PDA

View Full Version : Music while playing in B&M

KowCiller
02-23-2005, 07:02 PM
When I went to Vegas last week I was surprised to see so many people with IPod (or other MP3 player) in hand when they sat at the table. At one point as many as half of the players at my NL table at the Bellagio had their ear-phones in listening to music.

How many of you regularly listen to music while playing ring games?

What about tournaments?

Do you feel it helps or hinders your concentration and feel for the table?

All thoughts appreciated.

KoW

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-23-2005, 07:07 PM
I have no problem with people listening to music as long as it doesn't cause them to slow the game down. Personally, I will listen to music, but only if the table is dead silent/serious and I only put it in one ear - the one away from the dealer and/or most of the action. I also keep the volume down low - the main thing I hear is still the table action. I have yet to miss something that I wouldn't have missed anyway because it was just spoken too softly. If people are talkative or I'm worried about potentially killing a fun atmosphere, I keep the music in my pocket.

Zez
02-23-2005, 07:09 PM
Don't know how other people do it. It distracts me.

And it can be annoying when the dealer has to loudly repeat things to the ipod wearer. Not a problem if the ipoder is paying attention, but my experience is they sink into their own little world and have to be altered that it's time to put out the BB or time to wake up and check/bet/raise.

toots
02-23-2005, 07:56 PM
Man, I bet if we saw three name brand players on TV shave their heads and wear purple lipstick, three weeks later, half the posers in the B&Ms would be doing it.

KowCiller
02-24-2005, 02:07 AM
I agree. I guess the weird thing is that in my local B&M of choice, I don't believe I've seen anyone listening to music while they play. It was something I saw in vegas for the first time in person -- yet it was so widespread.

Just curious how many 2+2'ers have jumped onto this bandwagon.

KoW

underaged
02-24-2005, 11:57 AM
I do it because it makes me happy. I keep it real low and pay attention to action when I'm in on a hand though.

Abagadro
02-24-2005, 12:26 PM
I do it under certain circumstances, namely when the table is boring. I find that if I get too bored, I start playing hands I usually wouldn't just to have something to do. I think this is a symptom of playing so much online.

It also has a weird effect of helping me pick up tells. For some reason when the normal audio of the table is obscured and I am watching people when not in a hand, I can see their ticks better. (shrug)

I put in on low and am still very atuned to the game though so as not to slow it down.

coolhandkuhn
02-24-2005, 12:30 PM
I'm an iPod listener wherever I go...not just for poker. I think it is the best purchase I've ever made. I now have a device that attaches to it that will hijack an unused radio frequency and let me listen to it on my car stereo.

Not everyone who has an MP3 player at the table is trying to do the next cool thing...some of us just like music.

Benefits for my poker game: when I'm listening to music, I play tighter --- I'm not so anxious to get involved w/my KT suited, when I can happily fold and concentrate on whatever song I'm listening too. It also helps me tune out the table coaches who like to lecture about anything and everything, as well as the inane chatter from anyone else.

Downsides are that I'm missing some of the post hand chatter about who had what occasionally, and that having it on brings an air of seriousness to the game sometimes that I would rather not be present. All in all, though, minor trade-offs for the joy the thing brings me.

toots
02-24-2005, 12:34 PM
Yes, but I'm 100% sure that anyone who is doing it just to do the next cool thing will have a totally plausible sounding rationalization for why they do it. And will totally deny doing it just because the role models are wearing purple lipstick.

It's so farging predictable nowadays. I was at FW the other day playing BJ. Someone with the official "poker dude" uniform came and sat at the table. I asked him what the heck he was doing at a BJ table and why he wasn't playing poker. Without missing a beat, he replied that he'd just busted out of the tournament.

When poker players are that recognizable, any claims of individuality are hard to swallow.

