PDA

View Full Version : PT: 223 Files & p3 866 mhz

Maulik
02-23-2005, 08:58 PM
Approximately, how long does it take PT to catalouge 223 files on my slow arse machine? So far 20mins, with nothing but Mozilla open. And windows isn't telling me its frozen.

amirpc
02-23-2005, 09:25 PM
a couple months ago I imported around 180 files from long long 4 tabling sessions on a p4 3.06 ghz 1 gig of ram and a fast drive, I started it at like 8 am and when I got back from class at 4pm it was still going. It had finished when I got back from the bars around 2am. Probably atleast a full day I'd imagine on a machine that slow, depending on how long the session are the hands are for.

Maulik
02-23-2005, 09:38 PM
should I break it down so I don't have to worry about my computer crashing?

amirpc
02-23-2005, 09:39 PM
Its not a horrible idea if you're only 20 minutes in. I believe if an import stops and crashes halfway through the hands that are already imported are still fine, but at the very least it'll have to re-read the files and find out if the hand has been imported which will take time as well.

PokerNoob
02-23-2005, 10:54 PM
I made the mistake of using an old PIII class machine as my dedicated poker computer. The poker clients are fine, but PT really bogs down autoimporting tables. Need to upgrade.

Maulik
02-23-2005, 11:05 PM
I'm manually doing this, directory by directory and its going much faster, I should be done in 45 mins, and I'm sure I have at least 300 files. It seems to be the way the database is extracting information from the text files is causing buffer problems or poorly managing ram.

Maulik
02-24-2005, 12:13 AM
done.

where do I define who I am?

PSUinDC
02-24-2005, 12:30 PM
Yeah, it's a reall pain. I've been developing my own PT-like program (with a few differences), and the main thing that I see is that parsing the text files takes a long ass time.

My program, in trials, has been doing like 400 hands in 10 minutes (though, alot of this slowness is due to the fact that it takes that long to send a database update query to my central server)... so God knows how many hands are in each one of your files, but text parsing and database updating is pretty memory intensive no matter what machine you use.