PDA

View Full Version : Daniel Negreanu - not an O+A fan

Kevmath
02-23-2005, 11:40 PM
Anthony of XM's Opie and Anthony was in today's WPT Invitational. While he was playing, Opie and whomever was with him had the "pleasure" of interviewing him. From his blog:

On the way out I did the most disturbing interview I’ve ever done. Some satellite radio station asked me to do the show so I obliged. I sat in the chair and the radio hosts had no clue who I was and knew nothing about poker.

They asked me a few questions and then went off on a vulgar exchange that was absolutely appalling. I’m a poker player and they wanted to do was curse about nasty sex and random garbage. I found the hosts to be extremely rude and vulgar, a welfare version of Howard Stern.

Kevin...

greg nice
02-24-2005, 12:38 AM
i hate howard stern rip offs

slickpoppa
02-24-2005, 12:43 AM
opie and anthony are scum

imported_stealthcow
02-24-2005, 01:42 AM
they got kicked out of beantown for pulling the incredibly brilliant prank of saying our mayor had died in a car crash earlier in the day.

most likely teh stupidest idea i've ever heard in my life

stealthcow-

slickpoppa
02-24-2005, 01:44 AM
they got kicked out of NYC for taping a couple have sex in st. pauls cathedral

kev0ut
02-24-2005, 02:40 AM
i heard this and thought it was pretty funny. the guest host was joe rogan (from fear factor) and rogan was the one who really was vulgar, not opie. i can't even repeat what he was talking about or i'll get banned, but it had something to do with negranu's ex, which probably pissed him off

John Deere
02-24-2005, 11:36 AM
Opie & Anthony were never funny. They came on the air in DC and I listened to them for about a week before realizing how terrible their show was. I've never heard so much dead air on the radio in my life -- which was probably the result of them not having anything funny to say.

willie
02-24-2005, 11:46 AM
you guys ALL have your heads up your asses

O&A are the best thing that i've ever heard on the radio.

----and now pirated xm torrents /images/graemlins/grin.gif

willie
02-24-2005, 11:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Opie & Anthony were never funny. They came on the air in DC and I listened to them for about a week before realizing how terrible their show was. I've never heard so much dead air on the radio in my life -- which was probably the result of them not having anything funny to say.

[/ QUOTE ]

the show can be hit or miss some days. Some days it's brilliant, other days there are some laughs and some boring spots. For the most part though they are head and shoulders above the competition.

willie
02-24-2005, 11:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i hate howard stern rip offs

[/ QUOTE ]

repeats the same line howard has used to protect himself for years.

I can't believe people don't view stern as being pretty much washed up. His show became relateively bland within the last 5 years and it's just tired now.

I'm disgusted when howard talks about moving to satellite to save radio. As if he's the pioneer of the move. He'll be on "the little doggy company" (sirius) in january of 06. By then O&A will have been on satellite for 16 MONTHS. They are the true pioneers of unedited radio and this is another case of stern trying to take credit for something he is really just following.

Kevmath
02-24-2005, 12:15 PM
Just listening to the interview, and it went fine until the very end when they talk about "poker groupies" and he mentions he had just ended his engagement. Then Joe Rogan (guest hosting as Anthony was still in the tournament) makes a comment asking if he's wondering if some other guy's doing her, and Daniel laughs nervously, getting pissed. If the interview doesn't have that question, I'm sure he wouldn't have been so negative.

Kevin...

DesertCat
02-24-2005, 02:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I can't believe people don't view stern as being pretty much washed up. ...

I'm disgusted when howard talks about moving to satellite to save radio. ... By then O&A will have been on satellite for 16 MONTHS.

[/ QUOTE ]

Howard announces he's going to Sirius, and immediately, it's market cap increases several billion dollars. O&A were kicked off terrestrial months ago, and no-one even knows (or cares).

I guess a washed up Stern is still worth several billion more than O&A at their "innovative" best.

sexypanda
02-24-2005, 02:26 PM
Is the interview online anywhere?

cwsiggy
02-24-2005, 02:32 PM
Their stunt of bringing 50 homeless people by bus to the Short Hills mall with $200 or so in spending cash each was absolutely hysterical.

Kevmath
02-24-2005, 02:40 PM
I'll be happy to email anyone interested a copy of the interview. PM me if interested.

Kevin...

IndieMatty
02-24-2005, 02:45 PM
OandA in their prime were the best. Ron and Fez are way funnier then anything else out there.

Howards a Hypocrite.

IndieMatty
02-24-2005, 02:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Their stunt of bringing 50 homeless people by bus to the Short Hills mall with $200 or so in spending cash each was absolutely hysterical.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kevmath
02-24-2005, 02:46 PM
I'm no stock market expert, but when you have about 1 billion more shares outstanding than your competitor, I'm sure it helps.

