PDA

View Full Version : A4s flops trips. Too aggresive against a semi maniac?

the_rookie
02-24-2005, 01:35 AM
pokerroom.com 0.50-1.00 ten handed

Hero is UTG with A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Preflop:

Hero calls, 3 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button folds, SB completes, BB checks.

I hope no one has a problem with me limping here /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Flop ( 5 SB) K /images/graemlins/heart.gif A /images/graemlins/club.gif A /images/graemlins/spade.gif

SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets, MP2 folds, CO raises, SB folds, BB, folds, Hero 3-bets, CO caps, Hero calls.

CO is passive preflop but is a near maniac postflop, so I go to war on this flop. thoughts?

Turn (6.5 BB) 5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Hero checks, CO bets, Hero raises, CO 3-bets, Hero calls.

I think I was torn between calling down or betting the turn. So I did probably the worst of plays by check-raising. Thoughts on this? Now that I think about it this doesn't seem like the right play.

River (12.5 BB) 3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Hero checks, CO bets, Hero calls.

Final pot: 14.5 BB.

zeropotential
02-24-2005, 01:50 AM
Pre-frop: I don't have a problem with you limping as long as its usually 4 or 5 to a flop, and generally unraised. Your out of position with a weak kicker, you MUST remember that

Frop: So you limped, and what a flop you recieved. Bet out for sure. When it comes back around to you HU now I like the aggressive reraise, find out where you stand. It's cappped back, he has an ace.

Turn: He most likely has an ace, but probly hasn't hit his boat yet... most anyone would raise out of CO with AK. His kickers most likely larger then yours so you want high cards to fall so you don't have to loose in a kicker war. 5's no good for you I tend to check/call here. Some might advocate your raise... But i generally wouldn't, I think the cap says enough with the board as is. <font color="red">Edit:</font> just saw the semi-maniac read... don't know how strong this read is, but if so i might have bet out here if it was.

River: Amother horrible card for you, your kickers now going to have to stand up to his. I once again just check/call this down.

memphis57
02-24-2005, 02:21 AM
I didn't read your post but I'd say raise every street and try to get a check raise in.

Actually I did read it and the reply, but I think it sounds cool when people say that and then proceed to give the correct advice. And really, all that matters here is the read maniac which is in the subject. If you are right on that read, you should cap every street with a strong enough hand and trip aces is definitely strong enough. And I really do like the check-raise for it's sometimes-infuriating qualities.

Against a maniac, you can't try to read his cards. That's his one advantage, and if he's had much practice he's probably pretty good at manipulating people's attempts to read him. You just have to go all out when your hand is good enough to win about 2/3 of the time and accept the loses that come 1/3 of the time. 2/3 times an average win of, say, 10 and loss of 8-9 is a pretty darn good BB/100. (Note: it's also high variance, some sessions you can lose 30-50 BB to him over 50 hands.)

BTW, the poster above presents a very good analysis of this hand in normal circumstances. The only place where I differ is I would fold pre-flop more often than him, precisely because of the difficulties he goes on to describe.

flopwell
02-24-2005, 02:29 AM
why are you even in this hand with an A4s UTG?

Yeknom58
02-24-2005, 02:33 AM
Bet the turn and if he is truely a maniac post flop I would probably go 3 bets on the turn then if it's capped I call down on the river.

the_rookie
02-24-2005, 03:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
why are you even in this hand with an A4s UTG?

[/ QUOTE ]

I always limp in with Axs. If you play postflop well this hand is very profitable.