PDA

View Full Version : TT and AKo in Level 1?

Taraz
02-24-2005, 07:23 AM
I've started playing 5+1 and 10+1 sngs at Party and I'm doing relatively well (25-30% ROI for the first 100 or so). I seem to get into problems when I get a legitimate hand early on that isn't incredible. If you get dealt TT or AK in level 1 what do you do? Is it better to limp and hope for a good flop or to raise? If people call your raise do you just shut it down when you miss?

It seems to me that people will call any raise that is less than 10x BB early in these tournaments. I have been raising them, but when I get called it puts me in a tough position. What do you guys think?

shoeman
02-24-2005, 08:57 AM
I usually raise with AKo about 3-4xBB. Try to limit the field. If there is a good raise out there already, I will either call or re-raise depending on position and number of callers. If you flop an A or K, come out betting/raising aggressively. If you don't flop an A or K, you can still fire out a bet but be ready to fold if there is too much action.

Early in an SNG I only limp with TT. I will call a small raise, but not a big raise. Muck post flop unless you flop a Ten or all undercards. You can also throw a bet out there if the flop is something like J92. Just be ready to shut down the betting if you get much action.

BTW, I also play $10 SNGs. Strategy may be different at the higher levels. Early in an SNG, there are too many people at the lower levels who will call you down with garbage. That's why you need to be careful post flop with these hands. If you don't hit and there is any sign that somebody else has a hand.....fold.

This obviously changes after level 3.

lorinda
02-24-2005, 09:30 AM
Hi Taraz,

A lot of people have trouble with these two hands.

Play TT as if it were 22 for a while and see how you get on.

(Obviously don't go all in if you hit a 2 when you have TT, that might be an error, but you get the idea.)

Lori

1C5
02-24-2005, 09:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hi Taraz,

A lot of people have trouble with these two hands.

Play TT as if it were 22 for a while and see how you get on.

(Obviously don't go all in if you hit a 2 when you have TT, that might be an error, but you get the idea.)

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you suggest the same play for JJ for a newer player? I assume QQ should be raised...