PDA

View Full Version : Reraise AKs preflop in multiway pot?

Mammux
02-24-2005, 07:32 AM
Live freezeout tourney, $100 buyin, 10000 starting chips.

24 players, we're down to 18. I am chip leader at my table with 21000 chips. Blinds are 300/600. I raise to 2000 UTG with AKs. LAG MP reraises all-in to 7000. Weak passive Button calls 7000, with another 7000 left behind. Blinds fold.

What do I do?

My thinking went: with AK I want to see all five cards. With A on the flop button might not give me any more action, however she might check low flop and turn, even with QQ or KK (she was that weak).

-Magnus

Msogard
02-24-2005, 09:08 AM
I'd call and push any flop.

kuro
02-24-2005, 10:39 AM
I'd just push. Villian has invested half her stack. She's not folding post flop unless she completely misses. Any continuation bet on your part is going to pot commit you, so you might as well just push preflop to prevent her from folding a miss on the flop.

schwza
02-24-2005, 10:49 AM
is button so weak/dumb that she would fold to pre-flop push? if there's any chance of that, it's a clear push.

i think the fact that she might get away if an A/K hits is good enough reason to push now.

Mammux
02-25-2005, 10:53 AM
I didn't think there was a chance that she would fold preflop. Anyway, I pushed, she called. Shortstack showed K9s, she showed QQ. No A or K, she won the pot.

Apart from results, I'm happy with my play. Even after losing I had appx 10xbb, had I won the hand I would have had more than 50xbb and a very solid chip lead.

The thing that makes me post the hand is that I suspect with this passive player I might have been able to check it to the river and limit my loss when no A or K hit. If she was really that passive, a preflop call would mean that I give up a 45% chance of winning 7k for a 55% chance of losing 7k less. If my read was 100% correct that would make a call correct, I think. However, if my read was only 75% certain, I should still push? Right?

-Magnus