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did not have one. However, my sister did give me a "My little pony" for Christmas one year. I have still not forgiven her.