PDA

View Full Version : 23o on the button against exposed card

TStoneMBD
02-24-2005, 09:47 AM
2-5NL game at turningstone.

hijack seat is an ultrarock, weak tight winning player who is a thinker. im lag, and he knows im lag, but his counterstrategy to that is to let me bluff off my chips. he wont play back at me. bb is TAG, semilag.

hijack looks at his cards and i see the Js. i wasnt trying to look at his cards for all the etiquette patrollers out there, i just happened to be leaning over the side of my chair while trying to smell his new blend of cologne.

hijack limps in, co folds, i raise with 23o on the button. BB calls, hijack calls.

flop: A77r
2 checks, i bet 25, bb calls, hijack folds.

turn: 4
check check

river: 6
check check

i table my 23o before bb shows his hand. he flips over A3s and takes down the pot.

AZK
02-24-2005, 10:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i just happened to be leaning over the side of my chair while trying to smell his new blend of cologne.

[/ QUOTE ]

This by far and away is the most important part of the hand. Why exactly were you doing this?

Loci
02-27-2005, 03:25 PM
Hey, great post!
Good job not losing more on the hand, for starters, but I think you should have responded after you rolled your cards face up and he took down the pot: "You play crap like that?"
Also, I think the best part of this hand is knowing that he's just waiting for you to burn off more of your chips for him. Even knowing he had a unpaired J(omitting pocket pair), you didn't work him over on it.(whether this is integrity or fear, doesn't matter.
Finally, just curious, was it a good cologne or some nasty one that you were trying to identify so that you'd never make the same mistake?

TStoneMBD
02-27-2005, 03:48 PM
lol.

i was kidding about smelling his cologne. i wasnt trying to look at his cards at all. the villain doesnt conceal his hand very well, as he peaks at his cards with one hand. ive told him several times that i can see his cards but he doesnt listen, so ill just capitalize instead.

i think that rolling over 23o without saying anything and keeping a dead face on is a better advertising method than to crack a joke like "you play crap like that?" most of the people at the table know im a dead serious player, so by cracking a joke i think it shows that i was advertising and that i dont intend to mess around anymore for the night and that im done playing those crap hands. by not saying anything it looks more like playing these hands is part of my game plan and that they can expect me to play hands like this again. maybe im wrong about this, id like some more input tho.

mainly however, i was wondering if it was merely FPS spewing to play this hand even though i had the information at hand that i did. i regretted not raising more preflop as i let the bb in for a cheap price. the bb would have called any amount within reason that i would have raised preflop anyway with that hand, but thats besides the point.

after the hand, a friend across the table was staring me down with the expression on his face saying "lol, what a joker you are." my only response to him was a verbal "oops."

Loci
02-27-2005, 04:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i think that rolling over 23o without saying anything and keeping a dead face on is a better advertising method than to crack a joke like "you play crap like that?" most of the people at the table know im a dead serious player, so by cracking a joke i think it shows that i was advertising and that i dont intend to mess around anymore for the night and that im done playing those crap hands. by not saying anything it looks more like playing these hands is part of my game plan and that they can expect me to play hands like this again.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can definitely see a reasoning for this. If that was your intent, then certainly the deadpan humor is more effective than the sarcastic/smart ass humor that I usually incorporate. By giving him the impression that you are playing the hand seriously, not just dicking around, you are likely to get called down by the whole table later on. This is especially true if you are LAG normally.
The reason why I make smart ass/sarcastic remarks(if you've read many of my posts, there is usually one or two of them in there) is because I like to keep people guessing as to whether I'm serious or joking. I have a pretty good 1st gear and 5th gear but am lacking in between, so to help accomodate that fault in my play I like to keep them guessing if I'm one or the other. Over the years I've created an arsenal of chit-chat retoric that I utilize in my play. One of my favorites is when I lose to a big pocket pair or a monster hand, the dry "That's okay, if you play those kinds of hands..." usually gets my opponents confused if they're dumb, laughing with me (this loosens them up) if they're smart, and laughing at me if they're REALLY dumb... (one guy once said "If you don't think I should play pocket kings, you're a moron!" If I had been more mean spirited I would have replied "here's your sign.")
Another great thing that you can do with the really dumb people is when they get a hint of my jokes, they'll respond with "are you being sarcastic?" my response, feigning confusion: "Sar-? Sarc...?? I'm sorry, I don't know what that means..." Okay, this can be a little mean spirited, but it's funny and usually gets the whole table laughing a little which is always EV+ for me.

[ QUOTE ]
mainly however, i was wondering if it was merely FPS spewing to play this hand even though i had the information at hand that i did. i regretted not raising more preflop as i let the bb in for a cheap price. the bb would have called any amount within reason that i would have raised preflop anyway with that hand, but thats besides the point.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think this is so much spewing as it is an advertisement. If you had hit a hand, you could have relieved him of his stack. You fired two rounds, got called and realized you weren't going anywhere fast, and layed off. If you make this same play, you'll profit from it in the long run. I'm typically in my 1st gear TA mode, but when I go LAG for a half hour or so, my EV goes way up for the night. It's the gear shifting that throws people off... If I could find a healthy 3rd gear, I can live without a 2nd and 4th... lol
Good talk. Keep playing player.
Ez