SharkBait
02-24-2005, 01:11 PM
I often listen to music while playing but keep the volume low. Occasionally in a long session I will crank up some upbeat song to get the focus back. The one time it may have actually "helped" my game was in the WPT event in the Bahamas. I got in a big hand with Negraneau and he did his typical chatting trying to start a conversation. I just stared ahead (had quads)and finally somebody said to him "don't bother he can't hear you." Of course, I heard everything and he paid off my quads. Probably the highlight of my short poker career.

coolhandkuhn
02-24-2005, 01:21 PM
congratulations on stereotyping everyone correctly, then; truly you have insight that I can only aspire to acquire through my fad following faze.

In summation: Nit!

trevorwc
02-24-2005, 01:27 PM
I'm an admitted I-pod user. Like a couple of other posters, I do it because I otherwise get bored and start playing hands that I shouldn't. However, it is only in one ear, and very quiet. I can hear everything going on at the table, and am still very talkative with the other players. It just helps for those times when things slow down. Also, I work for a radio station doing play-by-play and need to get to the games an hour + early to set up and make sure things are okay. I bring my i-pod there to kill time and have something to do while waiting. If you think this is just to be cool, then fine, I am cool - but I agree with another poster that this is one of the best investments I've made. Other than my HDTV /images/graemlins/grin.gif

dld
02-24-2005, 03:16 PM
I don't think any of the rooms in KC allow headphones to be worn at the table.

lighterjobs
02-24-2005, 03:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I do it under certain circumstances, namely when the table is boring. I find that if I get too bored, I start playing hands I usually wouldn't just to have something to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto. I only play limit and the table is usually talkative so I don't want to be the kid who is sitting down there with his headphones on. I just leave mine out in the car and have only went and gotten it once whenever the table was boring. usually if I am bored I just leave, but this time I just tried it out.

Asufiji2004
02-24-2005, 03:51 PM
Doing the opposite of what is trendy, has become a trend of its own. If you do something because you enjoy it, that's all that really matters. People like toots are no more unique than people who conform.

toots
02-24-2005, 04:02 PM
Nothing unique about me.

I'm just your run of the mill people-hating crank.

All you posers who just happen to follow the trend, while pretending to do those things because you came to it independently, just provides a source of entertainment for me.

Keep it up. My clones and I will appreciate it.

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-24-2005, 04:04 PM
I think the point is that there are people who genuinely just want to listen to music and you're not doing yourself or anyone else any favors by automatically assuming they're following some trend. Are you some mindless sheep because you're on the poker bandwagon when it's the cool thing to do?

toots
02-24-2005, 04:07 PM
Yes, I am.

DenverPokerClub
02-24-2005, 04:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Nothing unique about me.

I'm just your run of the mill people-hating crank.

All you posers who just happen to follow the trend, while pretending to do those things because you came to it independently, just provides a source of entertainment for me.

Keep it up. My clones and I will appreciate it.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow in this whole thread I don't think 1 person said they came up with the idea. who really cares where it came from. if it helps and makes you happy - so be it.

mrkilla
02-24-2005, 04:29 PM
I prefer to here table chatter then music i guess. I've been debating getting one for a long time [for my car and I guess for Poker now ] and I never can decied. If the tables dead I'll try and start a convo. Reasoning is simple you become "friendly" people you get better reads later and they tend to soft play there good hands againts you.
I guess I'd rather save teh 400 bucks for another buy in /images/graemlins/smile.gif

smoore
02-24-2005, 04:40 PM
I'm waiting to see the Oakley sunglasses/MP3 player combo at the table... only a matter of time /images/graemlins/wink.gif

As far as people listening to music, I don't care as long as the're not slowing down action. I'm too paranoid to lose one of my senses around agitated, drunk people though... if there's a problem behind me I'll be the last to know.

Voltron87
02-24-2005, 04:52 PM
In tournaments I always have my iPod. I generally listen to music pretty loud with this nice sound blocking headphones just so I can drown everything out and concentrate. I follow all the action so I never slow things down. I sometimes listen to music in cash games, but a lot of the time I am playing with 2-3 people I know so I keep up a conversation. But in tournaments headphones help me concentrate on my strategy and approach since they drown other distractions out.

terrapin314
02-24-2005, 11:27 PM
I have owned an iPod for years, but never take it into a poker room. Unfortunately, I don't want to be "that guy".