PDA

View Full Version : The Best Sega Mastersystem Game

ZeeJustin
02-24-2005, 02:38 PM
For those of you with absolutely no culture, Sega Mastersystem was the console from Sega that competed with NES (it came out long before Genesis).

ZeeJustin
02-24-2005, 02:38 PM
My votes:
1. Phantasy Stars
2. Wonder Boy II
3. Alex Kidd in Miracle World

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-24-2005, 02:40 PM
I was never much a fan of this system. I remember having friends who had one but I never liked playing it - maybe it was just the games they had. I don't think you'll get many responses with this one either. Sega wasn't cool until the Genesis.

Eurotrash
02-24-2005, 02:44 PM
You pretty much had three of my favorites..

was Miracle World the one where you played roshambo with people after certain levels? I had another Alex Kidd where you had to fight ninjas at some point, that one kind of kick-ass.

also, I had a great one called Miracle Warriors I think.. kind of role-playish

edit: Was Wonder Boy: the Dragon's Trap for genesis or master system? That was by far and away my favorite Wonder Boy game

ZeeJustin
02-24-2005, 02:48 PM
AKIMW is the one with roshambo
There was also AKI High Tech World (where the goal in the game is to escape the palace to get to the arcade beore the day ends), AKI Shinobi World, and I think there was one more (as well as a couple more later on for genesis).

ZeeJustin
02-24-2005, 02:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
edit: Was Wonder Boy: the Dragon's Trap for genesis or master system? That was by far and away my favorite Wonder Boy game

[/ QUOTE ]

That was wonder boy III for SMS. I love how the game starts off from the very end of wonder boy II. It certainly is a great game, but I prefer WBII personall.

Eurotrash
02-24-2005, 02:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There was also AKI High Tech World (where the goal in the game is to escape the palace to get to the arcade beore the day ends

[/ QUOTE ]

this was the one with the ninjas later on.. damn, I loved that one. i need to find a master system emulator now.

Eurotrash
02-24-2005, 02:50 PM
i'm pretty sure I have WBII as well, but I remember playing it (seemingly) forever and not being able to finish it.. it was a very difficult game back in the day.

WBIII still stands as my fave.

Have you played/heard of Miracle Warriors?

ZeeJustin
02-24-2005, 02:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
this was the one with the ninjas later on

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that I think about it, all 3 games have ninjas. In AKISW, you obviously are a ninja (and I thought this was the game you were referring to). Also, I believe (but could be wrong) that AKIMW has ninjas in the jungle level (the one where you first get the motorcycle).

beerbandit
02-24-2005, 02:52 PM
i do not think i had many games for this system

but from what i barely remember i think i played joe montana football the most, my favorite was tackling a player so hard(mainly on kick return) that the stretcher had to carry them away

i also had the sega cd attachment --- i think night trap and ground zero texas was pretty sweet, also lunar the silver star was good

i hated the controllers though

cheers

astroglide
02-24-2005, 03:08 PM
it totally makes sense that you had one of these

housenuts
02-24-2005, 03:10 PM
i too had SegaCD. lunar was one of the best RPGs.

the only game i can remember playing for SMS was Rampage, and that game owned.

on another note, who bought the Sega32X?

ZeeJustin
02-24-2005, 03:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
it totally makes sense that you had one of these

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I'll bite. What are you implying?

Tron
02-24-2005, 03:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was never much a fan of this system. I remember having friends who had one but I never liked playing it - maybe it was just the games they had. I don't think you'll get many responses with this one either. Sega wasn't cool until the Genesis.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, Sega stopped being cool immediately after the Genesis... Except for their stand-up arcade games. They're great at those.

SomethingClever
02-24-2005, 03:38 PM
I can't remember the names of the games, but I liked...

1) The one where you were a ninja. You had throwing stars and it was incredibly difficult. One touch killed you.

2) The roleplaying one where you turned at various times into a dragon, a mouse, etc.... That was a pretty damn good game.

Luzion
02-24-2005, 03:46 PM
Wow, I didn't know people were into Sega Master System. They had great graphics and pretty good games compared to Nintendo at the time.

I think Phantasy Star probably was the best game they had to offer. Too bad that a lot of people never figured out how to beat the game at the end. After beating Lassic, you gotta goto the Governors house and find the last boss DarkFalz.

