PDA

View Full Version : AK in capped preflop pot? Do I need a skirt?

JTG51
09-10-2002, 12:52 PM
This hand came in a good 5-10 game. My nemesis, the Button, is a very solid player. He's capable of folding a good hand, and of making moves.

I'm in the SB with AhKs.

UTG limps and everyone else folds to the Button. He raises. I 3 bet and the BB folds. UTG calls, Button caps. We both call.

So far so good, here's where it gets interesting.

Flop: Th Ts 5h

I check, UTG checks and Button checks.

Turn: [Th Ts 5h] 2s

I check again, UTG checks and Button checks again!

River: [Th Ts 5h 2s] As

I figure I have to be chopping now and check. UTG checks and Button bets. I call, UTG folds.

Button shows AdQd and I take down the much to small pot.

I really felt like a sissy checking twice with the best hand. Should a bet on the turn have been automatic? I was a little worried that Button had AA and checked the flop to get an extra bet on the turn.

Once we got to the river, I didn't think it mattered what I did. We were each going to put in 1 bet either way.

Would anyone think about check raising the river?

Thanks.

Uston
09-10-2002, 01:01 PM
Would anyone think about check raising the river?

I wouldn't just think about it. I'd do it almost every time. Once the button checks the turn you can forget about him having a ten (unless he's got four of them) or a spade draw. You have no reason to think UTG will call. If your read on the button is correct, UTG would need the case ace, which is unlikely. Note that since there is a four bet cap, the button doesn't need to have AK. He can easily have AQ or AJs. I think the worst that's going to happen if you check-raise it that you'll have to pay an extra dollar of rake the times you do chop.

JTG51
09-10-2002, 01:22 PM
I know this is a terrible justificaion, but I really though we were chopping. That's why I didn't check raise the river. I just didn't think this player would cap preflop with AQ or AJ. Especially after I 3 bet from the SB.

And you are right, I wasn't worried about UTG. He would only call with an A (or a T, which at that point was impossible) and he would definiltey call 2 bets cold with an A.

Uston
09-10-2002, 01:28 PM
Do you see what a great $5 investment the button made by capping it preflop? Obviously, it works best when you have position and an opponent who is capable of having the bejeezus scared out of him.

JTG51
09-10-2002, 02:14 PM

Ronm
09-12-2002, 03:01 AM
Theres some question in my mind about 3-betting A-Ku from the SB. You are going to be out of position all the way. I would doubt that either opponent has a 10 or 5 in their hand, so I would bet the flop and see the reaction. If no raise, I would bet the turn.

Why would anyone try a check-raise against opponents that checked the flop and turn? Bet.