PDA

View Full Version : cap rules heads-up

09-10-2002, 09:31 PM
Two scenarios:
1) Two players see the river(or any street) - there is no cap, right?
2) Four players see the river - PlayerA bets, Players B and C fold, Player D raises. Is this also a no cap situation?

thanks,
Robb

bernie
09-10-2002, 10:11 PM
depends on where ya play...

some cardrooms have a cap rule regardless of how many players are in...

some have a no cap if only 2 players start the betting round...
some have it if it gets to 2 players during the betting round...

the easiest way to find out is to ask the dealer during a shuffle...or the floor upon arrival to the room...

Andy B
09-11-2002, 02:05 AM
As bernie said, the rules vary from room to room, so ask. On the internet, there's always a cap. In a card room, in your first scenario, the cap is lifted. In your second scenario, I think that it varies from room to room, but I think that the more common rule is that the cap is lifted in this case. A case where the cap should not be lifted is this: A bets, B raises, C raises, A raises again, B raises one more time (five bet cap in my local room), C now folds. A cannot raise again, because B made his last raise believing that he would not expose himself to a re-raise.

Rick Nebiolo
09-11-2002, 03:32 AM
Andy,

With the exception that there is a three raise cap in the big Los Angeles clubs, you are correct regarding your last scenario above. If three or more players are active when the third raise goes in, the pot is capped and cannot become uncapped even if the pot becomes head up. If only two players are active when the third raise goes in, there is no cap.

However, years ago a round that started three way would be capped at three raises even if one player never put in a bet. That was a terrible rule.

Regards,

Rick

09-11-2002, 03:52 AM