The Alex Kidd in Miracle World - where you Rock, Paper, Scissors and you have to eat those rice balls at the end of the level as well as being able to buy motorcycles and minicopters. Everyone remembers that game cause you play a little kid with a big fat fist that punches everything. Great game and very fun to beat, but never played the other ones.

Wonder Boy in Monster Land, as well as the Wonder Boy after that where you start off as a Lizard and are forced to become a Lion, a Rat, etc etc or something? Remember to always go for the Ruby at the end of Wonder Boy in Monster Land and not the bell. /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/cool.gif

I also remember Miracle Warriors, that game was fun too for an RPG, even though Phantasy Star was far superior. Goal was to get three friends and their legendary weapons to kill the she-bitch Terarin so you could reclose the Dark Portal. Cant believe I remember this stuff. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Here are some other games I had and liked a lot...
Golvellius: Valley of Doom
Michael Jacksons Moonwalker
Gangster Town, a Light Gun game
Shinobi, I think everyone knows this game
Y's: The Vanished Omens
Zillion, this awesome game where you go through this big underground complex and get past rooms by memorizing short codes.

Hope some people remember some of these games!!!
/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dangergirl
02-24-2005, 03:48 PM
Which game system had Paperboy? I know that was a dumb game, but I loved it!

beerbandit
02-24-2005, 03:49 PM
nintendo --- me thinks

cheers

Luzion
02-24-2005, 03:51 PM
First game you are talking about is Shinobi. You could upgrade your weapons to throwing knives, rolling bombs, or even a gun that you hold really close to your chest? And the bosses had specific weak points you needed to nail. Plus you could earn "magic" from killing ninjas that ran from side to side as your threw shurikens in 3D. It was pretty hard but not as hard as NES Ninja Gaiden 1. Btw, there was a level select code you could enter in on the title screen to jump straight to any level, or even the last boss.

I think the second game you are talking about is Wonder Boy III? Yeah that was a great game too

Eurotrash
02-24-2005, 03:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Golvellius: Valley of Doom
Y's: The Vanished Omens

[/ QUOTE ]

I had both of these and both were awesome /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Luzion
02-24-2005, 04:03 PM
Btw, did you guys know there was a hidden game built into your Sega Master System? If you start up the console with no cartridge inside, you get this black screen with letters or something, then you hold UP and buttons 1 + 2 at the same time. It was called Snails or something, and the whole game was moving your snail through literally a maze.

Also, did anyone ever get the "sega card games"? Instead of a cartridge, you got a plastic card that you slipped into the console. Spy vs Spy and Teddy Boy were two really fun games I remember that were released in "card" format.

Phoenix1010
02-24-2005, 04:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, Sega stopped being cool immediately after the Genesis... Except for their stand-up arcade games. They're great at those.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nay.

SomethingClever
02-24-2005, 04:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Plus you could earn "magic" from killing ninjas that ran from side to side as your threw shurikens in 3D.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah!!! That was it. I thought it was a LOT harder than Ninja Gaiden, FWIW.

astroglide
02-24-2005, 04:10 PM
haha!!

daryn
02-24-2005, 04:16 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

i had these. lunar was awesome. i bought it for playstation also. all this dragon warrior talk made me bring it out, and as soon as i finish DW i'll start in on lunar.

Phoenix1010
02-24-2005, 04:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i had these. lunar was awesome. i bought it for playstation also. all this dragon warrior talk made me bring it out, and as soon as i finish DW i'll start in on lunar.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lunar = best non-FF RPG ever. Playstation version is even better. I think I'll give it another run through as well.

ZeeJustin
02-24-2005, 04:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Btw, did you guys know there was a hidden game built into your Sega Master System?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's odd. When I turned my SMS on with no game in, the motorcycle game that came with SMS came up. The gun game might have come up if the gun was in, i forget. (that game had an awsome song btw).

[ QUOTE ]
Also, did anyone ever get the "sega card games"?

[/ QUOTE ]

I had two. One was called My Hero (i think). The other took place in a haunted house, had tons of vampires and you had to find these crystal like things.

astroglide
02-24-2005, 04:35 PM
you had to enter a code of some sort. i believe some had some gay maze game and the others had space harrier. i had a friend with a sms that had the gay maze game.

