PDA

View Full Version : Volunteering

theBruiser500
02-24-2005, 05:15 AM
I've been backacking in New Zealand the last few weeks but quite aimlessly and I haven't really done much. One thing that has struck me though is how well off I am in terms of money. Almost everyone else backpaking that I have met is on a tight budget.

Like on girl a couple days ago told me she has been in New Zealand 4 months and hasn't eaten in a restaurant once. Or anoter girl from Israel who came here for a 6 month trip with about 5k and she bought a car when she ot here with a friend for 1k and it broke down immeadiately which was really a lot of money for her to lose and she cried. Or on the airplane someone from Columbia who had friends who were married I forget how much they made per year but right out of college it was $6,000 or $12,000 and they both worked for 3 years saving everything they had to go on a vacation.

I'm going to Europe soon for some poker touranments but will stay there after those are done, and given the fact that I am aimless and given the fact that there are poor people that I feel sorry for and want to help if I can I'd like to try volunteering. What experiences have people had who have voluntered? What sort of volunteering can I do and how should I go about this, any ideas?

thatpfunk
02-24-2005, 05:17 AM
Its nice to see the world is teaching you things bruiser. hope you enjoy europe.

thatpfunk
02-24-2005, 05:18 AM
oops, repeat post. nt

theBruiser500
02-24-2005, 05:20 AM
This looks like a good site, http://www.volunteerinternational.org/

[censored]
02-24-2005, 05:25 AM
I did habitat for humanity once. The lady we built the house for was sort of bitch but the experience was fun.

spamuell
02-24-2005, 07:29 AM
I'm volunteering in a Romanian orphanage at the moment, pretty much yeah because we're comparitively extremely well-off.

I've been here for about two months, it's really good, I like the kids and I think they like and appreciate me, there are lots of other people around my age here (I'm 18 and the people range from 18 to about 25 mainly) so we go out most nights which is fun. Also, I'm living with a Romanian host family which is both enjoyable and interesting, they're very kind and welcoming.

I'd seriously recommend you do something like this. I'm with an organisation called Teaching and Projects Abroad (http://www.teaching-abroad.co.uk/) which is UK based but there have been Americans here while I've been here. PM me if you have any questions about it.

sfer
02-24-2005, 10:34 AM
Read "You Shall Know Our Velocity."

CCass
02-24-2005, 11:13 AM
Did you drop out of school?

B00T
02-24-2005, 11:42 AM
Volunteer your wang to make girls more culturally experienced.

But honestly, what interests you? Do some volunteer work at a soup kitchen, or at a hospital for old people with Alzhimers (however you spell it) or an animal shelter if you are into that.

Grab a local paper at whatever place you are in and look for some charity events in the area.

gamblore99
02-24-2005, 03:00 PM
good post. I was gonna volunteer in israel and be a paramedic, but they changed the requirements this year and now hebrew is a requirement. I settled for going on a kibbutz this year, then doing the paramedic thing next year, but this sight has some sweet possibilites.

sexypanda
02-24-2005, 03:10 PM
Throughout college, I volunteered at an inner-city school in Harlem every week. It was a very rewarding experience, I definitely recommend it. Alot of those kids grew up in single parent homes, or with relatives and didn't really have a role model, or anyone telling them how important school was. At the same time, I was able to relate to them on a more social level, which I think helped. It's definitely a good feeling, being able to positively affect kids futures who are less fortunate than us. It's also fun and doesn't seem like "work" like many other volunteer jobs. I volunteered at a hospital in high school and it was one of the worst experiences.

scrub
02-24-2005, 03:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Read "You Shall Know Our Velocity."

[/ QUOTE ]

Ni han.

scrub

Ulysses
02-24-2005, 03:37 PM
OK, Bruiser. That is a good post. You are still off my go broke list.

Places I've volunteered at that I've enjoyed a lot:

Habitat for Humanity - you build houses for underprivileged people.

Food Banks - sort, package donated food that will go to the hungry.

Family Shelters - These are places where homeless families stay while trying to get their lives together. Tutoring, playing w/ kids to give parents some free time, etc.

Kid's Shelters - These are places where abused kids taken from their families stay. Similar volunteer stuff as family shelter.

Volunteer things I am ambivalent about

Tutoring - with some kids I like this, with others I get a little frustrated. I'm not really into adult tutoring.

Serving meals - at a soup kitchen or church or something. I dunno, kinda whatever for me.

