PDA

View Full Version : Hold'em Inspector?

bubbahotep
02-24-2005, 01:50 PM
Has anyone used the software called Hold'em Inspector? It monitors your cards and how others are betting and gives reccomendations on how to play realtime.

Is this software any good as a guide?

(I realize software can't pick up all the subtle details about your opponent, but it might be a good baseline help to a new player...your thoughts?)

Benal
02-24-2005, 05:00 PM
Just get pokertracker. You will not be disapointed.

www.pokertracker.com (http://www.pokertracker.com)

tripdad
02-25-2005, 01:34 AM
pokertracker does not do what this program supposedly does.

to the original poster, i do not know anything about the program you asked about. i would advise you to obtain an odds chart of some type(a chart that gives you odds against making certain hands with your holdings). prefferably one that also lists the number of outs you have to make your hand.

keep a copy of the chart next to you while you play. from that, you will have the information you need to make profitable decisions. i would hesitate to pay for a program when all the info you need is available free of charge. you will soon know the outs and odds inside out, and will no longer need the chart next to you.

as for preflop play, there are many books available which advise as to what to do with hands before the flop, based on position and game texture. some differ somewhat, but all are good starting points. you need to play tight as a preacher's mama when first starting out. you can loosen up as you get better in your postflop play.

once you have a good foundation, you should get books such as "hold'em for advanced playes", and "small stakes hold'em". that, and scour the strategy forumns on this site. good ones are: small stakes, micro stakes, and short handed/heads up.

having said all this, it is important that you know you cannot simply "play by the book" forever. eventually, you need to take what you've learned, and go a step further. mix up your play. become a self teacher. work on reads/putting opponents on a hand.

this is a very difficult game to master, and very few people ever do. it taks an extraordinary amount of patience, frustration, heart...and of course smarts.

good luck in your journey. i hope you have as much fun as i am.

cheers!

TALLBrad
02-25-2005, 03:05 AM
Hold'em Inspector will make you see monsters too many times in your opponets hands!!! Yeah it tells you the relative strength of your hand vs. all the possible hands available based on the known cards......

The bottem line is you will end up playing like a rock, and folding too many times in the face of an opponents aggression. Hold'em Inspector only really has you sticking with a hand if you can lead the betting (i.e. act early or checked to you) and don't get raised without the Nuts.