Luzion
02-24-2005, 04:40 PM
Damn I didnt know there were other hidden games. Guess I got the crappiest hidden game you could get. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Benal
02-24-2005, 04:49 PM
I liked the Wonderboy series

DarkFalz
02-24-2005, 05:03 PM
I've lurked for a long time around 2+2, but I had to finally register a name and jump in.

Phantasy Star - The best. I wish they would release a collection for PS2.
Zillion - Also a great game.
I also liked Space Harrier and Fantasy Zone II.

The stupid maze game (wasn't it a snail?) was really weak.

astroglide
02-24-2005, 05:27 PM
phantasy stars are out on gameboy advance right?

DarkFalz
02-24-2005, 05:39 PM
I think they put the first 3 Phantasy Stars in the collection and put Phantasy Star 4 out seperately. But I don't have GameBoy Advance. /images/graemlins/mad.gif
Might have to get one.

4thstreetpete
02-24-2005, 05:40 PM
i was one of the few people who actually got a sega mastersystem before the nintendo. For me I just love the games that they have like the wonderboy series, shinobi, space harrier etc.

I love these old skool games and I'm still playing them on my pc now using a mame emulator while taking a break from poker.

Has anyone ever finished wonderboy in monsterland? I love this game but it's damn hard.

DeezNuts
02-24-2005, 05:48 PM
I spent so much time on Wonder Boy in Monster Land but that game was too hard for me. Alex Kidd was awesome, I could beat it without losing a man, love the helicopter, motorcycle and end castle.

Did anyone play the game Quartet(I think that's the name). You get jet packs and play 2 players simultaneously. Fun stuff for two players. Too bad they couldnt grab enough market share and didnt get 3rd party software developers. I loved that system.

DN

Luzion
02-24-2005, 05:57 PM
Ive beaten Wonder Boy in Monster Land. It helps a lot to know where all the hidden money is. The ones where you jump up and down and money bags or coins appear. And the key to beating the last stage is having directions to get to the Dragon ASAP. Then you can get the Ruby instead and have a far easier time beating him.

The-Matador
02-24-2005, 06:25 PM
Phantasy Star and it isn't even close.

astroglide
02-24-2005, 06:46 PM
i have a gba somewhere and a gba sp. i would sell you the straight gba really cheap.

4thstreetpete
02-24-2005, 07:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ive beaten Wonder Boy in Monster Land. It helps a lot to know where all the hidden money is. The ones where you jump up and down and money bags or coins appear. And the key to beating the last stage is having directions to get to the Dragon ASAP. Then you can get the Ruby instead and have a far easier time beating him.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah it sucks because I keep running out of money. I just found a great walkthrough on the net and I can't wait to play this game again. Good times! It's amazing how great some of these games were and how they still hold up today.

Eurotrash
02-24-2005, 07:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I had two. One was called My Hero (i think). The other took place in a haunted house, had tons of vampires and you had to find these crystal like things.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I shouldn't be surprised, but these were the two card games I had (maybe the only two they ever made?) fun, though /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

ZeeJustin
02-24-2005, 08:54 PM
I only found out about this like 2 years ago when I downloaded WBII on an emulator, but if you press pause 78 times in a row or something, you get free money. Unfortunately you have to be careful because as you do this, the clock will wind down, and you will lose some hearts.

Alobar
02-24-2005, 08:58 PM
uhm...double dragon. why are there other answers? seems pretty obvious to me

riffraff
02-24-2005, 09:36 PM
Your list is pretty damn good. Phantasy Star I (II &amp; III were on Genesis) and the Wonderboy series were exceptional.

Some of the lightgun games were very well done too.

I still have a large collection of SMS games (as well as just about every system). Many of the SMS games were not released here in the states. Paperboy was one of the titles released overseas only I beleive.

Dantes
02-24-2005, 09:53 PM
wonderboy 2 is IMO the king of all platformers but damn it was hard when I was like 12 or whatever. Was it even possible to get all the legendary gear?

ZeeJustin
02-25-2005, 02:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
as it even possible to get all the legendary gear?

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course. The key is not only knowing where all the hidden coins/moneybags are, but also, there is one boss that you can, and should fight twice. The extra gold you get from him is crucial.

AngryCola
02-25-2005, 02:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
1. Phantasy Star

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, I know it was a stupid game, but I enjoyed "Gangster Town".