PDA

View Full Version : A5o flops trips from SB

greg nice
02-23-2005, 07:55 PM
is this a flop preflop?

what do you think about it

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, Hero completes, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP3 calls, Button calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (12 SB) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, MP3 calls, Button calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (8.50 BB) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, MP3 calls, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, MP3 folds, Button calls.

River: (17.50 BB) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG folds, Button calls.

Final Pot: 20.50 BB

btspider
02-23-2005, 08:05 PM
wasn't there a hand just like this recently?

your flop check-call sucks.

greg nice
02-23-2005, 08:07 PM
i figured im either gonna get to check/raise the field on flop or turn. i chose turn.

Shillx
02-23-2005, 08:09 PM
Check/raise the flop. That is a super easy value check/raise.

Brad

milesdyson
02-23-2005, 08:10 PM
I'll play A9o+ (maybe A8o depending on limpers) in that position. I don't mind check raising the flop or waiting for the turn to do it (if you know BB will bet), but I would hit the flop because of the two hearts.

btspider
02-23-2005, 08:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i figured im either gonna get to check/raise the field on flop or turn. i chose turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

he might check the turn, people may not call his turn bet if he does bet. check-raise the flop everytime.

as for PF, this is the similar hand:
this (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Number=1780363&amp;page=&amp;view=&amp;sb=5&amp; o=&amp;vc=1)

greg nice
02-23-2005, 08:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]

he might check the turn, people may not call his turn bet if he does bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

hrm very true. good point. plus if hes got an overpair, which he did, he might even 3 bet me on the flop

LoaferGee12
02-23-2005, 08:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'll play A9o+ (maybe A8o depending on limpers) in that position. I don't mind check raising the flop or waiting for the turn to do it, but I probably would hit the flop because of the two hearts.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are check-raising here to get as much $ in the pot as you can. Not to "protect" your hand from the flush draws which are coming along no matter how much money you put in the pot. Waiting for the turn is awful. First off, if the BB just has two big cards, he is more than likely to check here and having it checked through would be awful. Secondly, all the people that called the flop are going to call 1 more in a heartbeat on the flop. Many of the players that called with high cards will fold the turn and thus you won't be getting the near the money you could have.

Shillx
02-23-2005, 08:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
but I probably would hit the flop because of the two hearts.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not a good reason to check/raise the flop. Our equity goes up by about 5% on a rainbow board in this spot. Odds are that there is about a 80% chance that no one flopped a flush draw. We are check/raising the flop because people will call now with all kinds of weak hands that they won't call with on the turn.

Brad

milesdyson
02-23-2005, 08:21 PM
Note a couple edits in my post.. and I'm not saying at all that check raising the flop would be for protection - where did you get that? I never elaborated, but it's because I know that on the flop I am ahead, and want those with four flushes (or single hearts) to put their money in while I'm sure I'm ahead.

LoaferGee12
02-23-2005, 08:24 PM
I got this because you said to check-raise because of the two hearts. The way you said it sounded like you would be less inclined to check-raise if the board was rainbow. This makes no sense as the hand that has the best chance to draw on us right now is the flush draw.

DMBFan23
02-23-2005, 08:34 PM
Hi greg,

this is a loose complete from the SB, I usually save the weak offsuit aces for shorthanded pots. (ie one limper in MP, folded to me.)

others have commented on postflop, I agree with them.