PDA

View Full Version : Boy, did I get toasted at Pacific Poker

Raemius
02-24-2005, 10:30 AM
Played my style, generally playing premium cards (top 40) very agressively. Anyway, it took me a whole hour to lose my free $10. Lost big on pocket AA to trip 3's (guy went all-in post flop with 3-6 offsuit). Lost two made pair with pocket AKs, AK9 on the flop to Full House Kings full of 7's, yes, got my all in called post flop by a guy who had K-7). Turn and river were both 7s. Lost a flopped flush to a full house that was made on the turn, river. I bet agressively on the flop.

It was aa lesson in humility, Now I think I suck.

Anyway, It 's god because I hate Pacific poker, and now that my free $10 ran out, I have no reason to play there anymore. I've been thinking of playing real money on Ultimate Bet or Full Tilt, but this whole thing made me re-evaluate. I'm pretty good live, but just got toasted on-line with real money.

ajk131
02-24-2005, 10:35 AM
Wow, you really do suck. I can't believe you lost a whole $10.

usmfan
02-24-2005, 10:47 AM
Microlimits Forum (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=micro)
You'll get more help in there.

AncientPC
02-24-2005, 01:43 PM
I believe he's playing NL, which would make him belong here (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=ssplnlpoker).

Laomedon
02-24-2005, 01:48 PM
Why are you complaining about other people's moronic play? Clearly it doesn't need to be said, but I will say it anyway: it is precisely this type of play that everyone relishes.

wjmooner
02-24-2005, 01:48 PM
To be somewhat serious, I remember starting out playing Micro NL when I first started, and I encourage you to keep analyzing your play to see what you did wrong.

If you got all the money in as a HUGE favorite, there is nothing you can do, it's a bad beat, move on. Strings of bad beats happen.

It's tough to remember when 10$ meant something in my poker world, but when I started it was half my bankroll /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Good Luck
WJ

Raemius
02-25-2005, 11:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
To be somewhat serious, I remember starting out playing Micro NL when I first started, and I encourage you to keep analyzing your play to see what you did wrong.

If you got all the money in as a HUGE favorite, there is nothing you can do, it's a bad beat, move on. Strings of bad beats happen.

It's tough to remember when 10$ meant something in my poker world, but when I started it was half my bankroll /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Good Luck
WJ

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, the $10 didn;t mean much, expecialy because it wasn;t mine. The only reason I poted this here, I've heard similar stories about the Pacific and the "free" $10. Either way, I'm glad it happened, because even if I played it right, it makes me evaluate how I could have played better. In RL I play against pretty good players, and this just made me realize that If I ever play online micro0limit for real money, I have to be prepared to possibly play a different style. There is a definite difference between real money online play and real money B&M play, and this little session made me realize that.

ILL34GL3
02-25-2005, 12:21 PM
The title of this thread is hilarious.

Jim T
02-25-2005, 12:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Yeah, the $10 didn;t mean much, expecialy because it wasn;t mine. The only reason I poted this here, I've heard similar stories about the Pacific and the "free" $10.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've built my bankroll to over $800 in the last few months from that free $10.00 at Pacific.

Raemius
02-25-2005, 01:19 PM
Way to go... I wasn't really expecting a string of bad beats... oh well. I'm still a student of the game.

Caruso329
02-25-2005, 01:24 PM
How do you get the $10 free? Just sign up? I don't see details on their promotions page or anything.

mistrpug
02-25-2005, 01:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How do you get the $10 free? Just sign up? I don't see details on their promotions page or anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pawtucket Pat
02-25-2005, 01:49 PM
The most important lesson you can learn early on is that if there were never bad beats, if poker didn't involve a solid amount of luck, then very few people, if any, would make long-run money from it. The luck keeps the fish coming back. Embrace the beats, they make the game more profitable.

Mike Haven
02-25-2005, 02:21 PM
it's an interesting style they play at pacific - calling-station-loose-passive-lucky-as-feck, most of the time

as there are often 60%, or even 70% or 80%, taking the flop and you are playing a big A, if you don't flop your big pair, you are dead meat to someone's paired J6 or Q4 or whatever - there is no way anyone will fold a bottom pair, and someone else will be playing a gutshot draw or three to a flush - or even J-high, come to that - there's no such thing as a blank - a 3 will pair or two-pair someone's 93 or fill a 2456 draw - bluffs don't work - if you bet and they fold on the river it's because you would have won anyway

it's almost imperative to have the nuts or very close to it to value bet - and, i hesitate to call it slow-play, the passivity of some of the players will often catch you out with your second top pair - unless you are happy to check all the way just because there's one overcard on the flop - basically you have to play a best hand with all out will win strategy

if you catch a string of nut hands, the place is a goldmine - but it can be incredibly frustrating when you are beaten time and time again by hands that you would hardly play for free in the big blind - and the amazing number of glitches and errors and disconnections can get you crawling up the walls if you're not very careful

support is on a five-day delay at the moment - they say they are busy - if they are busy, there must be two guys at most working in the boss's garage where he keeps the whole out-of-date set-up on his spectrum 45

CrazyN8
02-25-2005, 02:28 PM
sounds like most micro limit games. The people do stuff that makes you wonder how they don't choke on their own druel. I had KK beat twice in one rotation (once was against AA). I don't complain it's just that some days they do win and good for 'em. It makes them forget that they are losers in the long run. Like me and Golf - I hit that one good shot that makes me come back and play 18 more. /images/graemlins/grin.gif