PDA

View Full Version : Foxwoods 10/20 hand...

Shang Chou
02-23-2005, 10:00 PM
Very very passive game. I had sat down and got KK twice, QQ, JJ, AK suited, and AKoff within the first 3 rotations. Naturally, I had been raising A LOT. I won all of these hands except for one KK where someone with A3 called me down and hit an A on the river. I can't blame him; I probably had raised 5 out of the last 8 hands in a row.

Anyway, I am a 22 year old guy with a backwards hat sporting a wifebeater and sweat pants and flip flops. The rest of my table has a median age of ohhh about 75. Naturally, the combined factors of my appearance/age as well as my aggressive play created some "interesting table dynamics."

I heard a lot of grumbling under their breath and stuff like "let the young guy call you, hes got tons of money."

Anyway, the following hand came down and I knew pretty much where I stood and that I had the losing hand. But I didn't like giving up the aggressive image and in the slight chance the guy was just betting ace hi or a small pair, I didnt want to let him feel like he got away with something.

3 people limp ahead of me and I look down and find 55 on the button. In my mind I hear Sammy Hagar sing "I CANT DRIVE 55!!!" So I limp.

SB calls, BB checks.

Flop is 77Q. It checks around to me. I check. Hmm...I wonder if anyone has a 7 or a Q.

Turn is 3. It checks around to me again. Hmm...maybe someone missed the c-raise and is going for it again? I dunno, but I'll pay 20 bucks to find out. Everyone folds except for the guy to my right who also limped in.

River is a 4. He bets into me.

100ish in the pot and it costs me 20 to call. I figure if h es got a Q hes not doing this and most likes this means a 7 or A4 or some crap like that. One of those hands where he has basically the nuts or has some crappy pair with an ace kicker which my 55 can beat. But I rationalized, more often than not, this means a 7 or a boat because he knows I am not betting that river unless I have a 7 myself and doesn't want to lose a bet. Basically, I know I'm beat.

I really shoulda folded but I still called, given my read that 99% of the time I have the worst hand. What's everyone think?

Shang Chou
02-23-2005, 10:05 PM
My question really has nothing to do with the cards or what hands we all held. Basically, I want to know if I am giving up too much if I fold here. I dont want others to think I am "bluffable" or that if they just bet into me on the river I will fold after I bet the turn. It is gonna make the rest of my table harder to play against so why not pay 20 bucks now?

In hindsight, since I am a cheap bastard who rather likes his 20 dollars, I shoulda flipped over one 5 and said "awwww you caught me, I got 5 hi."

This woulda cemented the thought that I am aggressive and will bet 5 hi when checked to in my opponents head. Also, it will show that I am not making a "laydown" because making laydowns is what great no limit players do and we are playing limit.

Agree or disagree?

DrGutshot
02-23-2005, 11:19 PM
I am surprised you were so close to folding...if he has a hand that beats you, he played it terribly.

You don't think he could be betting with K4 or something here to try to get a call from ace high?

If your read is strong enough, fold. I'm calling this one without a good read though.

-DrG

sublime
02-23-2005, 11:38 PM
i would bet the flop also

imported_stealthcow
02-23-2005, 11:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am surprised you were so close to folding...if he has a hand that beats you, he played it terribly.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think he's safe to be behind - unless you really think he'd limp with an A4 here. (66 and being scared with a weak queen are more likely)

i like showing the 5 and asking if 5high would be good. if not only to cement your image, he might give you a look of what he has

stealthcow-

chesspain
02-24-2005, 01:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Basically, I want to know if I am giving up too much if I fold here. I dont want others to think I am "bluffable" or that if they just bet into me on the river I will fold after I bet the turn. It is gonna make the rest of my table harder to play against so why not pay 20 bucks now?

[/ QUOTE ]

You pay the $20 because there is a way better than 20% chance that you have the best hand.

[ QUOTE ]
In hindsight, since I am a cheap bastard who rather likes his 20 dollars, I shoulda flipped over one 5 and said "awwww you caught me, I got 5 hi."

This woulda cemented the thought that I am aggressive and will bet 5 hi when checked to in my opponents head. Also, it will show that I am not making a "laydown" because making laydowns is what great no limit players do and we are playing limit.

Agree or disagree?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you did this after calling it would show that you are a dick.

If you did this after saying "Fold," it would show that you are an idiot.

If you did this before declaring your action, it would suggest that you are a dick and an idiot.

Take your pick.

Shang Chou
02-24-2005, 05:02 PM
Thanks dude. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

U R such a meanie bro.

sfer
02-24-2005, 05:31 PM
I think you're thinking too hard about this. It costs 1 BB to look him up.

Kurwood Derby
02-24-2005, 05:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, I am a 22 year old guy with a backwards hat sporting a wifebeater and sweat pants and flip flops.

The rest of my table has a median age of ohhh about 75. Naturally, the combined factors of my appearance/age as well as my aggressive play created some "interesting table dynamics."

[/ QUOTE ]

Translation: They all realized that I'm an idiot.

DalaiLama
02-24-2005, 05:59 PM
What Would Haggar Do? WWHD Call.

Garland
02-24-2005, 08:40 PM
Your post does not indicate whether the flop or turn produced a flush draw. Anyhow I would...

1) bet the flop
2) call the river, barring a particular read.
3) for some bizarre reason I put my opponent on either a busted draw or 56 for the rivered gutshot.

Garland

elysium
02-24-2005, 11:28 PM
hi shang

in this type game, a lot of times you will be checked to as the raiser. if that's the case here, then you should raise the pre-flop. this gives you a chance to spike on the flop if you fail to flop a set.

you don't raise pre-flop, and that's fine, but when checked to on the flop, you have to feel pretty good that no one is going for a check-raise. i think you need to bet. bet the flop.

on the river, since your opponent may think that you are betting based on weakness shown, you must call. you are clearly getting correct odds. these type sudden reversals should not usually be folded to except against very tight opponents.

Shang Chou
02-25-2005, 04:25 AM
Thanks for the advice Elysium. Yea, I absolutely hate it when opponents do that reversal crap against me. It confuses the hell out of me and my tendency is to get over aggro and raise only to find myself looking at a 3 bet.

etizzle
02-25-2005, 04:31 AM
yes he probably has a 7.

But not more than 6/7 times. Call and lose.