Kevin..

Kevmath
02-24-2005, 02:48 PM
I second what Indie says about R+F, although their WNEW shows are usually much better than their current shows.

Kevin...

IndieMatty
02-24-2005, 02:51 PM
WNEW hit its peak when I was a senior in college, I would listen to them pretty much 24/7. The only show that sucked was Don and Mike, and even they had their moments. Man I miss that.

willie
02-24-2005, 04:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

extremely funny

bums just running around like mad in a mall filled with rich li jap moms

i feel that they are getting back into form with each show that i listen to. It takes a while to regenerate the chemistry that ope-ant- and lil jimmy norton had after being off the air for 15 months or so.

you can't tell someone what is funny, but i just disagree completely. Howard is still amusing sometimes, my personal taste falls in the O&A category though so arguing an opinion is a moot point.

pindawg
02-24-2005, 06:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
They asked me a few questions and then went off on a vulgar exchange that was absolutely appalling. I’m a gay poker player and they wanted to do was curse about nasty hetero sex and random garbage about titties.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's official ... Danny Boy is homosexual.

Sluss
02-24-2005, 06:45 PM
Just spent five minutes reading Indy's avatar. Nice /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

drewjustdrew
02-24-2005, 06:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
this is another case of stern trying to take credit for something he is really just following.

[/ QUOTE ]

What were the previous cases?

O&A were on in chicago for a year or so before getting canned. They were nothing special and I would guess they still are.

johnfromvirginia
02-24-2005, 09:30 PM
I agree. O&A used to be on in New York in the afternoon and I thought they were hysterical. I haven't heard them for years though. Ron & Fez also very funny.

DesertCat
02-25-2005, 01:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm no stock market expert, but when you have about 1 billion more shares outstanding than your competitor, I'm sure it helps.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shares outstanding doesn't affect your market cap. And I think Sirius's market cap is way too high, even with Howard. But my point was just announcing Howard got investors so excited they added billions to their estimate in value. Not bad for a guy who's over the hill and all washed up...

John Deere
02-25-2005, 01:22 AM
I used to be a huge Don & Mike fan (I started listening to them when I was in 3rd grade, back in like 1990!). They were really good up until just a few years ago. They just hit a point where they got too old and really aren't very funny any more.

I listen to the local sports show on the drive home now, most of the time.

The best thing going in DC radio right now is The Junkies (previously the Sports Junkies). They originally had a syndicated nighttime show, but then moved to another local station owned by the same company to do a local morning drive show for more money. That station (WHFS) switch to Spanish format a month or two ago, so now they are back on the same local talker as Stern and D&M, doing mid-days. Their contract is up in the fall, and hopefully they can get a better deal worked out.

Tacjedi
02-25-2005, 02:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Shares outstanding doesn't affect your market cap. And I think Sirius's market cap is way too high, even with Howard. But my point was just announcing Howard got investors so excited they added billions to their estimate in value. Not bad for a guy who's over the hill and all washed up...

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="red"> Market capitalization (market cap) </font> is a company's total stock market value, calculated by multiplying the price of a single share by the total number of shares outstanding.

Shares outstanding does affect affect market capitalization a lot.

I will however agree that a company with 2 million shares outstanding priced at $1/share is not more valuable than a company w/ 1 share outstanding priced at $2,000,000.

johnfromvirginia
02-25-2005, 02:08 AM
I am SHOCKED that WHFS switched to a Spanish format. I grew up in NoVa and HFS was one of my favorite stations. I'm astounded that their old format failed. I must really be getting old.

DesertCat
02-25-2005, 04:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]

<font color="red"> Market capitalization (market cap) </font> is a company's total stock market value, calculated by multiplying the price of a single share by the total number of shares outstanding.

Shares outstanding does affect affect market capitalization a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

The market cap is the value of the companies equity at today's market price. It's immaterial how many shares the company has.

To calculate it requires multiplying the current market price with total shares outstanding. Contradictory? Not really. If the company issues twice as many shares tomorrow, i.e. a stock split (and nothing else changes) then the price per share should drop by half, but the market cap will stay the same.

Now of course I'm simplifying. There are people who think because the stock split they should buy it, and the price isn't going to trade exactly at half. And commonly when companies issue new stock they sell it, changing company valuation, yada yada yada.

But my main point remains. Market price is the "sale price" quoted by the market to buy the all of the company's shares. You need to know shares outstanding to calculate it, but changing the shares outstanding doesn't change the market cap.

The orignal poster was trying to make a connection between the large number of shares Sirius had issued, with it's market cap. Sirius doesn't owe it's large market cap to having lots of shares, it owes it's large market cap to investors who don't know how to value it properly and way overpay for Sirius stock.