PDA

View Full Version : Near bubble, what kind of raise here?

1C5
02-24-2005, 08:25 AM
I think I am sometimes too aggressive in situations like this. Party $11, how much would you raise here?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Hero (t1840)
Button (t890)
SB (t1405)
BB (t150)
UTG (t2970)
MP (t745)

Preflop: Hero is CO with T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero?

1C5
02-24-2005, 08:26 AM
I know technically I am under the 10BB rule but it seems like I have too much $$ to push and I would only get called by a hand where I am dominated?

Phil Van Sexton
02-24-2005, 10:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I would only get called by a hand where I am dominated?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are probably a few hands (ie 99, A9) where you aren't dominated, but in general, you are correct.

Luckily, AT is dominated by very few hands: AA-JJ, AK-AJ...so 7 hands, and you already have 1 Ace in your hand. Therefore chances are that the Button or SB do not have these hands.

Even if they do call, you will usually have reasonable chance of sucking out (run PokerStove). As an added bonus, you have them both covered.

What you don't want is to bet small and have them call with 44 or, worse, reraise with A9 and make you fold.

The 10BB rule is somewhat arbitrary, so it could be argued that a non-push is ok in some cases with 9.4BB like you have.

However, button has 4.5BB and the SB has 7BB. Therefore, it's really not close to 10BB after all, and your options should be push or fold.

lorinda
02-24-2005, 10:17 AM
The most you can actually bet here is 1405 if I understand the other stacks correctly, so you only have 7BB for the purposes of this pot.

Edit: Ooops, see PVS above.

Lori

PoKeRPooT
02-24-2005, 10:54 AM
Looks like 300 in the pot you got mister button betting after you..lemme make it short...I would bet the pot almost hoping button would push. (obviously would rather him fold I want every 1 to fold) But if mister button pushes then ur last to bet again if someone calls him back out, cut ur losses. If he pushes its going to give you so much info. if the rest fold which i think they will since they just have blinds in the pot then i would call his push. Reason being he might be on a steal since there is now 1/3 of his stack amount (not his actual stack) in the pot and he's hungry. Also ATo is pretty good six-handed. Ok back to why i would bet the pot 1) shows big strength from your position. 2) you could win it right there for wuts really not to big of a bet.

summary:
bet 300-400 preferred you want to crush the big blinds pot odds
hope and pray every1 folds
If sumone pushes then dance or cut depending on your reads from
playing them for the last 30 mins.

1C5
02-24-2005, 11:53 AM
Great way to look at it, so my push wasn't as bad as I thought.
Would you push here also?

Alas, I got called by AK but that is beside the point.

Bigwig
02-24-2005, 12:41 PM
Push.

SuitedSixes
02-24-2005, 02:19 PM
Push.

The Yugoslavian
02-24-2005, 02:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Push.

[/ QUOTE ]

No Salt N Peppa??

I'm disappointed, /images/graemlins/frown.gif.

Yugoslav
(I'd push this hand REAL good)

SuitedSixes
02-24-2005, 02:27 PM
I'm working on something better than Salt, Salt, Salt, Salt and Pepa's here.

SuitedSixes
02-24-2005, 02:29 PM
I'm going to amend my answer. IF you play, you push, but you are not in dire straits here so you can fold. Nothing wrong with being tight here when you have 6+ BB.

Slim Pickens
02-24-2005, 02:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would bet the pot almost hoping button would push.

[/ QUOTE ]
At this point, I have to be holding AA or KK to play for action. AT is not a strong enough hand to do this. Even with QQ I'm pushing and feeling no regret about just taking the blinds. The push is a good option. Running into AK was a kick in the teeth, but IMO the OP made the correct play.

Slim

curtains
02-24-2005, 05:15 PM
I usually min raise here. You are attacking the Big blind who is basically allin...it's hard to come over the top of you with garbage, because they know the big blind is going to call, so if the SB wakes up and moves allin for 1400, you are usually correct to fold. You can't really fold if the button moves allin however.
I'm sure people will criticize this play, but this is what I would do, and I don't remember ever being bluffed out by the SB in this situation (And I always find out because there is an allin confrontation with the short stack).

RobGW
02-24-2005, 05:38 PM
Curtains,

I second your comments. SB won't get out of line here. By making a small raise button and SB will have to have a good hand to play with you. Button will have to play for his entire stack. You probably have BB in a bad spot. This is bully time people.