PDA

View Full Version : Good BBQ in Atlanta?

stanky
02-23-2005, 09:31 PM
I'm going to be in Atlanta for a convention Thursday and Friday, where can I get some kick ass BBQ?

-Pete

Ulysses
02-23-2005, 09:36 PM
Fat Matt's Rib Shack.

shadow29
02-23-2005, 09:39 PM
Go to The Varsity instead.

Also, Low Country BBQ is the best in town. It's not a restaurunt, though. You phone in your order and go pick it up.

AEKDBet
02-23-2005, 09:41 PM
sonny's is a good all u can eat joint with pork, chicken, and BBQ. Although there is nothing exceptional about their BBQ... although I was spoiled growing up in eastern North Carolina.

Daddy D'z BBQ and Rolling Bones BBQ are highly recommended.
Link (http://atlanta.citysearch.com/search?cw1=11&flavor_id=2&constrained=1&cslink=cs_ restaurants_cw1_11&started=1&ulink=section_2_brows ecuisine_7___search__1)

AEKDBet
02-23-2005, 09:42 PM
The varsity is disgusting. You will crap oil.

shadow29
02-23-2005, 09:48 PM
Sonny's is disgusting. You will crap oil.

anyway, the Varsity is just something you have to do.

stanky
02-23-2005, 10:31 PM
OK, after some research it looks like Daddy D'z or Fat Matt's. Will I be risking night cramps and mudbutt by going to both places in one night.

Thanks for the responses.

-Pete

peachy
02-23-2005, 10:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Go to The Varsity instead.

Also, Low Country BBQ is the best in town. It's not a restaurunt, though. You phone in your order and go pick it up.

[/ QUOTE ]

u boys and the varsity!! thats TOO much grease for this girlie!!

There r a TON of good BBQ places in atlanta...which side of the city r u gonna be on??

Daddy Ds and Fat Matts r good...Smokey Bones isnt HORRIBLE (they have good brunswick stew) but they have those other places so go to one of the original ones in the city

OrangeHeat
02-23-2005, 10:44 PM
Texas

KungFuSandwich
02-24-2005, 02:15 AM
If you got alot of free time and are a true BBQ coinisseur you have to go to old clinton, in clinton GA. Its the best in Georgia, and maybe even the world.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v301/kungfusandwich/clinton.jpg

For you Georgia folks heres a list of the best.

BBQ=Old Clinton
HotDog=NuWay in Macon(and its not even close)
Breakfast=Larrys in monticello I think, some where on the road between macon and athens. Its a small town (barely can be considered that) the one with those crazy Nuabian people and the Champion General store. Their hamburger is also amazing. Maybe some other Ga folks can clarify

ClaytonN
02-24-2005, 02:21 AM
My Dad is an amateur food critic in the metro atlanta area for an Atlanta cuisine website, and he says in his 25-odd years in Atlanta he's never found an overly great BBQ place.

I like Fatt Matt's, but we eat our BBQ at home with a Big Green Egg.

Also, wtf with the Varsity? They are not a BBQ place. In the 4-5 times I've been there I've always gotten a chili dog, a cheeseburger, and a frosted orange. Or something like that.

shadow29
02-24-2005, 08:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Also, wtf with the Varsity? They are not a BBQ place.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. They're not BBQ, just somewhere to which you have to go if you come to Atlanta.

Caruso329
02-24-2005, 08:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]

BBQ=Old Clinton
HotDog=NuWay in Macon(and its not even close)
Breakfast=Larrys in monticello I think, some where on the road between macon and athens. Its a small town (barely can be considered that) the one with those crazy Nuabian people and the Champion General store. Their hamburger is also amazing. Maybe some other Ga folks can clarify

[/ QUOTE ]

BBQ, I can't comment on. Where is Clinton in Georgia? I'm in Milledgeville.
Hotdogs, NuWay is teh shizzle.
Breakfast, I haven't found my breakfast capitol yet. Oh and that little town is Eatonton. It's not that small, it's about 15 minutes from where I'm at. Oh and the Nuwabians sold all their land because of the New York scandal with their leader.

Shajen
02-24-2005, 09:46 AM
too bad you can't get up north near Lake Lanier.

Pappy Red's is probably the best in Atlanta.

Slopes is pretty good too (can you tell I live north of downtown? /images/graemlins/smile.gif )