PDA

View Full Version : Time Pot Questions

JasonP530
02-24-2005, 06:03 AM
Just a few questions on how to play in time pots. My general strategy is to stay out of time pots with marginal hands(as there is almost a 1BB rake on the pot, $35 in a 20/40 game). Marginal hands are hands like AJ in EP or UTG or QJs behind one limper where its not likely to be a multiway pot(I dont want to raise to isolate, bet the flop and have it be a time pot). I dont try to isolate people in time pots, as raising them and having the BB call ususally brings it close to a time pot. I just dont figure that my winrate is over 1BB in those spots. Correct me if I am wrong.

I hope to get a discussion started on time pots, as they have proved very profitable for me, and I would like to play better in them.
Here are a few hands from the game. All occur in time pots:

UTG limps and I am next with KQo. I can expect at least 3 limpers behind me 75% of the time.

EP Limps and so does MP. Both play poorly pre and post flop. I have KTo on the button.

UTG raises, 2 people cold call, poster calls, CO cold calls, and I have 99 on the button. Blinds are loose.

BarronVangorToth
02-24-2005, 10:12 AM
Tommy Angelo posted something in one of these threads about not having paid a time pot in, I believe he said, something like ten years.

I'm personally upset if I pay more than one time pot in a year. (Admittedly, I don't play all the time in a time pot situation.)

I think a lot of the fringe holdings go by the wayside when it comes to the time pot as the "rake" (the time) is through the roof in comparison to a "normal" rake (you know, $3-5).

EVEN if I personally avoid them to the -EV side of things, the happiness I feel at the end of a session avoiding a time pot more than makes up for it.

JasonP530
02-24-2005, 11:31 PM
I figure that I save about half the cost of time by playing time pots as opposed to paying myself. I also dont alter my too much. I also get annoyed when I have to pay a time pot, even if it isnt my money thats paying it(someone calls the turn drawing dead, and all his money goes to pay time). You have to pay time sometimes, or youre playing too tight.

TheBusiness
02-25-2005, 02:22 AM
Time pots rule. I probably end up paying once or twice in an 8 hour session. You should tighten up a little more than usual until the time gets paid off and then get back to your regular game. It is inevitable that occasionally you will have to pay it if you get a premium hand before the time has been paid off.

na4bart
02-25-2005, 03:28 AM
Have never played in a game with time pots, but understand the concept. I muck everyone of those hands in the situations you describe.

scrub
02-25-2005, 03:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Tommy Angelo posted something in one of these threads about not having paid a time pot in, I believe he said, something like ten years.

I'm personally upset if I pay more than one time pot in a year. (Admittedly, I don't play all the time in a time pot situation.)

I think a lot of the fringe holdings go by the wayside when it comes to the time pot as the "rake" (the time) is through the roof in comparison to a "normal" rake (you know, $3-5).

EVEN if I personally avoid them to the -EV side of things, the happiness I feel at the end of a session avoiding a time pot more than makes up for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

In the game that Jason is describing, only winning one time pot in a year would cost you thousands of dollars if you played in it regularly. The game is often too loose to justify folding in many spots just because the time pot is on.

scrub