PDA

View Full Version : Isolating fish with very mediocre hands

teddyFBI
02-24-2005, 10:53 AM
Typical situation: I'm in MP2, directly to the left of megafish; VPIP = 55, PFR = 4. I pick up something like A8o, which is typically a preflop autofold. I think this would be a pretty standard play from the button or CO, but how far off the button is too risky (i.e. risk of getting 3-bet behind)?

Folded to fish, who limps -- should I raise to isolate, given that he likely limped with uber-trash, possibly suited? How about with a super LAG 60/22 who limps...if he had a better hand than A8, he almost certainly would have raised...

stoxtrader
02-24-2005, 10:54 AM
I generally do cause you get such value out of just being in a pot with this guy. probably muck it if i was in EMP, but definitely raise in LMP.

TStoneMBD
02-24-2005, 11:41 AM
i raise

pokerjo22
02-24-2005, 02:08 PM
I usually factor in how well they play post-flop too. Especially if they're loose-passive preflop, and weak-tight postflop, so you have a good chance of picking up the pot if you miss your A or 8.

goofball
02-24-2005, 02:19 PM
i also raise.

DcifrThs
02-24-2005, 02:41 PM
if he limps UTG then i fold.

i continue that pattern until about MP1 or MP2...then, since its more likely that i wont get f'ed with, i raise to isolate...if i knew the whole table would fold immediately id do it UTG+1...but thats a bit risky...

i can't imagine not trying to isolate with A8o...thats a monster here.

-Barron

damaniac
02-24-2005, 02:43 PM
One important factor is the players left to act behind you. If you're looking at three or four uncreative rocks, you can probably go ahead and raise, as they won't be aware of what's going on and muck all but the strongest hands. Wiser players might well 3-bet with a wider range of hands, perceiving what you are trying to do, and therefore you are more likely to get 3-bet if anyone fitting that description is behind you. More loose passives behind you might not be great, as even though they may well be cold-calling with weaker hands than yours, you really don't want to play this thing 4-handed out of position, regardless of how crappy the other players are. So that should be among the most important factors in whether or not you should isolate or not.

Hamlet
02-24-2005, 03:02 PM
I think that this move is very easy to overdo. Even if the players behind you play real tight (say 3-bet with 99-AA, AK and AQ, fold everything else), that still gives each person behind you an almost 4% chance to put the hurt wagon on you. In early mid-position, we're talking about a 16-20% chance of you being dominated.

If they figure out what your doing, it will be worse.

I guess a good question is - If there was no limper, would you try and steal the blinds from here? If not, I don't think the bad limper turns this into a money-maker. He's got to be pretty bad to make A8 a big winner with this many people behind you.

esspo
02-24-2005, 03:08 PM
It's a sliding scale right? The tighter the players left to act the better the raise looks. But beware if you get some cold cold callers, especially if they are decent. The hardest part of making this play in that spot is being able to lay down your hand when the flop hits you but cold callers start giving you some action.