Nature stuff (planting trees, cleaning up beaches, etc.) - I find these not so personally fulfilling, but there are often very cute girls at these.

Volunteer things I am not personally into

Regular shelters (single homeless people)
Hospitals (sick people)
Nursing homes (elderly)
Special Olympics

I find volunteering at these places to be a little depressing. Others I know find these places to be the most fulfilling.

--

Volunteering helps give you a great perspective on life that you might not get otherwise. It's also often a good place to meet cool chicks.

I'm not sure how best to get involved internationally. Going to a large NGO (non-governmental organization) like the Red Cross might be a good start as far as a place to ask where good volunteer opportunities are.

In the US, a lot of cities have something like Hands On (http://www.handsonbayarea.com/) that coordinates lots of different volunteer projects.

Here's a similar-looking organization, Boston Cares. (http://www.bostoncares.org/)

A Google search on "<city> volunteering" will get you lots of info.

GuyOnTilt
02-24-2005, 03:56 PM
Hey Bruiser,

Volunteer work is seriously an amazingly rewarding experience. I can't really help you out with figuring out how to go about getting in contact with the right people, as all the times I've done it I've been set up by someone I know. But if you're looking for encouragement or a final nudge to actually commit to it, then I'll tell you it's definitely worth doing. I did some stuff down in Guatemala and Mexico and both times it was just an amazing and perspective-gaining experience. The fact that you're thinking about stuff like this now is really cool, btw. Hope everything continues to go well for you.

GoT

turnipmonster
02-24-2005, 04:08 PM
usually with habitat for humanity they have periodic meetings where everyone shows up and gets an orientation, etc. you fill out a sheet saying what hours/days you are available, and then they place you at a site.

they take volunteers with no skill at all, but they really value skilled workers, so if you have a trade skill they generally put you in charge of a group of people immediately.

--turnipmonster

TBag
02-24-2005, 05:31 PM
I would like to do some work with Habitat, but what if you're nearly worthless with a hammer? I would like to put some more hours towards my handy-man experience, as that is a very valuable life skill IMO, but I think I might feel guilty letting people live in a house that I put together =P. And I'm pretty sure they don't need to write a C program that will help them build a house...

Anyways, I guess my question is what kinda work would I be expecting if I volunteered there? Could someone give me a daily schedule of someone working in such a place?

Also Diablo, I'm interested in that food packaging program you mentioned in your "things I like" category. Where can I find more info on that?

DcifrThs
02-24-2005, 05:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've been backacking in New Zealand the last few weeks but quite aimlessly and I haven't really done much. One thing that has struck me though is how well off I am in terms of money. Almost everyone else backpaking that I have met is on a tight budget.

Like on girl a couple days ago told me she has been in New Zealand 4 months and hasn't eaten in a restaurant once. Or anoter girl from Israel who came here for a 6 month trip with about 5k and she bought a car when she ot here with a friend for 1k and it broke down immeadiately which was really a lot of money for her to lose and she cried. Or on the airplane someone from Columbia who had friends who were married I forget how much they made per year but right out of college it was $6,000 or $12,000 and they both worked for 3 years saving everything they had to go on a vacation.

I'm going to Europe soon for some poker touranments but will stay there after those are done, and given the fact that I am aimless and given the fact that there are poor people that I feel sorry for and want to help if I can I'd like to try volunteering. What experiences have people had who have voluntered? What sort of volunteering can I do and how should I go about this, any ideas?

[/ QUOTE ]

i had very similar experiences travelling abroad. in turn, one summer i did the whole summer in costa rica.

i volunteered at the monteverde research center in the rain forest for 2 weeks. did trail work on mt. chirripo for 2 weeks. and then for 4 weeks our group lived in a very poor villiage and provided free labor while living with the families there. they were so nice and appreciative for our help. we laid a concrete foundation for them and constructed quite large signs to post on the highway and dirt road that lead to the tiny town of San Vicente so that they could sell their beautiful pottery...

clearly, this is more of a specialized thing. so in general, helping those less fortunate with either day to day living things, or something like that will do wonders for them...

i wish i could give you more specific information. but i hope that'll give you some ideas...

-Barron

sublime
02-24-2005, 05:39 PM
Like on girl a couple days ago told me she has been in New Zealand 4 months and hasn't eaten in a restaurant once. Or anoter girl from Israel who came here for a 6 month trip with about 5k and she bought a car when she ot here with a friend for 1k and it broke down immeadiately which was really a lot of money for her to lose and she cried.

dude, you better be getting laid.

btw, on a serious note. you seem like a good person, and i mean that.

turnipmonster
02-24-2005, 05:40 PM
it really depends on what stage of the house they're in, and it totally doesn't matter if you don't have skills. generally you're going to be doing things like stapling up insulation, nailing in trim, hanging doors, and painting. as you volunteer more and get more experience you can do different things, like some carpentry and maybe some framing or sheetrocking depending on the project (oh boy! drywalling!).

--turnipmonster

Ulysses
02-24-2005, 05:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also Diablo, I'm interested in that food packaging program you mentioned in your "things I like" category. Where can I find more info on that?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you live in a city of any size, there'll be a dedicated Food Bank. Also, churches and other groups run smaller food banks in both large and small communities.

MicroBob
02-24-2005, 06:07 PM
I'm very seriously reading the ideas and recommendations here and hope I can get to a point in the semi-near future when i will be able to parttake in such things.

[ QUOTE ]
Volunteer things I am not personally into

Regular shelters (single homeless people)
Hospitals (sick people)
Nursing homes (elderly)
Special Olympics

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree these can be pretty depressing.
It just caught my eye though and is kind of funny because my current GF is a nurse at a hospital....and my ex-wife is a teacher in a multiple-handicap classroom (Down's syndrome kids, shaken-baby syndrome kids, etc).

I've said on multiple occasions about either one of them that I really don't know how they do it...and I still don't.

Can you imagine working ALL day with sick and/or dying patients or kids who are really struggling to even walk or communicate?

I'm not sure what it says about me that my 'ex' and my 'current' are in a field that i would be really bummed-out to be a part of everyday.
Frankly, I think it's more of a coincidence than anything but perhaps that's unrealistic.

willie
02-24-2005, 06:37 PM
i've done electrical work for several years now

do they sub contract electrical out or would i be useful.

theBruiser500
02-24-2005, 11:24 PM
Gamblore, are you Jewish? Curious why you'd choose to live on a kibbituz and stuff. You know any Hebrew or you going to learn it all there?

theBruiser500
02-26-2005, 01:36 AM
I am thinking of doing this thing, http://www.teaching-abroad.co.uk/destinations/index.php

where should I go?

theBruiser500
02-26-2005, 01:38 AM
I kind of like Mexico because they speak Spanish which if I learnt I could use in many places of the world and also because I'd really like to start playing soccer again and Mexico is big on soccer. But it's hot there which I don't like, and I don't even know what Mexicans look like, do they look weird?

theBruiser500
02-26-2005, 01:42 AM
Damn maybe I need to start a new thread to get people's attention on this question.

Alobar
02-26-2005, 01:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Places I've volunteered at that I've enjoyed a lot:

Habitat for Humanity - you build houses for underprivileged people.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ulysses
02-26-2005, 04:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]

where should I go?

[/ QUOTE ]

Chile - Chilean chicks are hot.
India - India is an incredible country. It can be tough for foreigners, though. Many incredibly beautiful Indian women.
Australia - Hot chicks. Speak English.
Mexico - Spanish is useful as you said. Also hot Mexican chicks. Also, lucha libre wrestling.
Peru - Peruvian chicks are hot.
Romania - Lots of hot Eastern European chicks.
Russia - Lots of hot Russian chicks.

Those are the countries I'm familiar with on that list.

Ulysses
02-26-2005, 04:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I kind of like Mexico because they speak Spanish which if I learnt I could use in many places of the world and also because I'd really like to start playing soccer again and Mexico is big on soccer. But it's hot there which I don't like, and I don't even know what Mexicans look like, do they look weird?

[/ QUOTE ]

You have a handful of great posts, then you ask what Mexicans look like. Do they look weird? WTF is wrong with you?

Anyway, there are lots of really hot Mexican chicks. That's all you need to know.

ethan
02-26-2005, 05:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I am thinking of doing this thing, http://www.teaching-abroad.co.uk/destinations/index.php

where should I go?

[/ QUOTE ]

Peru is pretty sweet. And, as Diablo said, the chicks are hot.

theBruiser500
02-26-2005, 05:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You have a handful of great posts, then you ask what Mexicans look like. Do they look weird? WTF is wrong with you?

Anyway, there are lots of really hot Mexican chicks. That's all you need to know.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lighten up ElDiablo!!